Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1
piatti
macrumors 6502a

How can I make Apple or other tech companies to make this possible and get paid too

I have an idea that I think is almost revolutionary, that utilizes already existing technologies.
It's something that I can tell Amazon / Apple/ Samsung or other companies for free by posting the idea online or emailing them.
But I'm not sure if they'll listen to me, and in the event that they do, I will be paid for my revolutionary idea.

So, how can I protect this idea, which won't take much time to actually implement for companies, and get paid for it?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:37 PM   #2
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Apply for a patent?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:51 AM   #3
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Is it selling music on the internet?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:55 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
I had an idea to put music on chips( before "they" did), did not patent it, look where I am now, if it's a genuinely good idea patent it.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:11 PM   #5
waloshin
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
I had an idea to put music on chips( before "they" did), did not patent it, look where I am now, if it's a genuinely good idea patent it.
What is a chip?
waloshin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:11 PM   #6
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
What is a chip?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:22 PM   #7
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post

For people who don't speak British:
Thumb resize.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:24 PM   #8
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
For people who don't speak British:
A broken thumbnail. Use your imagination, Yanks!]
Fixed.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:13 PM   #9
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post

Can I have the fish now.

Chip, another name for an integrated circuit
Chip, another name for a microprocessor
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:37 AM   #10
piatti
macrumors 6502a

I searched how to patent but I would like a more streamlined answer catered for my particular need. Where should I ask
piatti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:06 PM   #11
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by piatti View Post
I searched how to patent but I would like a more streamlined answer catered for my particular need. Where should I ask
A lawyer's office. Seriously. If the idea is that good, invest the money is good legal advice.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:10 PM   #12
heehee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I can't speak for other industries, but I know for a fact Proctor and Gamble does not take ideas from outsiders. First, they probably thought of the idea and either working on it or it won't work. Second, it's waiting for a lawsuit if it's successful.
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:35 PM   #13
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee View Post
I can't speak for other industries, but I know for a fact Proctor and Gamble does not take ideas from outsiders. First, they probably thought of the idea and either working on it or it won't work. Second, it's waiting for a lawsuit if it's successful.
We had a similar policy at Motorola. Any communication that hinted at an idea was sent to legal.
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:47 PM   #14
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I have an idea that I think is almost revolutionary, that utilizes already existing technologies.
It's something that I can tell Amazon / Apple/ Samsung or other companies for free by posting the idea online or emailing them.
But I'm not sure if they'll listen to me, and in the event that they do, I will be paid for my revolutionary idea.

So, how can I protect this idea, which won't take much time to actually implement for companies, and get paid for it?
Ideas are cheap & easy, dime a dozen.

If you think it's worth money, you'll need to hire a patent attorney and go through the patent process (this will cost you a few thousand dollars). Then you'll want to have funding to defend the patent in the event that someone (Amazon/Apple/Samsung) decides to go ahead and implement your idea without licensing your patent. If you have backing for that kind of fight, great - if not your best bet will be to try & sell the patent to someone after it's issued, and let them go after anyone else who is violating it.

If your idea is for a service that you can provide (rather than just trying to get someone to pay you for your idea that they would implement themselves) then of course you can start a company to provide that service, and possibly position yourself to be bought out by one of the big boys.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:15 AM   #15
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Can I have the fish now.

Chip, another name for an integrated circuit
Chip, another name for a microprocessor

Needs gravy
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:19 AM   #16
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
There is no such thing as "I have an idea. Let's get someone to make it for me with no effort and reel in the profits."

If you want to profit from your idea, you need to put the time and effort in. Patent it (if you don't understand the patent system - you'll need to pay for a proper Patent lawyer). Neither patents or patent lawyers come cheap.

P.S. Everyone thinks their own ideas are revolutionary. If it uses current tech, it probably isn't.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion