Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy an 10.1" iBook / G3 400 / 128mb RAM / OSX10.1 for $400?

• Yes

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Look at this image before answering please!

teninchibook.jpg

Actually, this should be $400

What do you think, this may they are not making a PDA but are making a REALLY portable and CHEAP computer.

Basicly I don't like taking my PowerbookG4 to school cause sooner or later I know it will get nicked. The 10" iBook would be so small it could be taken anywhere and so cheap you could just add it to an existing order of another machine. I BET people would buy this when they bought a G4 Powermac.

Its battery life would be approx. 6 hours, it would have almost full size keys (plus USB port next to Power socket for Keyboard and Mouse ONLY) No Optical Drive. But Firewire and Ethernet. When plugged into another mac it automaticly becomes a disk (Like firewire mode) as has Ethernet to connect to another machine or network. Possibly a 56k modem but I havent added it yet!

at g3 400mhz / 128mb RAM it would be no speed demon or Photoshop machine but would be enough for E-mail, Web and Input of Data in a school

It would have airport as standard and would also connect through a phone.

Due to Apple promissing NO PDA (Probably) this may work cause its not a PDA but could be used in a similar way!

What do you think, check it out on http://homepage.mac.com/benvp/

The Extension of this is about the size one would be. :)

Attachments

• ibook10realidea.jpg
    ibook10realidea.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 245

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
With those specs they could charge $649, and everyone will get one, they should also make a bundle package with an ipod for $996

Tomasz

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
Berkeley, California
DavidCL23 has a makes a good point...

If they made that "PDA" and put an iPod along with it for a price of ~950, I would buy it. And others would as well. This would give people more devices for different parts of life at a price that wouldn't be too bad.

Tomasz

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
it looks really phony to me..you start selling those 10 inchers and that will most likely prevent the other iBooks (the 12.1 and 14 inch) from selling as much as they should be. It seems more like a half-ass effort on Apple's part than an innovative and cost effective product. I doubt that will ever replace any kind of PDA, no matter how much you people want another Newton.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Not bad..

I would say if you added an internal 56K modem so it can be used where there isn't broadband available (still >75% of all residences).. then it could be a hit. Why not have a lower end iBook.. cheaper than a new iMac and totally portable.. eh.. Hmm.. Could be another cube. I think it would be greatly criticized for not having any real ability for software installation.. without a CD drive and without broadband being the norm.. what's the point of even trying to hook it up to an iPod if you have no way to rip CDs with it.. I think the idea of selling something like a portable Mac in tandem with an MP3 player without it having a CD drive in the package would be criticized by press reviews as a pretty sad proposition assuming that most people would view this as an entry level computer product offering and not simply an accessory for use in tandem with another CD equipped Mac or PC.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Idea

The idea is not a replacement for a current computer or to be bought by a first hand user. Its supposed to compliment students who have an iMac or PowerMac and want to have something portable. 56k modem might be an idea. I would love to see one which is about 0.8" think. It would be sweet.

I think I might something like this to steve.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
I have a great suggestion, why not the $996 package with a 20gb ipod, and somehow the ipod docks into the laptop, which uses it as its HDD. Also I am sure they can stick a cheap 24x cd-rom somewhere in that machine. It will be a laptop for the masses. better make it an 11.3" lcd, 10.1" is way too small.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Cheap

After spending over £4000 on computers in the last year I really don't want to spend anymore for quite a while. Therefore I want a Mini (10.1 is fine for school text input etc. The same size (approx.) as the classic screens.

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
perfect for students and people who don't want to lug more than 4 pounds around

sony makes them and they sell

the lightweight, i assume this unit would be 3.5 lbs, would cost $999 at least since lightness is a premium feature in notebook computing

cubbie036

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2002
Honestly, How would you load anything on this machine. What if you need to redo the system or if there was to be a major OS update like the one from 10 to 10.1. That was not downloadable. Also... USB is USB! How would you limit it to just a mouse and keyboard? What the hell is the point of that! Overall I think is is a dumb idea. Not profitable at all.:mad:

networkman

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2002
california, usa
tell that to sony

tell that to compaq

tell that to toshiba

why do those makers make subnotebooks...there is a market for them...but maybe it is "small" but with apple's share dipping another percent, i am willing to see new horizons for apple inc

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I'd get one in a heartbeat!

I'd definitely pay $400 for a setup like that!

would be great if it were to include at least a USB, FireWire, & Ethernet connection....maybe 256 MB RAM.....then I could link it up to my PowerBook and bring files and such around with me all the time without worrying about the much more expensive PowerBook! Perfect for students and those on the go! Just like bringing a book with u.....and u wouldn't be as worried about the use and abuse on it! :p

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Only one problem...

Originator of post writes:
"Basically I don't like taking my PowerbookG4 to school cause sooner or later I know it will get nicked."

It's still a nice looking machine and has the Apple logo on it. So how would this reduce your fear of it not being nicked (stolen?)

Unless you're pointing at the price as a factor. Then you'd simply whip out another few hundred quid and get one another one?

(just pointing out one thing...other than that, it's a very nice effort and looks to be a credible idea!):)

cubbie036

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2002
sony,compaq, and toshiba make half computers. Those are crap. You have to buy a dock station or additional components to do anything with them. Why buy a computer that you have to lug a separate floppy drive, CD-ROM drive or whatever! Buy a real computer! Is our society becoming so lazy that caring around a 4lbs notebook is that much of an issue? If so that is sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.