Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1
mathcolo
macrumors 6502a

Java 7 Updater Broken?

Hey everyone, Oracle just came out with a Java patch (7u11) that fixes the latest security hole in the runtime environment. I tried updating my Java version with the Control Panel in System Preferences, but it appears as if the updater is broken, because I get an alert box that says "An error occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later."

Is it just me, or is it broken for you all as well?
[Retired]- Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
mathcolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:22 PM   #2
mathcolo
macrumors 6502a

Update: Here's a workaround, folks. If you need 7u11 but the built-in updater is still broken, you can reapply one of the OS X installers of either the JDK or the JRE from this page: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html

Best of luck, everyone
[Retired]- Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
mathcolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:47 PM   #3
AppliedMicro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcolo View Post
I tried updating my Java version with the Control Panel in System Preferences, but it appears as if the updater is broken, because I get an alert box that says "An error occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later."
May I ask how you did that? The PreferencePane in System Preferences "redirects" me to opening "Java Control Panel" - which still shows the currently installed "Java 7 - Update 9" as "recommended" version. Automatic update seems broken for me as well, and I don't even see any way of updating manually (other than going to the website and downloading the image). Also, it doesn't even "know" that there's an update out:

At the same time, Safari throws up error messages about the installed version being out of date. And, of course, Update 11 is available from Oracle. So despite security holes in the old version and a new one being out, it cannot update it.

Craptastic.
AppliedMicro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:05 PM   #4
mawool01
macrumors newbie

Java

I just went to oracles website and downloaded Java 7 11. It updated my pref pane Java Control Panel.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store