Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:29 PM   #1
mrmarts
macrumors 6502a

Should i go Mini

Hey guys

I got my first iPad 3 last year and love it, however I want something smaller that can easily fit in my small hands i know that the mini offers this however the question is the guts same or are the specs slower than that of the regular ipad, I am planning to hold off until a retina mini hits the shelf, however until than any differences any one can point out between the two will be helpful in my decision to get one.

Cheers
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:20 PM   #2
edrainkona
macrumors newbie

Got an iPad mini at launch and love it. I had an iPad 2 previously, and the processing specs are the same for it, so I didn't really notice any difference. You may notice some difference with intensive applications though. To me, reading magazines and books on the iPad mini is much better compared to the full size iPad. The iPad mini retina probably won't hit shelves until late Q3 of this year. If it matters at all, the resolution on the mini is the exact same as on the iPad 2, just in a smaller size.
edrainkona is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:21 PM   #3
M-5
macrumors 6502a

I believe the iPad mini has many of the same internals as the iPad 2. I had the iPad 2 almost two years ago, but I ended up selling it because I didn't use it much and couldn't justify the cost. I just purchased a mini though, and I really like it. It's easier to justify the cost (for me).

I had received a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas from someone last month, and I tried it out for a bit. The interface was pretty, but it was nothing like an iPad. I found it difficult to do basic tasks, and syncing things was obviously much more difficult since I already use iTunes with my iPhone. So I sold it and used the money for the mini.

The screen resolution isn't as good on the mini, but it's a much better device overall. I love the lighter weight and smaller footprint compared to the original iPad as well.

It does kind of suck going from a 64GB iPhone to a 16GB iPad however, but it isn't that bad. Still not sure if iTunes Match is worth it for me since I probably won't use it.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

I have both the iPad 3 and a Mini and love them both. The mini is much easier for me to hold for longer sessions and it gets used about 90% of the time. The lack of retina doesn't bother me in the least. My Kindle Fire found a new home with my nephew I'm happy to say. The Mini even in its present form is just a better experience IMHO. The Mini also recharges much quicker using Apples new 12w charger. I was forever waiting for the iPad 3 to recharge.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:16 AM   #5
T5BRICK
macrumors 68040

Ive only had mine for about a week, but the mini's form factor makes all the difference in the world. The screen isn't the greatest, but it's certainly sharper than my iPad2 or my old iPhone 3GS.

Overall it's a great device and find myself using it a lot.
T5BRICK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:15 AM   #6
BarryL
macrumors regular

Had mine for a week, lovin it!!
BarryL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:49 AM   #7
macness
macrumors 6502

Just got mine a couple of hours ago...LOVE IT!!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:35 AM   #8
Supa29
macrumors newbie

Got my iPad Mini before new years and I love it!!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:28 AM   #9
Night Spring
macrumors G3

I currently have both an iPad 3 and a mini. As far as performance goes, what I notice the most is Safari tabs. The mini reloads tabs much more frequently than the 3. I can keep 3-4 tabs open on my 3 and switch among them without waiting for any of them to reload, but on the mini, they'll reload. I consider it an acceptable trade off because the mini is so much lighter and easier to carry. Also, the mini tends to keep only 2-3 background apps open, while on the 3, I'd sometimes come back to an app hours later and find it still open. So the performance difference is there. Whether or not it is important to you is up to you.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:21 AM   #10
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Q = "Should I go Mini ?"

A = " Not with those thighs".......
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad