Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjmCreative

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Well I have been using my 27" iMac for a few days now and it works excellent. However I am kind of bummed that there is a scratch on the front that wasn't even caused by me. I also see some other marks here and there but not nearly the depth of this scratch I found.

For $2,600 I would think the exterior of this would be flawless. My screen is not yellow and there is no bleeding that is noticeable.

Would you replace it? Sorry the photo needs to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise

photo.JPG

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Oh yes, I'd return it for sure. No way would I settle for that, with such a huge investment especially...

Stevi

macrumors member
I'd return it. Six years ago I returned a 42" plasma TV for the same kind of scratch. The price difference between my soon to be arriving 27" iMac and accessories is about the same as that TV and the matching stand. In fact the store I bought the TV from came out and swapped it out for a brand new one. I'd hate to be staring at that every day.

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012
I would not ask other people its wether u can live with it or not... If u want to just call apple and see if u can keep that one until the new one comes if u decided to return it

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
it will affect resale value. Return that for sure. Don't let someone else screw you over financially in the long run especially a rich company.

The only time I would consider just letting it be would be if I were not planning to sell it. Maybe just give it away in 5 or 6 years and the contrast of it didn't bother me enough. Since I usually do give away my macs to family members it would depend on how noticeable the damage is. You say it is on the front, that would piss me off a bit especially when I need full concentration to work on it (not just a gaming machine like most people think computers are solely for)

rjmCreative

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks all for the replies. I don't plan on selling it at all since this is for work. The weird thing is that I didn't even see it until my flashlight hit it at a certain angle (from the right). In normal light I cannot even see it.

I just got this thing set up to my liking and I run the risk of receiving a new yet defective 27". I guess I'll call Apple and see how it goes. Either way its a risk....:mad:

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
it's a very personal thing like a lot of people have said. I'm not sure how I would feel. If you can't live with it...Have apple send you an advance replacement so you can have them side by side for a day and choose the one you want.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Only return it: a) for spite- teach them a lesson! b) if it was a gift for someone.

Otherwise I wouldn't care.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
I have a hard time understanding threads like this. What difference does it make whether any of us would exchange it or not?

In the end it matters whether you can live with it or not; if you're already putting so much thought into it then just return it for a new one. It wasn't cheap and it sounds like that's your gut instincts to me.

Personally I would exchange it for a new one without a second thought. I don't see what the debate is considering you can usually work out a way to keep the computer until you get your new one.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
yes return it, but will they accept it? what is the proof that it wasn't your mistake?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.