Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ck270

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I recently got an iPad, and to make a long story short, I dropped it. Thankfully the screen didn't shatter, but the screen does have some pretty nasty and deep scratches on it from the sand that was on the floor. If I were to take it to an Apple Store, does anyone think that they will replace it? Or will Apple just say it's my fault (which it is) and tell me that I'll have to either pay to replace the screen, or just to live with it?

I would like to know whether this is a possibility, because these deep scratches do bother me, and are quite visible, especially when something on the screen is white.

I've never had to go to the Apple Store in the past to ask for a replacement device with this iPad, or any of my previous Apple devices. Could this be a contributing factor that could help me out, or is that detail just irrelevant?

Other details: This is the 4th generation iPad (16 GB);It was purchased at a third party retailer (Future Shop) ;I've had a few other issues with this iPad, such as wifi connectivity issues and a few battery issues which seem to come and go, and aren't an issue most of the time.

So, if anyone can give me any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. If you have had to go and replace your iPad, or any other Apple device, please let me know what your experiences were like. Lastly, is this even a possibility, or just a dream?

If anyone can help, thanks. I really appreciate it.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
You didn't buy AppleCare + for it? You can try Apple. Worst case scenario, they say no. Did you purchase with a credit card? If so, contact them to see if they will cover it.

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
If you didn't purchase AppleCare or AppleCare+, i doubt it. However since you bought the iPad at a Third-Party Seller. And it has quite a few problems. It's probably a faulty iPad 4, and at best. You head over to your nearest Apple Store and explain to them about your situation. Tell them about the deep cracks and scratches. And about the other problems you have had while using it. Hopefully they can replace your iPad 4 with a new one.

Hope this helps!

ck270

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Thanks for the information. Hopefully they'll replace it for me.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Why would you expect Apple to replace a product that you damaged? If you dent your car is it the manufacturer's responsibility to repair the vehicle? This is some messed-up thinking.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
One of life's little lessons: we are responsible for the things we break, whether by accident or on purpose. It's not the manufacturer's responsibility to pay the cost of repair. It's the owner's (or whoever broke the item).

A suggestion: look into Worth Avenue Group for insurance coverage for breakage, spills, etc. Unlike other insurers, Worth Avenue also covers theft.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Sadly I didn't purchace AppleCare. :(

People only think Protection isn't a good idea until you need it. Did they offer it you? I'll buy anything that covers something I can break myself. I have Best Buy's accidental damage and they gave me a brand new iPad 3 from a 2 because I paid full price at the time. No one ever plans on accidents happening, that's why their called accidents.:D

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
A screen protector probably would have helped. Each person needs to take whatever precautions that person is willing to deal with whether it's a screen protector, case, insurance, just dealing with the damage, paying for the repair/replacement, some combination, etc.

Sadly I didn't purchace AppleCare. :(
The can replace it as out of warranty replacement.
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=ipad
Out-of-Warranty Service
If you own an iPad that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will replace your iPad with an iPad that is new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

iPad model Out-of-Warranty Service Fee
iPad mini $219
iPad 3rd, 4th generation $299
iPad 2, iPad $249
A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if service is arranged through Apple and requires shipping. All fees are in US dollars and are subject to local tax.

Certain damage is ineligible for out-of-warranty service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications. However, an iPad that has failed due to contact with liquid may be eligible for out-of-warranty service.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPad is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. Replacement iPads have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare service contract coverage, whichever is longer. Please see the AppleCare+ for iPad and Apple Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.

Warranty covers manufacturing defects, not damage that you caused. AppleCare+ is a bit different in that you get 2 incident for damage. If you want damage coverage then buy it.

I've never had to go to the Apple Store in the past to ask for a replacement device with this iPad, or any of my previous Apple devices. Could this be a contributing factor that could help me out, or is that detail just irrelevant?
Irrelevant. Again, it's not a manufacturing defect. It's damage that you caused.

People only think Protection isn't a good idea until you need it.
People vary. Some deal with the costs when they arise. Some save the money that they would have spent on protection, effectively self-insuring. AppleCare+, insurance, etc aren't one-size-fits-all. However, if one wants AppleCare+ or insurance it's too late after the damage happens.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Future Shop isn't going to do anything about it. If you purchased with a credit card you could see if they offer any sort of accidental warranty.

Else get it OoW replaced at Apple for around half the cost of new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.