Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:26 PM   #26
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Isn't the screen panel in the iPod Touch the same as the iPhone 5?

So how much of the alleged demand drop is iPod Touch how much is iPhone?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:27 PM   #27
StellarSoul
macrumors regular

Hmmmm. Very interesting. Honestly, I think we could take two things away from this report. Firstly, Android devices are flooding the market and at very low costs. It's no surprise to me that Apple's part shipments are dropping. What consumers get for Android devices is often fairly reasonable compared to the iPhone (if not better in some areas) and the masses of people out there are obviously now flocking to these rather than seeing the iPhone as the smartphone to have. I'm in China right now and believe me, 70% of the phones I see people with are big, cheap Android devices. It's really astounding. Samsung and HTC are doing really well here from my perspective.

Secondly, this could mean that Apple are indeed preparing to release a '5s' in early 2013 like we've seen in some reports. Wouldn't be that out of the ordinary considering the iPad 4 timeframe. I for one am completely for this. I've long thought that Android devices outshine iPhone's in terms of hardware refreshes. Ever since the debut of iPhone 4 it's always felt like Samsung etc. have more compelling hardware ready to go straight after a launch. And let's be honest here, the iPhone 5 didn't exactly offer anything that would make anyone think 'oh man, that Galaxy S3 looks crap now'. I'm happy with evolutionary, not revolutionary, but it's pretty clear that Android devices have caught up with the iPhone and simply in terms of handsets, their manufacturers now offer a cheaper, viable and attractive offering. Anyone who can't see that must be blind.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a believer in Apple and iPhone. But product cycles should quicken to compete with Android devices and iOS needs some SERIOUS improvement. Actionable notifications would be a great start.
StellarSoul is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:27 PM   #28
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502

Slashing iPhone 5 part orders including screen could lead to a January-March iPhone launch. I'm going to clear the air. Apple is NOT releasing a smaller cheaper version iPhone. You want small, you want cheap. Wallmart, Target, Best Buy, Radio Shack, has what you want with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. Apple SVP mentioned Apple will not sacrifice quality over what the market wants. Apple will build and ship more then one iPhone a year. It just would not be a Samsung made plastic phone priced at $50.00. The rumors of the iPhone 5S with the IZGO screen & 8 different colors, could be what Apple is pushing. If Apple wishes to get back in the game it needs to produce a 4.5 or 4.8" wide 720p or 1080p screen, updated retina display as well as a second 5" phone in September. I know there will be users to quote me and troll, but look at what CES have shown. STE with its 5" 1080 phone, Huawei with the 6.1" and 5" super phones. (Only sold Overseas so far). Apple was the first to make it big with a touch screen phone, but now it's aging. Steve jobs in 1990 made a statement that Apple should not get cocky. Apple right now is cocky. same OS for 6 years, limited features (exception of jail-breaking). Not to mention Apple is losing marking share daily at $524.00 a share. Apple needs to push back and push back hard to make Microsoft, Research in Motion, Google, Samsung, Huawei, HTC, Nokia re-think their cell phones. An iPhone 5S with 4.5" or 4.8" screen, 1920x720, 400+ IGZO retina display, A6X procesor, more then two colors. An iPhone 6 with 5" screen, 1920x1080, 500+ PPI retina display, A7 processor = Quad core 1.7 or 2Ghz, 2GB of RAM, updated IOS 7 with widgets, settings in notifications (SB Settings). This will definatly make every company think twice before counting Apple out as being "slow to the game" "the new Microsoft" "Research in Motions big brother"
hovscorpion12 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:27 PM   #29
efktd
macrumors regular

now i just want to upgrade every year or so to a new iPhone. i don't need to anymore.
efktd is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:28 PM   #30
WolfSnap
macrumors regular

Such BS... They're changing suppliers, or it's complete BS.

Remember the "Weak demand in China"?
WolfSnap is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:29 PM   #31
syd430

I would love it if iPhone's became a more niche product that stays true to its roots. Let the majority enjoy their Samsung Galaxy and Nexus phones. Business reality tells me however that this is not how it's going to turn out, and we will probably see the iPhone change in a way that aligns it more closely with competing brands in the years to come. At the end of the day it is a business, and the owners (shareholders) expect to realise a return on their investment. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and that is simply the nature of capitalism. People's tastes are changing and someone will have to meet that demand, be it Apple or another company.
  4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:29 PM   #32
Ramchi
macrumors regular

Holiday sales are over new product rumours (frequent updates) holding users while competitors keep pumping new ones Nikia Lumia, BB & SGS IV etc...also iPhone 5s rumours. No point in making millions and overstock them.

Today if you want to have great sales you must keep your products ready to ship because time that you lose will be filled with other products and the lost time = lost customer even for Apple.
Ramchi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:30 PM   #33
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

I like to think that it wasn't because of weaker-than-expected demand but because they decided to push out the next iPhone sooner and it's using some new parts to fix the touch issue when sliding you're finger too fast, a new A7 chip, a more durable aluminum body, NFC, and better cameras front/back. If not, then I think Apple might be in a rut.
lolkthxbai is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:30 PM   #34
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Keep in mind that over 70% of Apple stock is held by institutions aka Big Banks and Funds. That 70+% of Apple stock is in the hands of a few hundred people who get paid on quarterly and yearly bonuses. None of them hare holding for long term growth.

It's crazy to think that the stock is going down when in 2009 Apple revenue in China was less than $800 million and in 2012 revenue was $28 billion in China.
spacepower7 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:31 PM   #35
wesk702
macrumors 65816

Nvrmnd
wesk702 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:33 PM   #36
faded.memories
macrumors newbie

I've thought about buying a 5, but ONLY because I moved and Sprint has no data service here. (Considering picking up a Verizon unit, they have LTE coverage.)

The 'upgrade' killed Maps and YouTube, and there isn't a jailbreak out so the new phone is in many ways a couple steps back.

I predict that if a jailbreak ala Absinthe pops up, so will the iPhone 5 sales...
faded.memories is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:35 PM   #37
tdtran1025
macrumors regular

100% markup for a u ubiquitous device is rather steep considering two factors: the subsidized model and short product cycles. Additionally, see sawing competition between Samsung and Apple makes it hard for markets outside of US to absorb news products when consumers debate spending north of $700 for a new phone knowing that there is another better replacement in 6 to 8 months. It's time Apple to play a lowball strategy by selling new iPhones at $500. This will squeeze all competitors since Apple owns the component supply chain. Consumers will embrace changing phones every year by then, maybe.
tdtran1025 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:36 PM   #38
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a

Of course, most regurgiation of this news isn't followed by the numbers. The reports said apple originally planned to order 65, yes SIXTY FIVE million panels for the first quarter. just food for thought, this time last year, apple sold 35 million iphones total! This is just 65 million iphone 5 screens.

can people who post articles please at least get the story right?
FrozenDarkness is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:36 PM   #39
b0fh
macrumors member

Nexus 4?

Can you actually buy one from Google?

They may be trying to fix some issues...

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/26...-a-glass-back/
b0fh is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:37 PM   #40
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

Doesn't surprise me. Nothing made me covet iPhone 5. iOS is getting stale in my opinion. The products are becoming a bit boring and predictable lately. I love Apple, but it's just how I feel.
myrtlebee is offline   41 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:40 PM   #41
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preed08
no, durable usually means less prone to breaking...and which of the models wins at that? Certainly not the glass-backed ones....

Edit: thats to Justperry. It wont let me quote and i dont feel like manually doing it.
If you don't drop it the 4-4s is more durable.

And, if the glass back breaks you can easily replace it.

Edit: What the hell is going on with quote, it does not seem to work here either.
justperry is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:42 PM   #42
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502

I'm very much an Apple fan...I'm a Mac user and a former iPhone user. I use a Mac because I feel like it's a much better computer than it's Windows counterpart. I now use a Samsung Note 2 because, IMO, it is a much better device than any iPhone. Sorry, but Apple fell asleep at the wheel on iPhone innovation and they are paying for it now.
cardinalryan is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:42 PM   #43
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Well hopefully it's a big wake up call.
zbarvian is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:43 PM   #44
nagromme
macrumors G4

If true, this simply means Apple expects, in future, lower sales than they once expected. We don't know what expectations they were planning for: this could be a cut from shockingly huge sales down to merely massive sales. And Apple could be wrong: they could wish they hadn't cut their orders!

But the reasoning doesn't matter, this is proof #58663 that Apple is, as ever, doomed If Apple had to increase their orders, that would be a sign of doom too: why didn't Tim plan properly?

Remember: Apple is ALWAYS doomed... you just have to find a way to make the facts fit the notion.
nagromme is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:43 PM   #45
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

Apple has reached a point where they are realizing that people have these unrealistic expectations of what's possible in the tech world....consumers seem to want Apple to invent a flying car, that runs on wind energy, and is the cheapest on the market.

Apple may not be perfect and they will always have improvements to make, but to for people in the MR forum to say that Apple's "poor" product lineup shows how far they fallen behind is just plain silly.

Consumer expectations are starting to take their toll on Apple, they set their own bar a little high. Hopefully they can fix this.
somethingelsefl is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:43 PM   #46
lolnick
macrumors member

Google maps and YouTube are back and available so that was just a short term thing.
lolnick is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:45 PM   #47
tubbymac
macrumors 6502a

Not surprised either. The iPhone 5 was the first time I really didn't see any good reason to upgrade from my iPhone 4S. In fact, iOS 6 was the first time I didn't see a good reason to upgrade from 5.1.1.

I got so bored I bought a Nexus 4. The iPhone 5S or 6 better come quick and it better be exciting or I'll completely lose interest in Apple phones.

Still have my iPad Mini and iMac though. I still think in the tablet and desktop space nothing else compares or even comes close. But phones are moving really, really quick - and iPhone is starting to fall behind IMHO.

Either that or I'm just looking for something new. I've had all the iPhones since the original... so by now it's too familiar for me.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:46 PM   #48
HiRez
macrumors 601

Great. Stock will be under $500 by noon tomorrow.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:48 PM   #49
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbymac View Post
Not surprised either. The iPhone 5 was the first time I really didn't see any good reason to upgrade from my iPhone 4S. In fact, iOS 6 was the first time I didn't see a good reason to upgrade from 5.1.1.

I got so bored I bought a Nexus 4. The iPhone 5S or 6 better come quick and it better be exciting or I'll completely lose interest in Apple phones.

Still have my iPad Mini and iMac though. I still think in the tablet and desktop space nothing else compares or even comes close. But phones are moving really, really quick - and iPhone is starting to fall behind IMHO.

Either that or I'm just looking for something new. I've had all the iPhones since the original... so by now it's too familiar for me.
You are 100% correct as far as I'm concerned. I honestly can't see a good reason to buy an iPhone over a top of the line Android phone. Unless you like smallish, non innovative devices, the iPhone hasn't much to offer.
cardinalryan is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:51 PM   #50
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
The ip4 costs $450
the 4s costs $550
the 5 costs $650.

What exactly is cheap about any of those? I think a cheap iPhone would start at $299 unlocked.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion