Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Pngwyn
macrumors regular

First Camera Slider - What length?

I'm thinking about picking up a Konova slider for my 7D, but I'm torn between whether I should go for the 80CM (31.5") or the 100CM (39.4").

My concern with the short one is that slides can't be long as I desire, and my concern with the big one is portability and use on a single tripod. Hope this is the right section for this.. if anyone has any input that would be appreciated
Pngwyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:19 AM   #2
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

I am in the same boat but more extreme.

I am looking at a 2 foot or 4 foot.

I talked to a friend and he said that for more than 2 feet, you want two tripods.
I am doing "reveal" slides and don't need ubber length. I have a DYI slide that is 3 feet and it's too long.
matteusclement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:40 AM   #3
Photoshopper
macrumors regular

Check out the new slider from Edelkrone. Ingenious design, it allows for a 2' slide, yet it's small enough to fit in a backpack. Two feet may be all you need, if done well.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:29 PM   #4
matteusclement
macrumors 65816

any follow up Pngwyn?
matteusclement is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:16 AM   #5
Trixster
macrumors member

Iīd say that it mainly depends on how tall you are and how far can you reach (without stretching yourself). Cause to do a smooth slide you canīt move your legs or change position in any way.
I went for the 80cm Konova slider for this particular reason and I really donīt regret it. 80 cm is enough, if you need more then 80cm in one shot it is likely you probably need a lot more, like 2 meters and above and thatīs not a job for a slider.

This is true in all cases, unless of course you get the crank handle...
Trixster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:54 AM   #6
Endfallow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixster View Post
Iīd say that it mainly depends on how tall you are and how far can you reach (without stretching yourself). Cause to do a smooth slide you canīt move your legs or change position in any way.
I went for the 80cm Konova slider for this particular reason and I really donīt regret it. 80 cm is enough, if you need more then 80cm in one shot it is likely you probably need a lot more, like 2 meters and above and thatīs not a job for a slider.
I'd have to say that Trixter pretty much nailed it here. It's all about preference & the needs of the shot, but I think 80cm is a great settle. I run a 75cm slider, and I like it a lot for local shoots, but wouldn't go any bigger. Like you mentioned, portability is a big deal, and you may be surprised how little of the actual slider length you really use. Not to mention trying to get through all your setups with a two tripod setup... Man, that just kills your set up time.

In fact, I've actually been very interested the Edelkrone slider that Photoshopper mentioned, just because it's small and portable and I'd love a slider I can fit in my carry-on. (Which means it couldn't be any bigger than 21"-22").

In the end, just play with whatever models you can get access to and pick the one that has the options, length, stability, and price that fits you and your technique best.

Be interested to hear what you decide on.
Endfallow is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video