Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Neo-Modus posted a news update which indicates that their Direct Connect client will be released for Mac OS X at the end of this month:

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted anything. I've been getting so much e-mail from enthusiastic Mac OS X users asking about Direct Connect that I thought I'd post some info here to clue everyone in. As it stands, the Mac OS X version of Direct Connect is 'done'. Which means it is feature complete and I've given it to a few of my friends for testing. I plan on releasing it before the 31st of this month.

Direct Connect is a popular PC file-sharing network, based on user-run servers (known as hubs) and claims 1 Petabyte of data on their network.

Other popular PC file-trading network companies such as Morpheus, Grokster and Madster are under legal proceedings presently.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacRumors does not condone piracy, and any discussion of specific file trading is against the rules. Talk of file trading networks and applications in general is allowed.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
I really don't know jow to feel about this rumor

well it is wrong to steal music but I find that i have been using filesharing networks like limewire to test music before i buy it. It is responsible for many of my Led zepplin cd's :)
So yes music stealing is bad but it never hurts to try new things and I will try this file sharing network if the rumor turns out to be true.

First post?

PowerBook G4 1ghz

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: I really don't know jow to feel about this rumor

Originally posted by Steradian

I will try this file sharing network if the rumor turns out to be true.

Well, it's not a rumor really... since the company that makes the software posted that it's coming. :)

arn

suneun

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
Yey DC

There's a java version on sourceforge, but it's not very good. It works, but you have to resume each transfer you start to get it to work. Also, you can't download/upload file lists, or change the number of slots.

Direct Connect is best on a local level, I think. There's a Brown DC hub that only lets other Brown students on. The benefits are incredibly fast transfer rates (most of Brown is on 100bT switches), and that the campus computer security people don't care about internal transfers. Since some (cough) companies are getting very pushy about network logs, colleges have no choice but to track outside connections.

Sublime

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
LBC

well it is wrong to steal music but I find that i have been using filesharing networks like limewire to test music before i buy it. It is responsible for many of my Led zepplin cd's :)
So yes music stealing is bad but it never hurts to try new things and I will try this file sharing network if the rumor turns out to be true.

First post?

PowerBook G4 1ghz

Hey, You go Zep Head! What took ya so long? Led Zeppelin>ALL

Glad us Mac users finally have a Kazaa like P2P app coming our way. I am not a gnutella client fan. Has it improved recently?

MacBandit

macrumors 604

First post?

PowerBook G4 1ghz

I have ended up with a lot of good cds for the same reason.

If you don't have a Zep box set you don't have half a nut.

Dj Kioto

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2002
Rochester, NY
I know the feeling

When I download from limewire, the songs I donwload that I dont end up bying anyway I hardly listen to and usually delete... the only otherthing I download that I usually dont buy (right away) are tracks that have been ripped from Vinyl, hard to find house tracks etc...

I've not been able to find Lil' Louis' French Kiss anywhere except in MP3 form on the "internet"

gunb0y

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
i actually run a dc hub on my campus (a 1.3ghz server, running win2k). For those not familiar with DC it is NOTHING like kazaa or Limewire. It is more like IRC. There is not one search window to search the entire network. You have to find a hub, enter it, and then look for files. so That petabyte is fragmented. Although i must say i have well over 2 terabytes shared on my hub. It is a great community and i am shocked to see Neomodus support OS X. Shocked, and INCREDIBLY happy. Now if they would only release hub software so i can move my hub over to a mac server........

oh one other thing. DC is great for getting hard to find stuff (house music, for example). You can bet that if a movie was illegally recorded in a theatre or ripped from a dvd its there. I don't download them personally (or any illegal stuff for that matter, since i run the hub and the school sees me as its responsibe owner) but i know they r there. For instance my friends watched numerous recent releases a week before they came out.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
The only play I could find music was Audiogalaxy. Limewire has ****, same for all the others. Not too much Japanese noise on opennap servers. :-(

gunb0y

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
The hubs r usually organized by category. You can go into a music hub or movie hub, etc. Its a really nice system. What IRC should have been. Also, since it is decentralized, theres no chance of the recording industry butting in.

GetSome681

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2002
My PC is CONSTANTLY connected to a private DC hub. Let me tell you, DC (DC++) BEATS THE PANTS OFF ANYTHING ELSE!!

KaZaA? Not installed on my PC
Morpheus? Not installed on my PC

This is a great program...wonderful to get real-time advice from other buddies on a hub, get files, as well as share your own. It's wonderful, and I'm extremely happy to hear it's coming to the Mac.

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
I have been using direct connect on my pc for over a year and I am extremly happy to hear that it is being ported to OS X. Actually last year I e-mailed the devolpers of the software and asked about OS X support, and they hinted that it was on its way. Well, it took a year, but late is better than never.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
I use DC++ here on the RIT hub (only for the RIT internal network) and it is by far the best. Kazaa and all of the other filesharing apps are no where near my machine, nor will they be until I stop using DC. I've been waiting for the mac version to come out for sometime now.

Speeds are incredible here. Try a 1GB Divx file in under 2 minutes.

BEN

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Finally! If I'm not mistaken, direct connect is more a descendant of hotline than anything else. Which is good, since after hotline software died I haven't been able to find the same sort of sites.

Fins160

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2002
iSwipe

by far the best file sharing software currently on the mac is iSwipe. It allows you to type in the name of an album, and it automatically downloads all songs on that album through various networks (opennap, hotline, etc), for all your CD backup needs :)

If you dont have it, get it. I am really anxious to try DC as well.

Fins

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
carracho

ive been using carracho for about two years now and i love it. it's just like hotline, but with less crap servers.

serve.beer tracker for free servers!

it would be nice to have another p2p app; especially when my fav. carracho servers are down.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by cryptochrome
Finally! If I'm not mistaken, direct connect is more a descendant of hotline than anything else. Which is good, since after hotline software died I haven't been able to find the same sort of sites.
hotline was bought out by a company and is back up and running. bigredh.com is the web site. once again you can go download all the hotline stuff for mac and windows.

iJon

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: iSwipe

Originally posted by Fins160
by far the best file sharing software currently on the mac is iSwipe. It allows you to type in the name of an album, and it automatically downloads all songs on that album through various networks (opennap, hotline, etc), for all your CD backup needs :)

If you dont have it, get it. I am really anxious to try DC as well.

Fins

I've never been able to get iSipe to actually complete a download. Or for that matter successfully start one most of the time. If you aren't looking for Mac Software then Neo is excellent. It is a limited client app for Kazaa.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Hubs

Originally posted by Sublime
Well DC sounds nifty. How do you get the list of hubs?

I'm not sure how it works... but basically there are special "urls" your enter which act like Carracho Trackers and keeps a list of known hubs.

arn

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I'm like MacBandit on iSwipe. But I think I got a couple to dl. A
couple out of a couple thousand :rolleyes: :D. I just tried out Direct conn.
on my PC, and I think it is worthless. Just as bad as carracho and
hotline. Kazaa is the best. Nothing compares.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.