Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:14 PM   #1
The Red Menace
macrumors member

Looking for more iBook storage. Advice needed please!

I have a G4 iBook, with a 30GB hard drive. When I bought the computer I did not have an iPod, and only planned on putting some music on it. Recently I had to delete a bunch of my music due to a lack of space. I have 11GB left but need more space! I am thinking either an external hard drive such as the 160 LaCie. What I would like to do more is put a new hard drive into my computer. Am I correct in thinking that I would have to have an Apple tech put it in or the warranty would be void? Does the Apple store at CompUsa do stuff like that, if not who does? Or should I just go with the external drive which would allow me to back up my system which (stupidly) do not do?
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:49 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

The external drive option would be much cheaper and could get you much more space for your dollar. However, if you want the flush look of having everything internal, then I recommend you get a professional to change your drive. The iBooks hard drives are very hard to get at.

As for the warrantee, I'm not sure if it would become void if the certified technician did it. I've been told that it does (by a technician) but most people around here seem to think it doesn't and the technician could well have been wrong.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:55 PM   #3
Heb1228
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Heb1228
Do you have AppleCare on this iBook, or just the 1-year standard warranty? If you don't have AppleCare, and the 1 years is almost up, then you wouldn't really need to worry much about voiding the warranty anyway. I know changing the HDDs in iBooks are supposed to be more difficult, but I put a new one in my powerbook last month and it wasn't too bad.
Heb1228 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:59 PM   #4
DJIceT
macrumors newbie

i would go for an external hard drive too, it would be cheaper than a notebook drive.

i have a 250gb maxtor ide drive inside a Cantec NexStar 3 usb2 enclosure
that cost total $185cad
and i use use that drive wherever

for a notebook drive at the same store
80GB fujitsu: $132
80Gb hitachi: $139
100Gb Seagate: $219
100GB Toshiba: $210
etc

i changed a hard drive for a customer, iBook G3.. it was my first time, it was pretty tough.. took me 30 mins just to get to it.. by following the instructions on pbfixit of course
DJIceT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:12 PM   #5
ibook30
macrumors 6502a

I have an external drive for my ibook, but enjoy keeping it all inside (Therapist says this is bad, but what doe he know...). I am going to upgrade to a new machine, but keep the beloved ibook. While this is not always a financial option- if I were in your shoes (and wasn't upgrading) I'd get a new HD in the current ibook. AND get the external to back that up - once again finances...
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:39 PM   #6
The Red Menace
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb1228
Do you have AppleCare on this iBook, or just the 1-year standard warranty? If you don't have AppleCare, and the 1 years is almost up, then you wouldn't really need to worry much about voiding the warranty anyway. I know changing the HDDs in iBooks are supposed to be more difficult, but I put a new one in my powerbook last month and it wasn't too bad.

I do have Applecare, so..... But I am wondering about a service like this:
http://www.powerbookresq.com/detail.php?prodID=P010350

seems pretty cool and I may have the money to do it.... do you think it would void the warranty?
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:41 PM   #7
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

Duff-Man says....if $$ is an issue, than go for an external drive like others have suggested - it'll give you not only enough space for your music but also can serve as a backup device (and *everyone* should have some kind of backup scheme in place). Then, when funds allow you can get a bigger drive installed in the iBook....oh yeah!
Old Oct 3, 2005, 01:06 AM   #8
iEdd
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to iEdd
If you had a 60 or an 80GB and you thought it wasn't enough, I would recommend an external...
But as you have a 30, I recommend you get an 80 or 100GB 5400RPM internal drive put in(so all future apps can be always on your computer and a bit of music). Then with your old 30GB, buy a cheap (~$5) enclosure for it on ebay, and use it for partial backups, etc.
iEdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs