Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knuckleheadz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
United Kingodm
Hi All,

I've ordered the base model 27" iMac without a FusionDrive as I have seen multiple posts on how to do this manually using 10.8.2, Terminal and the CoreStorage function - here's me trying to do it on the cheap! :)

However I have read that the 21.5" iMac (if ordered without a FusionDrive) ship without the SATA connection/port to add an SSD at a later date.

Does anyone know if this is the same on the 27" iMac?

I appreciate there is still the problem of re-securing the LCD to the rest of the unit after having removed it, but I'm sure this will be resolved in time.

Unfortunately I've not found a teardown of this unit that mentions this.

Hoping you guys can help.

Many thanks
Jon

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
You might want to use the search function to find people who did a tear down already, and search on google for anyone who might have torn one apart... Hard to believe that if you buy the 27 inch with i7 that it won't have both the flash port and the SATA port on the motherboard.

Knuckleheadz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
United Kingodm
I agree itsamacthing...

Why would Apple have a separate logic board just for Customers who order an none FusionDrive configuration, makes no sense.

I've Google searched already for 27" teardowns, but hadn't searched MacRumors specifically.... I'll take a look.

Thanks
Jon

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
And, the base 21" can now also be ordered with FD, so the connector might be on all the Logic boards now.
I was actually the first to ask this question when this story was on MR's main page.
If most of the Base 21" will be sold with FD then it is cheaper for Apple to always have the connector on the board.

Knuckleheadz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
United Kingodm
I've had a good hunt round MacRumors and other sites and I can't find anything conclusive on this.

Can anyone else shed some light or point me in the direction of a site that confirms this?

Many thanks
Jon

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I've had a good hunt round MacRumors and other sites and I can't find anything conclusive on this.

Can anyone else shed some light or point me in the direction of a site that confirms this?

Many thanks
Jon

You want to look at the ginormous thread titled "Rip those iMacs open"... for the info you are after.

Bottom line is that if your machine has the regular SATA hard drive it also has the needed port for a blade SSD, which you could add to your system and then have a Fusion drive.... OR, you could remove the SATA hard drive and replace it with a regulat 2.5" SSD using a bracket.

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
We just made a fusion drive with the terminal command, and reinstalled the os, easy! Now we have a fusion drive with 512mb Sandisk (plugged in via usb 3), and the original internal hdd, all seen as one drive by mac osx. Cool!
Works better than expected!

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
We just made a fusion drive with the terminal command, and reinstalled the os, easy! Now we have a fusion drive with 512mb Sandisk (plugged in via usb 3), and the original internal hdd, all seen as one drive by mac osx. Cool!
Works better than expected!

I was going to go this route, but ultimately I decided that I didn't want the hassle of an external enclosure employing the SSD piece... I will end up tearing mine open and installing an SSD inside of it, does not look too difficult.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Jun 11, 2011
Has anyone managed to partition the SSD and use one half for windows boot camp and the other as a fusion drive partition?

Knuckleheadz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
United Kingodm
Thanks everyone, I have seen that discussion whilst looking for my own thread so I will take a read.

My only concern is getting the LCD "glued" back to the rear in a neat and tidy fashion so it looks brand new.

Ofcourse I could go for the external SSD route as has been suggested.

Thanks for your help... I'm off to read that thread :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.