Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Dec 5, 2002, 01:27 AM   #1
blackpeter
macrumors 6502a

iPod has some competition

Meet the Nomad Zen

...looks awfully familiar but still, it looks like a formidable opponent.
blackpeter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 01:35 AM   #2
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
pretty ipod-favorable review..

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 01:39 AM   #3
blackpeter
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I thought so. Nice try Nomad. Making your device white won't hide the too-typical PC like interface.
blackpeter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 01:46 AM   #4
mac15
macrumors 68040

it doesn't work with mac anyways........firewire is not anygood since VPC only uses USB. So if you want to buy one don't unless you have a PC.
mac15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 01:57 AM   #5
topicolo
macrumors 68000

Could eat up into apple's windows ipod market tho. The $299 price tag justifies the extra bulkiness and crap software--but then, the windows ipod has crap software as well. Ugh, musicmatch..
Old Dec 5, 2002, 05:41 AM   #6
BenderBot1138
macrumors 6502

not two mP3s in aPod...

... bad nockoff... a combination of a 1970's radio trying to look like an iPod.

The dark side of Capitalism rears its ugly head - Capitalism has it's merits, but when it's this blantant, with such a grotesque attempt to Capitalize on a good thing, I'm embarrassed.

Last edited by BenderBot1138; Dec 5, 2002 at 05:47 AM.
BenderBot1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 05:48 AM   #7
Nipsy
macrumors 65816

In case you haven't seen the pattern before:

Apple R & D and Industrial Design make something that is damn good

The rest of the world tries to copy the design without getting sued

The rest of the world releases a product which is almost as good, at a lower price point

Those with a strong sense of design or ergonomics or ease of use continue to buy Apple

Those who pinch pennies, or don't care about the ergonomics or UI or design buy the competition

Newton = Palm (although timing is off)

MacOS = Windows

iMac I = eMachines

iMac II = Gateway

iPod = Zen

MacOSX = XP, Gnome, etc.
But then again, whereas Apple is being run by a brilliant marketer with the uncanny ability to bend people to his will, Gateway is being run by a man perfectly willing to go on television and show the world that he solicits business advice from a talking cow...
Nipsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 09:17 AM   #8
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Yes, overall on some points the iPod wins, but the killer is this

Thanks to its 98 dB signal-to-noise ratio, the Zen sounds better than the iPod.

That's not good for the iPod, Apple is going to have to update theirs and that's good. Competition is a nice way of getting better equipment.

D
Old Dec 5, 2002, 09:24 AM   #9
iJon
macrumors 604

Yeah my pc friend who knows nothing about macs and never touched one and who says macs completly sucks says this new Zen will be the best mp3 player out there. he says im the only one who likes the ipod and it is the worst mp3 out there. AHHHHH i hate people like him. ill explain it to you in car terms, he is the kind of guy who says his civic (a non suped up one,lol) is faster than my porsche. then you decide to race him and and beat the hell out him on the race track. then he still says his civic is faster. this is what kind of guy this is. I dont even like creative. I bought an audigy drive for my 5.1 speakers and eax sound. i ahve had so many problems.i now just use my onboard sound from on my pc. now it just sits in my computer and looks cool.creatvie sucks. what an idiot sayign my ipod is bad. ive already sold about 6 of them to my friends for the holiday season. i want to kill that kid. lol. i always tell him once he gets a computer job and starts making money of his knowledge ill take him seriously. he came up to me the other day and said he is gonna work at best buy. yeah like they know anything. I have been working at an apple authorized reselller since i as 14 and im gonna be taking that store over someday. all i can say is i know my apple s*** pretty good for a 17 year old. oh i still remember when i was like 3 when i had my lc 2 with prince of persia and super munchers.

iJon

Last edited by iJon; Dec 5, 2002 at 09:26 AM.
iJon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 10:01 AM   #10
Nipsy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by dukestreet
Yes, overall on some points the iPod wins, but the killer is this

Thanks to its 98 dB signal-to-noise ratio, the Zen sounds better than the iPod.

That's not good for the iPod, Apple is going to have to update theirs and that's good. Competition is a nice way of getting better equipment.

D
While sound is a big factor, I find I haven't been able to hear glaring differences through earbuds, of MP3 audio anyway. If anyone (who's not an audiophile/sound technician) can really hear the difference between these things, I'd be surprised (and interested in hearing their thoughts about it).

These are not reference devices, so I think sound quality is a marketing point more than a listening advantage.

But, as you said, if it helps the iPod, all the better (especially it it can be done in firmware/software).
But then again, whereas Apple is being run by a brilliant marketer with the uncanny ability to bend people to his will, Gateway is being run by a man perfectly willing to go on television and show the world that he solicits business advice from a talking cow...
Old Dec 5, 2002, 11:08 AM   #11
springscansing
Banned

What is the S/N ratio on the iPod? I was considering getting one, but if it's much lower than 90 then its no-go.
springscansing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 11:25 AM   #12
Cappy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally posted by Nipsy
In case you haven't seen the pattern before:

Apple R & D and Industrial Design make something that is damn good

The rest of the world tries to copy the design without getting sued

The rest of the world releases a product which is almost as good, at a lower price point

Those with a strong sense of design or ergonomics or ease of use continue to buy Apple

Those who pinch pennies, or don't care about the ergonomics or UI or design buy the competition

Newton = Palm (although timing is off)

MacOS = Windows

iMac I = eMachines

iMac II = Gateway

iPod = Zen

MacOSX = XP, Gnome, etc.
You have some points on most of these but one is way off. The Palm was a better design. It was smaller and made sense for the market it was intended for. Too many people wanted it to do other things that third parties have tried to fulfill and then criticize Palm for not providing. The Newton while quite advanced featurewise never had the hardware design it needed to be successful.
Cappy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 01:24 PM   #13
Nipsy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally posted by Cappy

You have some points on most of these but one is way off. The Palm was a better design. It was smaller and made sense for the market it was intended for. Too many people wanted it to do other things that third parties have tried to fulfill and then criticize Palm for not providing. The Newton while quite advanced featurewise never had the hardware design it needed to be successful.
I agree to a degree.

I think the Newton was meant to replace a legal pad, and the Palm was meant to replace some Post Its.

But the whole question remains, would we have Palm without Newton?
Old Dec 5, 2002, 02:15 PM   #14
MisterBlack
macrumors member

The only competition the iPod will ever face is the iPod G2.
MisterBlack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 03:30 PM   #15
zimv20
macrumors 601

Quote:

I think the Newton was meant to replace a legal pad, and the Palm was meant to replace some Post Its.
:-)

i think it should be:

Newton = Tablet PC

(edit: fixed misspell)

Last edited by zimv20; Dec 5, 2002 at 04:01 PM.
zimv20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 06:37 PM   #16
medea
macrumors 68030

sorry to say but this is old news and has been posted TWICE on this board already
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ght=nomad+ipod
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ght=nomad+ipod

but anyways....personally I think the design is severly flawed and not in anyway comparable to the genius of the ipod other than the size and shape.....and that metal look is hideous and the fingerprints oi!
Solipsist's Creed:
Zero's company, one's a crowd.
medea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 11:40 AM   #17
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
The Appl iPod will always be better. It is the best, fastest, and coolest looking MP3 player around! Works with any FireWire computer and now you can buy one used for about $250, or even LESS!
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 02:16 AM   #18
Cappy
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I agree to a degree.

But the whole question remains, would we have Palm without Newton?
Probably...or something like it anyways. It's been too obvious of a device for someone to develop.
Cappy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events