Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2001
Meet the Nomad Zen

...looks awfully familiar :rolleyes: but still, it looks like a formidable opponent.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
pretty ipod-favorable review..

arn

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2001
Yeah, I thought so. Nice try Nomad. Making your device white won't hide the too-typical PC like interface.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
it doesn't work with mac anyways........firewire is not anygood since VPC only uses USB. So if you want to buy one don't unless you have a PC.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Could eat up into apple's windows ipod market tho. The $299 price tag justifies the extra bulkiness and crap software--but then, the windows ipod has crap software as well. Ugh, musicmatch..

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
not two mP3s in aPod...

... bad nockoff... a combination of a 1970's radio trying to look like an iPod.

The dark side of Capitalism rears its ugly head - Capitalism has it's merits, but when it's this blantant, with such a grotesque attempt to Capitalize on a good thing, I'm embarrassed.

:cool:

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
In case you haven't seen the pattern before:

Apple R & D and Industrial Design make something that is damn good

The rest of the world tries to copy the design without getting sued

The rest of the world releases a product which is almost as good, at a lower price point

Those with a strong sense of design or ergonomics or ease of use continue to buy Apple

Those who pinch pennies, or don't care about the ergonomics or UI or design buy the competition

Newton = Palm (although timing is off)

MacOS = Windows

iMac I = eMachines

iMac II = Gateway

iPod = Zen

MacOSX = XP, Gnome, etc.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Yes, overall on some points the iPod wins, but the killer is this

Thanks to its 98 dB signal-to-noise ratio, the Zen sounds better than the iPod.

That's not good for the iPod, Apple is going to have to update theirs and that's good. Competition is a nice way of getting better equipment.

D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah my pc friend who knows nothing about macs and never touched one and who says macs completly sucks says this new Zen will be the best mp3 player out there. he says im the only one who likes the ipod and it is the worst mp3 out there. AHHHHH i hate people like him. ill explain it to you in car terms, he is the kind of guy who says his civic (a non suped up one,lol) is faster than my porsche. then you decide to race him and and beat the hell out him on the race track. then he still says his civic is faster. this is what kind of guy this is. I dont even like creative. I bought an audigy drive for my 5.1 speakers and eax sound. i ahve had so many problems.i now just use my onboard sound from on my pc. now it just sits in my computer and looks cool.creatvie sucks. what an idiot sayign my ipod is bad. ive already sold about 6 of them to my friends for the holiday season. i want to kill that kid. lol. i always tell him once he gets a computer job and starts making money of his knowledge ill take him seriously. he came up to me the other day and said he is gonna work at best buy. yeah like they know anything. I have been working at an apple authorized reselller since i as 14 and im gonna be taking that store over someday. all i can say is i know my apple s*** pretty good for a 17 year old. oh i still remember when i was like 3 when i had my lc 2 with prince of persia and super munchers.

iJon

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
Yes, overall on some points the iPod wins, but the killer is this

Thanks to its 98 dB signal-to-noise ratio, the Zen sounds better than the iPod.

That's not good for the iPod, Apple is going to have to update theirs and that's good. Competition is a nice way of getting better equipment.

D

While sound is a big factor, I find I haven't been able to hear glaring differences through earbuds, of MP3 audio anyway. If anyone (who's not an audiophile/sound technician) can really hear the difference between these things, I'd be surprised (and interested in hearing their thoughts about it).

These are not reference devices, so I think sound quality is a marketing point more than a listening advantage.

But, as you said, if it helps the iPod, all the better (especially it it can be done in firmware/software).

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by Nipsy
In case you haven't seen the pattern before:

Apple R & D and Industrial Design make something that is damn good

The rest of the world tries to copy the design without getting sued

The rest of the world releases a product which is almost as good, at a lower price point

Those with a strong sense of design or ergonomics or ease of use continue to buy Apple

Those who pinch pennies, or don't care about the ergonomics or UI or design buy the competition

Newton = Palm (although timing is off)

MacOS = Windows

iMac I = eMachines

iMac II = Gateway

iPod = Zen

MacOSX = XP, Gnome, etc.

You have some points on most of these but one is way off. The Palm was a better design. It was smaller and made sense for the market it was intended for. Too many people wanted it to do other things that third parties have tried to fulfill and then criticize Palm for not providing. The Newton while quite advanced featurewise never had the hardware design it needed to be successful.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by Cappy

You have some points on most of these but one is way off. The Palm was a better design. It was smaller and made sense for the market it was intended for. Too many people wanted it to do other things that third parties have tried to fulfill and then criticize Palm for not providing. The Newton while quite advanced featurewise never had the hardware design it needed to be successful.

I agree to a degree.

I think the Newton was meant to replace a legal pad, and the Palm was meant to replace some Post Its.

But the whole question remains, would we have Palm without Newton?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto

I think the Newton was meant to replace a legal pad, and the Palm was meant to replace some Post Its.

:)

i think it should be:

Newton = Tablet PC

(edit: fixed misspell)

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
The Appl iPod will always be better. It is the best, fastest, and coolest looking MP3 player around! Works with any FireWire computer and now you can buy one used for about $250, or even LESS! :D

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002

I agree to a degree.

But the whole question remains, would we have Palm without Newton?

Probably...or something like it anyways. It's been too obvious of a device for someone to develop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.