Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Video Shows Differences Between Mavericks and Mountain Lion Multiple Monitor Support

During the WWDC Keynote presentation last week, Apple executive Craig Federighi showed off Mac OS X Mavericks. One of the new features is more substantial support for multiple monitors.

In Mountain Lion, there are issues with using full-screen apps on setups with multiple monitors. Putting an app into full-screen mode disables the rest of the monitors. In Mavericks, apps can be set to full screen on individual monitors and moved around as necessary.

However, as this video shows (via 9to5Mac), there are some changes in Mavericks that multiple monitor users may not like. For instance, application windows cannot be used across multiple monitors anymore -- windows can only be used on one monitor at a time. Also, spaces are only switched individually, which could affect the workflow of some users.

It appears that, in OS X Mavericks, users can switch between both the Mountain Lion multiple monitor setup and the new multiple monitor support in Mavericks as needed. As always, it's worth noting that this is a beta and things could change before the final version of OS X Mavericks is released in the Fall.

Article Link: Video Shows Differences Between Mavericks and Mountain Lion Multiple Monitor Support
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:47 PM   #2
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502a

I used multiple monitors with my old MBP and it eventually fried the GPU. I hope they're building them better these days. This looks like it'd be something I would actually use.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:47 PM   #3
diogolg
macrumors member

I don't see anything wrong with that… Is different options, or you have multiple monitor and one space or multiple monitors and multiple spaces
diogolg is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Walter White
Banned

Obviously you can't have it both ways as it seems.
Walter White is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Porshuh944turbo
macrumors 6502

SO he doesn't like it in Mavericks because he can't see his pretty wallpaper on all 6 screens when he switches one of them?

What a "nightmare"...

edit: Proposed fix that I think would solve this: Hold option key switches all screens

Last edited by Porshuh944turbo; Jun 17, 2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: added a proposed fix
Porshuh944turbo is offline   78 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:53 PM   #6
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porshuh944turbo View Post
SO he doesn't like it in Mavericks because he can't see his pretty wallpaper on all 6 screens when he switches one of them?

What a "nightmare"...
It's not the wallpaper. It is not being able to switch all monitors at the same time. You can't cover an array of monitors with a single space, and switch between spaces like you can now.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:54 PM   #7
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502

The only real issue is not being able to have an application spread across multiple monitors. That's the only issue for Apple to "fix".
neuropsychguy is offline   39 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:54 PM   #8
flashPUNK
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to flashPUNK
This is a bit dramatic... He REALLLLLLY wants one huge image spanning across his 6 screens it seems...

I wonder how many people use more than 1 external monitor as well. I use an external display with my MBA, and occasionally Air Display with my iPad, but I really doubt there are many people using 6 displays...
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:54 PM   #9
FirePhantom
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porshuh944turbo View Post

What a "nightmare"...
^

Also, I don't think he's in any position to complain considering he doesn't even have his six monitors calibrated together.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:56 PM   #10
dukebound85
macrumors P6

does anyone know if in mission control, you can drag and drop windows from one screen to another aka 10.6? ML only lets you drag windows from different spaces associated with a single screen
dukebound85 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:56 PM   #11
R0bert
macrumors member

Just split the image into 6 pieces..
R0bert is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:56 PM   #12
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashPUNK View Post
This is a bit dramatic... He REALLLLLLY wants one huge image spanning across his 6 screens it seems...

I wonder how many people use more than 1 external monitor as well. I use an external display with my MBA, and occasionally Air Display with my iPad, but I really doubt there are many people using 6 displays...
That seems to be his most important requirement lol
dukebound85 is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:57 PM   #13
3goldens
macrumors 68000

It's a beta, anything can change.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:57 PM   #14
skysurfer
macrumors newbie

This is just DP1

Get real and give it time
skysurfer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:59 PM   #15
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

"In the brand new, OSX Maverick"

BZZZZT.

WRONG.
NutsNGum is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:59 PM   #16
makingdots
macrumors regular

His problems are odd.

- He cares a lot about the wallpaper in the background?
- He wants the apps splitted/extended between monitor?
makingdots is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:59 PM   #17
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuropsychguy View Post
The only real issue is not being able to have an application spread across multiple monitors. That's the only issue for Apple to "fix".
They can't fix that without rethinking their new approach to fullscreen apps on multiple monitors. Think about it awhile and you'll understand.

Apple has received a lot of criticism on their multiple monitor support, but it's actually a very complex problem.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:59 PM   #18
iamkarlp
macrumors regular

While I can appreciate his dilemma, I love the (new) way it works now.

It makes so much more sense now, at least from my perspective.

Plus, it certainly appears there is a setting which let's it work in "Classic" ML mode or the "new" Mavericks mode, which kind of negates the complaint in my mind. Would it be nice if they could enable full screen app in the classic implantation? Sure, but I don't think I would have spent any engineering resources on it.

Karl P
iamkarlp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:00 PM   #19
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Ridiculous video.
ThunderSkunk is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:00 PM   #20
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Does this mean you cannot drag monitors between screens? Because then you would be able to span it between both... unless it were to have the app "change spaces" into the other screen. I wish he had showed how that worked
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:00 PM   #21
spacehog371
macrumors regular

I don't see what this guys problem is.

One of the biggest complains people have had about the old version is this guys biggest complaint about the new version. People were complaining that they had to switch spaces on every screen when they just wanted to do it on one. The idea that you want all of your spaces to switch so that the giant background works correctly is ridiculous. It is working exactly how it should work.

The not being able to spread apps across screens is because of the fact that one screen can change spaces. If you've got an app open on two screens, and you change what space you are on with one of them, that would mean the part on the other screen would disappear... I think Apple opted to only allow it on one screen to prevent said scenario.

This is literally about the guy wanting his wallpaper to work correctly.
spacehog371 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:00 PM   #22
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePhantom View Post
^

Also, I don't think he's in any position to complain considering he doesn't even have his six monitors calibrated together.
Your comment is the most irrelevant to this discussion so far, and probably will remain so until the thread dies. Incredible.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:00 PM   #23
CptnJustc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
It's not the wallpaper. It is not being able to switch all monitors at the same time. You can't cover an array of monitors with a single space, and switch between spaces like you can now.
Both those 'problems' seems like they'd be easily solved at the app level. Doubtless someone will produce a menubar applet that will keep your spaces synchronized across monitors.
CptnJustc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:01 PM   #24
Asclepio
macrumors 6502a

still broken, snow leopard is better and faster.
Asclepio is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:01 PM   #25
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingdots View Post
His problems are odd.

- He cares a lot about the wallpaper in the background?
- He wants the apps splitted/extended between monitor?
I know right?

1) who cares?
2) How is splitting an app window across monitors helpful? As long as the app itself isn't contained to one screen, I am happy (ie two word docs on different screens)
dukebound85 is online now   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion