Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding which would be the best app to use for my purpose. Im new to both apps, Idvd and Imovie. Ive used ‘windows apps In the past and then burned the movie to dvd with a majority of programs that would give me the best menu templates etc. What im trying to do now is different. I have a friend who made a dvd of his daughter using idvd and a template from 6.0, (shelves I believe). He was able to click on a thumbnail and it played one long movie but it would pause after a couple movies, go back to the main shelves template, go to the next thumbnail and play that. There also different transitions in between etc. Im assuming it did this, he may have been conrolling the dvd with the remote, cant remember.

Here is my question. I don’t need to make a big file such as in imovie. I already have the clips I just want to insert, determine how much of the clip I want to use and then use chapters if needed. Cant idvd do all that? Do I have to make the movie with all clips in order and transitions etc, then export to idvd? It seems like a lot of extra work…can I achieve everything with idvd, and just have it play all after the first thumbnail? I just need it to be able to trim each clip to use what I want…however at the same time hopefully it wouldnt save the extra portions of the clip behind each clip I trim, therefore increasing the file size of the dvd?

Thank you

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
iDVD is an app for making video dvds. You can't edit/trim the clips when using it.

If you have some video clips/movie files that don't need editing, transitions, credits/titles etc, then depending on their format, you can drag and drop into an iDVD Project window and burn the disc. You can insert chapter markers with iDVD but their placement is very imprecise.

If you just want to trim the beginning/end of your video, then you can do that with Quicktime.

iMovie is designed to prepare your video for Sharing to iDVD, and if you want to edit, add transitions etc and insert Chapter markers then use that.

digitalduck

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Thanks Dave, so i will have to use imovie and literally make my entire movie with transitions, trimed clips, audio etc as if i wasnt even going to go to idvd and then go to idvd only for placmenet and tempalting and burning.

freetoedit

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
idvd dvd does not play

Burned a dvd via Idvd and it played fine on my dvd player but not on an older player. This was played at an event and very embarassing. What codec is best to use and should I always use the slowest speed since not sure what the event folks may have.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
but not on an older player.
Not much that you can do about that, I'm afraid. Some dvd players, especially older ones, have trouble with homemade dvds.

You can't change the codec. I always use the slowest speed, just to try and prevent any problems that might be caused by high speed writing. There might not be any need for that these days with better quality writers.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Burned a dvd via Idvd and it played fine on my dvd player but not on an older player. This was played at an event and very embarassing. What codec is best to use and should I always use the slowest speed since not sure what the event folks may have.

Yep as Dave Braine said you can't change the codec. What type of DVD recordable disk did you use? Generally speaking DVR-R and DVD+R are better supported than the re-writable formats DVD-RW and DVD+RW. Also avoid double layer disks for the same reason. Check the instructions for the formats that it supports. You may find that if you used DVD+R, that the DVD Player supports DVD-R for example.

DVD+R and DVD+RW formats are supported by Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha.

DVD-R, DVD-RW formats are supported by Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi, NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.