Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1
bodaga53
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Locked out iPhone

I put a new code in my iPhone last night, woke this morning and forgot it. If i reset my iPhone through iTunes will i lose my text that have been coming in all morning?
bodaga53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:09 PM   #2
LoloBond
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaga53 View Post
I put a new code in my iPhone last night, woke this morning and forgot it. If i reset my iPhone through iTunes will i lose my text that have been coming in all morning?
It will restore anything you had on your last backup and lose everything else.
LoloBond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:58 PM   #3
dave420
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaga53 View Post
I put a new code in my iPhone last night, woke this morning and forgot it. If i reset my iPhone through iTunes will i lose my text that have been coming in all morning?
If you have backed up your phone on iTunes before then you should be able to back it up again even though it is asking for a passcode. Then you won't lose anything.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
If you have backed up your phone on iTunes before then you should be able to back it up again even though it is asking for a passcode. Then you won't lose anything.
He won't have the text that have been coming in this morning since he didn't backup.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
fyi... you can back up the phone in iTunes before restoring and not lose anything, even if you don't know the unlock code.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:22 PM   #6
bodaga53
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
fyi... you can back up the phone in iTunes before restoring and not lose anything, even if you don't know the unlock code.
How do I do that when it's telling me i can't backup because iphone is locked? PLEASE HELP...
bodaga53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaga53 View Post
How do I do that when it's telling me i can't backup because iphone is locked? PLEASE HELP...
Did you plug your phone into your computer and open iTunes?
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:40 PM   #8
bodaga53
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
Did you plug your phone into your computer and open iTunes?
Yes, what next???
bodaga53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaga53 View Post
Yes, what next???
Then it is something more than a forgotten password. I have never had to enter my lock screen password to sync/backup my iPhone on the computer and iTunes I set the phone up on.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:49 PM   #10
Tyler23
macrumors 601
 
Tyler23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaga53 View Post
Yes, what next???
Plug it in, go to iTunes, device page? And select backup right in iTunes.
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:51 PM   #11
bodaga53
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Plug it in, go to iTunes, device page? And select backup right in iTunes.
the problem is, its asking for the passcode (i forgot) before it will allow a new backup...
bodaga53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaga53 View Post
the problem is, its asking for the passcode (i forgot) before it will allow a new backup...
Sounds like you never backed it up if it's asking for a password for a new backup. I have never seen that message.
Baggio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:42 PM   #13
SanjeevRana
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Its always supposed to ask for your pin before backup/sync ... how do you guarantee your data security otherwise ?? Anybody can connect and backup your data to their system if they get a hand on your phone even though its pin locked
__________________
*** iOS Dev since 2011 ***
*** Android ROM Dev at XDA-DEV since 2009 ***
iPhone 5 White 64G
2 x iPhone4S 64G iPad2 64GB Black iPad3 32GB White
SanjeevRana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:40 AM   #14
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevRana View Post
Its always supposed to ask for your pin before backup/sync ... how do you guarantee your data security otherwise ?? Anybody can connect and backup your data to their system if they get a hand on your phone even though its pin locked
No it doesn't always ask for the pin if it recognizes the computer. Only for new computers it recognizes the pin.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaga53 View Post
the problem is, its asking for the passcode (i forgot) before it will allow a new backup...
Ringing alarm bells for a stolen iPhone for me. If you synced it before with the computer it wouldn't ask for a pass code.
macingman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:50 AM   #15
Philscbx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mpls Mn
bodaga53 - its asking for the passcode - before it will allow a new backup...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
Sounds like you never backed it up if it's asking for a password for a new backup. I have never seen that message.
Correct - something's up - more than minor rearranged screen lock.
Over 3 years - never need code to sync.
To Attempt to Unlock - would Cancel Sync - Doh!
__________________
MP3.1,8GB,4TB, MBPro13 5.5, iPad1 64G, iPhone 3gs, iTouch, PB15 1.6, ATv, Rxv3900.
Philscbx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:26 AM   #16
bova80
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
if the phone is unlocked prior to backing up it will not ask you for the passcode even if your phone has one set. if the phone is locked it will not let you sync or backup until you enter the passcode on the phone and unlock it, this is for security.

the people saying it's never happened for them probably because your phone wasn't locked asking for the passcode.
bova80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:05 AM   #17
dave420
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bova80 View Post
if the phone is unlocked prior to backing up it will not ask you for the passcode even if your phone has one set. if the phone is locked it will not let you sync or backup until you enter the passcode on the phone and unlock it, this is for security.

the people saying it's never happened for them probably because your phone wasn't locked asking for the passcode.
This isn't completely true. The computer you have previously synced with can back the phone up even if it is locked. I have recovered multiple phones with forgotten passwords this way with no loss of data (seems to come up more often than one might think).
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:17 AM   #18
Philscbx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mpls Mn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
The computer you have previously synced with can back the phone up even if it is locked.
Doing it as we Speak with Screen Locked - Insert Cord to both - Screen on Phone says Sync in Progress.
__________________
MP3.1,8GB,4TB, MBPro13 5.5, iPad1 64G, iPhone 3gs, iTouch, PB15 1.6, ATv, Rxv3900.
Philscbx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:22 AM   #19
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
This isn't completely true. The computer you have previously synced with can back the phone up even if it is locked.

Exactly this. I just plugged in my locked iPhone 5 to the mac I sync to all the time, and it's backing up right now, while still locked.

The lock will only be a problem if you're trying to do this on a computer that your iPhone hasn't synced to (or, if you've set the device up and never synced to any desktop/laptop).
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:42 AM   #20
Philscbx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mpls Mn
bova80 the people saying it's never happened for them probably because your phone wasn't locked asking for the passcode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave420 View Post
This isn't completely true.
The computer you have previously synced with can back the phone up even if it is locked.
BOVA - try it right now -

I'll repeat - plugging in & while in Sync with locked screen -
No Attempt can be made to Unlock -
the only option with slider on phone is killing Sync
__________________
MP3.1,8GB,4TB, MBPro13 5.5, iPad1 64G, iPhone 3gs, iTouch, PB15 1.6, ATv, Rxv3900.
Philscbx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 08:27 AM   #21
greenslucy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and then forget your password, you will not be able to restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverable. If you forget the password, you can continue to back up and use the device, however you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device without the password. You do not need to enter the password for your backup each time you back up or sync.
greenslucy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 09:33 AM   #22
dave420
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenslucy View Post
If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and then forget your password, you will not be able to restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverable. If you forget the password, you can continue to back up and use the device, however you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device without the password. You do not need to enter the password for your backup each time you back up or sync.
That is true, but the password for the backup is different from the password on the phone. It is easy to set a backup password one time and then forget years later when it asks you again for the first time.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5 Locked sadamsmith13 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Oct 18, 2013 05:33 AM
iPhone: Replacing locked iPhone 4 with new unlocked iPhone by switching SIM tray & EMEI helphelphelp!!! Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Mar 30, 2013 07:27 AM
Is my iphone locked? newdeal iPhone 2 Feb 26, 2013 09:48 AM
Password-locked iPhone: how safe is data on lost iPhone katewes iOS 6 3 Dec 31, 2012 03:54 AM
Help iPhone 3G locked richardspain Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Jun 15, 2012 01:21 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC