Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave3lions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Hi all, I have a mid 2011 27" iMac running Windows 8 via BootCamp. As part of my studies I have installed three virtual servers running Windows Server 2008 on Oracle VM Virtual Box.

It has taken a huge amount of configuration and gets more complicated as I progress through my work so instead of repeating the whole process on the MBP i'd simply like to screen share. I've had limited success using Tight VNC but the lag rendered it pointless. Can anybody recommend an app (paid or not) that will allow me to screen share from Windows 8 to Mountain Lion?

Thank you, David.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Can anybody recommend an app (paid or not) that will allow me to screen share from Windows 8 to Mountain Lion?
I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

dave3lions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks GGJstudios that worked a treat. Your right, it's very easy to set up and I had it running in a flash.

There is a small amount of lag but nothing like as bad as TightVNC. My only criticism is some of the windows are scaled down quite small and difficult to read so I had to zoom in to the browser window. Not a big deal really and something I can get used to.

Thanks for the help :)

David.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks GGJstudios that worked a treat. Your right, it's very easy to set up and I had it running in a flash.

There is a small amount of lag but nothing like as bad as TightVNC. My only criticism is some of the windows are scaled down quite small and difficult to read so I had to zoom in to the browser window. Not a big deal really and something I can get used to.
As for the lag, make sure you set your view options to optimize speed vs quality. You can also set scaling to the original if you prefer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.