Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:12 AM   #426
ManicMarc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I guess if you're going to compare rooted Android, it would only be fair to compare to Jail Broken iPhone

Anyway, this thread has gone in way to long - seems to have lost reason.
__________________
ManicMarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:02 PM   #427
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMarc View Post
I guess if you're going to compare rooted Android, it would only be fair to compare to Jail Broken iPhone
Yes for the 2 months out of the year that you can actually jailbreak. The iPhone 5 came out at the very end of summer, 2012. It is now well into winter of 2013 and the jailbreak is just now getting ready to be released. Maybe.

My Nexus 4 was released in the middle of November, 2012. I got in on the first batch of shipments. I had the rooting instructions before I even received it.

So, nah, you can't compare rooting and jailbreaking. Plus there is one store for both rooted and non-rooted apps for Android. Never fully trusted the Cydia store (especially after buying apps that I soon was unable to use).




Michael
Tinmania is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:04 PM   #428
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Yes for the 2 months out of the year that you can actually jailbreak. The iPhone 5 came out at the very end of summer, 2012. It is now well into winter of 2013 and the jailbreak is just now getting ready to be released. Maybe.

My Nexus 4 was released in the middle of November, 2012. I got in on the first batch of shipments. I had the rooting instructions before I even received it.

So, nah, you can't compare rooting and jailbreaking. Plus there is one store for both rooted and non-rooted apps for Android. Never fully trusted the Cydia store (especially after buying apps that I soon was unable to use).




Michael
There's absolutely no approval process in the Google Play Store, so there's really no reason to trust it any more than Cydia, but that's your call.

Edit: Duhhhhh. I forgot about refunds. I guess that's one reason to trust it more
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:05 PM   #429
ManicMarc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Gave my Nexus 7 away, no decent tablet software it. Maybe rooting it would have helped.
__________________
ManicMarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:28 PM   #430
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I tell ya what, if the iPhone does get bigger to the rumored 5" screen size, that power/sleep button is going to have to come to the side. Leaving it on top would be a mistake.

It's the most uncomfortable thing trying to put an HTC One X to sleep mainly because you have to adjust your hand up the phone to reach it with your index finger.
onthecouchagain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:23 AM   #431
Irishman
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
I tell ya what, if the iPhone does get bigger to the rumored 5" screen size, that power/sleep button is going to have to come to the side. Leaving it on top would be a mistake.

It's the most uncomfortable thing trying to put an HTC One X to sleep mainly because you have to adjust your hand up the phone to reach it with your index finger.
Except that moving it would cause the muscle memory of millions to try to reach up there anyway. Don't use that, though! That's what's kept the iPhone in the past!
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:24 AM   #432
jrswizzle
macrumors 68040
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
I tell ya what, if the iPhone does get bigger to the rumored 5" screen size, that power/sleep button is going to have to come to the side. Leaving it on top would be a mistake.

It's the most uncomfortable thing trying to put an HTC One X to sleep mainly because you have to adjust your hand up the phone to reach it with your index finger.
On the other hand, having the button the side is a pain....I'm constantly pushing the volume controls when I'm trying to put my phone to sleep....just depends on how you hold it I guess, but I prefer the sleep button on top.
__________________
Apple: iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S
Android: Motorola Moto G
Windows: Nokia Lumia 520
Tablet: iPad mini retina, iPad Air
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:44 PM   #433
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
On the other hand, having the button the side is a pain....I'm constantly pushing the volume controls when I'm trying to put my phone to sleep....just depends on how you hold it I guess, but I prefer the sleep button on top.

I don't see that as being a bigger issue than having the power/wake button at the top. I think the opposing side button thing is a fairly easy thing to resolve and adjust to. There's so much area on the side of the phone that you can grasp instead of the buttons themselves. I assure you, you'll adjust far quicker than you think.

Every time I had to put my HOX to sleep and/or to wake it, it was a chore (granted for the iPhone, if the physical home button remains, you can wake it that way, but that physical button should go the way of the dinosaurs, too, in my opinion).

On a large device, such an important button simply shouldn't be so far out of reach. Every single time you need to press it, you have to seriously adjust your hand/grip.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:18 PM   #434
JHUFrank
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicMarc View Post
Gave my Nexus 7 away, no decent tablet software it. Maybe rooting it would have helped.

I am underwhelmed as well.
__________________
13" Macbook Air, 4gigs ram, 256gig SSD ;
Lenovo T420, 16gigs ram, 256 SSD, 750 Hybrid
Samsung Galaxy Note 2; Lenovo and Apple Fanboy
JHUFrank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:14 AM   #435
gonca
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Europe
honestly can't find a reason to change..
gonca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:21 AM   #436
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Still nothing beats the speed and simplicity of a Jailbroken iPhone
Grolubao is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:23 AM   #437
\-V-/
macrumors 65816
 
\-V-/'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
No reason to switch. I love the apps on my phone, regardless if the OS is starting to feel dated. It's stable, incredibly fast, and does what I want. It's good enough for me.
__________________
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is suicide.
\-V-/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:01 AM   #438
Oohara
macrumors 6502a
 
Oohara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I'm headed for the Note 2 (or 3) after five years with iPhones. It's not only that I'd love to have a bigger screen and a more customizeable OS. To my surprise I'm finding more and more that it's now actually Android that provides the more simple and elegant UI experience.

Stuff like digging stupidly far into my iPhone Settings just to change the screen brightness vs just pressing a widget on my homescreen on Android. Using gestures to control whatever or having app icons do more than one thing depending on if I press and slide or just press them (Nova Launcher). And of course assigning my own choice of default apps, so I don't have to have my Flipboard links opened in Safari where I don't want to bookmark them because I prefer Chrome. Etc. I've been on the fence with going to Android for a long time, what finally tipped my choice in that direction was this video and this video (didn't think you could do all that without rooting).

What I'm surprised at is how far ahead Apple has let the competition get. They used to be the ones with all the elegant UI moves. Sure, you have to work more to get all the good stuff set up on an Android phone. But it's so worth it and actually so simple that I can hardly accept "it just works" as a pro iOS argument anymore.

Also I used to bitch about Android phones all being ugly or having crap build quality, and the iPhone 4S is still unbeaten IMO (iPhone 5 looks disharmounious in its proportions and is too light for my taste), but I've finally come to prefer Android so much that I'm ready to drop the style concern. Fine, I'll have to live with that ********* ugly SAMSUNG logo on top of my phone, but every time I one-click to turn off wifi, open a link from an email in Chrome or two finger-swipe down instead of reaching for the power button to put the phone to sleep, I'll be one bit more OK with having abandoned my gorgeous iP4S.
Oohara is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:05 AM   #439
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I initially would've said no to the thread question, but after jail breaking I don't see many compelling reasons to switch besides a larger screen. Android < Jailbroken iPhone, for me at least.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:05 AM   #440
viskon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I initially would've said no to the thread question, but after jail breaking I don't see many compelling reasons to switch besides a larger screen. Android < Jailbroken iPhone, for me at least.
But won't the next iOS update leave you without a jailbreak again ?
viskon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:09 AM   #441
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by viskon View Post
But won't the next iOS update leave you without a jailbreak again ?
I'm assuming the next iOS update will be iOS 7, and that might be better than Android for me. If not, I'm sure a jailbreak will come.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:10 AM   #442
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040
 
bandofbrothers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by viskon View Post
But won't the next iOS update leave you without a jailbreak again ?
It's looking like evasi0n will cover iOS 6

iOS 7 will be another story !
bandofbrothers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:26 AM   #443
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I would if most of my friends did. Only reason is because I rely on iMessage so much. I know there are alternatives but this is the easiest for me. I probably average 300-500 text a day via group messaging with iMessage.

I have an Android tablet and I enjoy it and for work can be a bit more productive with it then my iPad so I do enjoy android but on my phone I prefer iOS.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:59 AM   #444
Tinmania
macrumors 68030
 
Tinmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Aridzona
Quote:
Originally Posted by viskon View Post
But won't the next iOS update leave you without a jailbreak again ?
Absolutely. I for one am glad I am off the waiting-forever-for-jailbreak merry-go-round. The iPhone 5 was out for 4 1/2 months before it could be jailbroken. My iPad 3, nearly a year old, had about 4-5 months of being able to be jailbroken.

I rooted my Nexus 4 the day I got it--and I was one of the first to receive it in the very first batches shipped. Ditto for my Note 2. We will never see this on an iPhone anymore, at least not in my opinion.

That said I am hoping Apple out-does themselves with iOS 7. I am open to returning to an iPhone if they do. (It will need to have a larger screen--but at this point I think that goes without saying.)




Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:20 AM   #445
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Yeah, iPhone it is. I use everything Apple.

-Tablet = iPad 3
-MP3 Player = iPod touch, nano and shuffle. (All newest models)
-Laptop = 15" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina display
-Desktop = 21" Late 2012 iMac
-Phone = iPhone
Etc
__________________
MBP Retina 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Quad core Intel i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB Mavericks Unlocked iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey iPod shuffle 4th gen 2GB silver
AppleDeviceUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:21 PM   #446
grkm3
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
Yeah, iPhone it is. I use everything Apple.

-Tablet = iPad 3
-MP3 Player = iPod touch, nano and shuffle. (All newest models)
-Laptop = 15" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina display
-Desktop = 21" Late 2012 iMac
-Phone = iPhone
Etc
and you will never leave apple and will line up to get there next gadget without even a single clue of whats inside.

I love how you mention retina display lol what exactly is retina display and why not just list the res of the screen like every other computer maker.

there is a bunch of retina going around and there are resolutions all over the place

does saying retina make you feel better and justify the reason for paying 2x as much for a laptop or imac? put a cool name and double the price and people will buy it like mad,well apple people that is lol
grkm3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:02 PM   #447
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
and you will never leave apple and will line up to get there next gadget without even a single clue of whats inside.

I love how you mention retina display lol what exactly is retina display and why not just list the res of the screen like every other computer maker.

there is a bunch of retina going around and there are resolutions all over the place

does saying retina make you feel better and justify the reason for paying 2x as much for a laptop or imac? put a cool name and double the price and people will buy it like mad,well apple people that is lol
I disagree, I do my research very well, and I know exactly what is inside every product I buy, plus i'm a 16 year old I can't afford to waste money.
Retina display is an extremely high resolution display nothing like the high res displays other computer manufacturers make, trust me I've tested them. By the way, they do list the resolution, it's 2880 x 1800 for a 15" display.
No, what does justify it is an extremely fast quad core processor; 16GBs of the best RAM available; very long battery life; really high res "Retina Display"; compatibility with the software I need to use (Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro, Aperture, Adobe CS6); really fast 512GB SSD. I've looked at the Microsoft laptops I can get for the $3500 (The price my mac was) yeah they are nice but no where near the quality, ease of use, or the performance of my MacBook Pro, not to mention they look like **** vs the MacBook Pro which looks beautiful. Hate if you want too, it's a fact that PC users on average spend 50 hours a year troubleshooting, Mac users, 5 hours.
__________________
MBP Retina 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Quad core Intel i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB Mavericks Unlocked iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey iPod shuffle 4th gen 2GB silver
AppleDeviceUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:21 PM   #448
jrswizzle
macrumors 68040
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
and you will never leave apple and will line up to get there next gadget without even a single clue of whats inside.

I love how you mention retina display lol what exactly is retina display and why not just list the res of the screen like every other computer maker.

there is a bunch of retina going around and there are resolutions all over the place

does saying retina make you feel better and justify the reason for paying 2x as much for a laptop or imac? put a cool name and double the price and people will buy it like mad,well apple people that is lol
Lol - u mad bro?

There is actually a formula behind the term "retina". Perhaps it is you who needs to check his facts/research.

Why does it matter what this kid wants/has? Is it offensive to you in some way? I suggest relaxing and simply liking what you like and letting others do the same.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Absolutely. I for one am glad I am off the waiting-forever-for-jailbreak merry-go-round. The iPhone 5 was out for 4 1/2 months before it could be jailbroken. My iPad 3, nearly a year old, had about 4-5 months of being able to be jailbroken.

I rooted my Nexus 4 the day I got it--and I was one of the first to receive it in the very first batches shipped. Ditto for my Note 2. We will never see this on an iPhone anymore, at least not in my opinion.

That said I am hoping Apple out-does themselves with iOS 7. I am open to returning to an iPhone if they do. (It will need to have a larger screen--but at this point I think that goes without saying.)



Michael
I guess I won't ever understand why larger screen = more advanced.

If anything, the fact Apple can pack better battery life, the efficiency/power of the A6 and the far brighter and more accurate retina display into something as thin and light as the iPhone 5 is more "technologically advanced" than simply increasing the size of the phone because they need to triple the size of the battery to make it last half a day and throw an octa-core processor in there to increase the fluidity of the UI.....

Yes, I exaggerated....slightly

Still - if you want a bigger screen and that's your preference, then great! I hope Apple DOES add a larger screen to their lineup. Choice is good. But let's stop pretending that upping the screen size is some technological advancement.

If that were the case, there's a guy here in Dallas who wins (even though his football team hasn't won since 1995 .....)
__________________
Apple: iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S
Android: Motorola Moto G
Windows: Nokia Lumia 520
Tablet: iPad mini retina, iPad Air
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:41 PM   #449
grkm3
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
I disagree, I do my research very well, and I know exactly what is inside every product I buy, plus i'm a 16 year old I can't afford to waste money.
Retina display is an extremely high resolution display nothing like the high res displays other computer manufacturers make, trust me I've tested them. By the way, they do list the resolution, it's 2880 x 1800 for a 15" display.
No, what does justify it is an extremely fast quad core processor; 16GBs of the best RAM available; very long battery life; really high res "Retina Display"; compatibility with the software I need to use (Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro, Aperture, Adobe CS6); really fast 512GB SSD. I've looked at the Microsoft laptops I can get for the $3500 (The price my mac was) yeah they are nice but no where near the quality, ease of use, or the performance of my MacBook Pro, not to mention they look like **** vs the MacBook Pro which looks beautiful. Hate if you want too, it's a fact that PC users on average spend 50 hours a year troubleshooting, Mac users, 5 hours.
you just proved my point,a 16 year old with a 3500 dollar laptop that mom and dad paid for.Now if you really were on a budget you could of got a lot more bang for your buck going with a pc.

pc users don't trouble shoot and you are proving my point that you will buy nothing but apple as you are a 16 year old fanboy
grkm3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:43 PM   #450
jrswizzle
macrumors 68040
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
you just proved my point,a 16 year old with a 3500 dollar laptop that mom and dad paid for.Now if you really were on a budget you could of got a lot more bang for your buck going with a pc.

pc users don't trouble shoot and you are proving my point that you will buy nothing but apple as you are a 16 year old fanboy
You make a lot of assumptions....

I don't know it you've heard the saying:

"Don't assume. It only makes an ass out you u and me."

In this case though, I'm not the ass....
__________________
Apple: iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S
Android: Motorola Moto G
Windows: Nokia Lumia 520
Tablet: iPad mini retina, iPad Air
jrswizzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC