Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I'm starting to think this will be my last iPhone unless there are dramatic changes to iPhone 6.

The UI has become extremely stale and I still can't do simple ****ing things like read and reply to a text message without exiting the app. Speaking of apps, iPhone multitasking is still half assed and not real multitasking.. let's not get into the Maps fiasco..

Hardware wise, it's nice to look at and feel, but we still don't have a bigger screen, the battery, especially on the 5, is garbage. No NFC, no innovation...

In about 2-3 months all the competitors will be ahead of iPhone and we'll still be waiting for the once a year minimal upgrade.

Last edited:

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
I'm going back to Android if iOS7 turns up to be a big disappointment.

iOS6 shows that the operating system is becoming stale and indicates that Apple isn't being innovative like they used to under Jobs.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
I'm starting to think this will be my last iPhone unless there are dramatic changes to iPhone 6.

The UI has become extremely stale and I still can't do simple ****ing things like read and reply to a text message without exiting the app. Speaking of apps, iPhone multitasking is still half assed and not real multitasking.. let's not get into the Maps fiasco..

Hardware wise, it's nice to look at and feel, but we still don't have a bigger screen, the battery, especially on the 5, is garbage. No NFC, still a small screen, no innovation...

In about 2-3 months all the competitors will be ahead of iPhone and we'll still be waiting for the once a year minimal upgrade.

I'll be switching just wish some of the app I used on a daily basis were of the same quality.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
"Apple never innovates"
"Nintendo only has kids games"

Yet both these companies make billions more than their competitors....

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
"Apple never innovates"
"Nintendo only has kids games"

Yet both these companies make billions more than their competitors....

Not hard when you're marketing to the lowest common denominator-- for example technologically illiterate soccer moms and grandmas.

I have no doubt they'll continue making profits, I just don't think I'll continue buying their products.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I love Apple, and the iPhone is great, but I'm really intrigued by a Nokia Lumia running Windows mobile OS. I generally hate windows, but their design seems pretty fresh and interesting.

I could see my self switching over when my contract is up (in a couple of years), but I could just as easily stick with iPhone (especially if iOS 7 or iOS 8 add anything beyond basic small fixes).

cdfink08

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2007
I love Apple, and the iPhone is great, but I'm really intrigued by a Nokia Lumia running Windows mobile OS. I generally hate windows, but their design seems pretty fresh and interesting.

I could see my self switching over when my contract is up (in a couple of years), but I could just as easily stick with iPhone (especially if iOS 7 or iOS 8 add anything beyond basic small fixes).

I currently have the Lumia 920 and it is far and away the best phone I have ever owned. Wp8 definitely has its drawback when it comes to apps but if you aren't into the whole app "ecosystem" it really is a great device.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Not hard when you're marketing to the lowest common denominator-- for example technologically illiterate soccer moms and grandmas.

Right, because a company can be SO profitable marketing only to people who need to know their way around a Command Line terminal to use the thing. :rolleyes:

If that's what you want, don't wait. Get an Android now.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I just finished trading my backup HTC One X+ for an iPhone 5 (I should have the iPhone later this week), but I agree with the sentiment that iOS 7 is going to have to bring something new and fresh if Apple wants me to use my upgrade later this year on the next iPhone.

The iPhone hardware is great (aside from the chipping and bending issues the 5 is having for some people). But now I think it's time for Apple to turn it's attention to iOS and how they can not only improve it, but redo it altogether. It's time for the software to catch up to the hardware.

Will the phone currently do pretty much everything I want it to? Yes. But consumers have gotten to the point where they're much more educated about the choices they have (aside from the soccer moms and grandmas mentioned above). My Galaxy S3 is a fantastic phone...both in hardware and software. Now I'd like to see Apple get back to their roots and push Samsung/Android to have to further improve both their hardware and software.

Android and their OEMs have caught up and in some cases, surpassed Apple at this point. It's time Apple pulled out the big guns, quit resting on their laurels, and shot back. As consumers, we ALL benefit from this sort of give and take.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I'm going back to Android if iOS7 turns up to be a big disappointment.

iOS6 shows that the operating system is becoming stale and indicates that Apple isn't being innovative like they used to under Jobs.

qft

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'll probably get the next iPhone and probably end up using it the most. I always tinker with android but prefer the simplicity of an iPhone. IF my career changes and I had more time to tinker I wouldn't mind messing with an android again... or if android can up their ecosystem

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I've already switched after the iPhone 5 but will be keeping an eye on the next iPhone to see if apple decides to make any changes.

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
I'd really like to see the stock Mail app in iOS7 finally work properly with Gmail. And by that I mean real label support etc. Id almost like to see a makeover of the contacts app.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I'll be sticking with the next iPhone I'm sure, unless Android handsets next year can somehow match its superior app ecosystem, get an iMessage competitor that works well (and get all my friends to switch from iMessage), improve reliability, and match the iPhone's aesthetic value. I'm not holding my breath though.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Happy with the iPhone and other platforms whilst competitive still don't have what it takes to lure me yet.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If there is a high end Android handset with a good design (not covered with carrier logos and made of plastic) and 64GB of storage (hello, throttled data plan) then I will be tempted to switch platforms if iOS7 isn't a big improvement. It's a big pain to switch but even BB10 is looking more interesting these days.

Honestly, I think Apple is a little complacent these days and I wouldn't expect that they think anything major needs to change. The 5S will definitely not see a major OS revision.

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
My biggest reason for sticking with the iphone is that I use a Mac in my stereo, and the remote app on my phone.

If there was a work-around for that, I'd go Lumia in a heartbeat.

For now I've stuck with my 4S; hopefully they work out all the quality issues by the time the 5S comes out.

Sadly, the days of Apple innovating seem over; nowadays they're just keeping up with the Joneses (& not doing a very good job of that).

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
The entire point of iOS (and any other OS for that matter) is to get out of the way of applications.

iOS does this better than any other mobile OS on the market.

What the f would any sane person care if their backdrop changes from day to night?
Your phone is a tool to browse the web, send email/SMS, play games, ect.
If you are spending time watching the backdrop on your phone you have problems, need to work more, or get out more.

Get an email, type a reply, send, back to pocket. Done.
Sitting on BART, open a game, play it, back in pocket. Done.
Get a text, reply, back in pocket. Done.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
The entire point of iOS (and any other OS for that matter) is to get out of the way of applications.

iOS does this better than any other mobile OS on the market.

What the f would any sane person care if their backdrop changes from day to night?
Your phone is a tool to browse the web, send email/SMS, play games, ect.
If you are spending time watching the backdrop on your phone you have problems, need to work more, or get out more.

Get an email, type a reply, send, back to pocket. Done.
Sitting on BART, open a game, play it, back in pocket. Done.
Get a text, reply, back in pocket. Done.

Well said. I get a good laugh out of these "iOS is stale; Apple needs or refresh or they're going to fail" discussions. The quality of the apps is where iOS shines.

I'll admit that there are quite a few features that could make it more functional as a whole but who cares what it looks like as long as it gets the job done? I know I don't.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
If you say iOS is stale and boring how much more fun is it to use Android or Windows 8? They all do the same things. The best thing I like about Android is easier to toggle BT, Wifi, GPS from pull down menu that's it. I hate Widgets and I hate when you hold down the background and many useless options pop up to customized homescreen. They are redundant. Animated live background? File explorer? I guess Android community calls these things innovation. Jelly Bean did not change much from ICS just like iOS has not evolve much. Quality of Apps on iOS is way ahead of Android.

And iOS multitasking works like the way it's supposed to. Do you want something running in the background without your permission like Android does? While it drains your battery and RAM? You know why most of these phones need 2GB RAM just to make the Android OS smooth on Jelly Bean while iOS is just fine with 512MB or 1GB RAM.

Last edited:

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
With how much money I've invested in apps, movies, songs, etc from Apple/iTunes there is no way I'll move to another eco-system. There isn't THAT much difference between them all to make me move.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Yes, unless iOS 7 brings a major change to the table I will be switching to the whatever Samsung flagship device is out in October. Hopefully a Galaxy S4 or Note3.

Truthfully besides app quality there are 3 things I will miss about iOS unavailable on Android: 1) seamless iTunes music syncing 2) iMessage 3) "Reader" functionality in Safari

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm going to keep my 4s until it falls apart and then evaluate the market.

I really dislike the current trend for bigger phones and I hope apple doesn't follow the herd on that one (or at least keeps a smaller phone available).

If it does and the only iPhone available is a behemoth I'll probably look at one of the smaller Android phones. If there's a smaller iPhone available, I'll definitely get that

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Absolutely! The iPhone 5 is a major improvement over my 4S, which was also amazing. But I think i will skip getting the 5S if one were to come out unless there are major spec bumps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.