Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgiaach

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
NYC
So I was fooling around with some apps in my dock and I accidentally clicked on Time Machine. I was about to close it when I noticed that Time Machine has backups on my internal SSD. Granted they only go back to January 9 (the day I got the machine), I find this really strange. I have an external HDD that I use for my Time Machine Backup so why is my computer using internal space for backups?

Can I fix this or is it not something to be concerned about?

Running OS 10.8.2
15" rMBP

bgiaach

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
NYC
TM does local backups for some reason but you can turn it off within the terminal
sudo tmutil disablelocal

To reenable it turn off time machine and turn it back on or just issue this
sudo tmutil enablelocal

This article explains it pretty well http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/28/disable-time-machine-local-backups-in-mac-os-x-lion/

Got it! Thank you. I guess that because I could never run Lion or Mountain Lion on my old Mac, I never read up of this kind of stuff.

Cheers!

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Would an alternate approach be to keep time machine off except when the external hard drive is attached?

I am thinking of doing it this way.

R

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Would an alternate approach be to keep time machine off except when the external hard drive is attached?

I am thinking of doing it this way.

R

You can leave Time Machine on all the time and just ignore the local backups. Although it does use some disk space it does not detract from the space available to you for storage. If you need the space for storage, OS X will automatically shrink the space. You can read a little about it here.

I would not disable local backups. It can be a handy feature to have file version backups available when you are away from your Time Machine backup disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.