Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:43 PM   #1
gab0.1992
macrumors newbie

iMac 2013-2014-2015 predictions

I know recently the imac was redesign and upgraded inside. But what all of you think they will get for the next 3 years to come? I know this year will be upgraded to haswell CPU, wifi ac, maybe retina or next year... What else you guys think to need or be upgraded?
gab0.1992 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:44 PM   #2
oililymad
macrumors 6502

after spending 2000 on this one, that I haven't got yet. I will be making a point not to see what any new iMac has to offer for the next couple of years. :-P
oililymad is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:54 PM   #3
gab0.1992
macrumors newbie

Hahahaha you should! Enjoy it!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

It's going to keep getting thinner and thinner until it's thin as paper, and the generation after that will use a CRT

In all seriousness, take a look at the last 15 years of iMac and you can see a trend that will likely continue. I don't like that they keep making them thinner because folks who run the CPU a lot will have heat dissipation issues in the tiny enclosure that could lead to component failures down the line. But then again that's what the Mac Pro is designed for.
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:14 PM   #5
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Personally I think that all we are going to see for the next year are hardware spec bumps.... I think the signal that something major is changing is when the OS changes dramatically enough that the Mac itself needs to change to take advantage of the features.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:21 PM   #6
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

A revision of the iMac that includes architecture to the point of incorporating the Intel Haswell processor . . . that may be relatively distant, say more than a year off. Further revisions in screen production may be seen before a CPU change.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:03 PM   #7
virginblue4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
It's going to keep getting thinner and thinner until it's thin as paper, and the generation after that will use a CRT

In all seriousness, take a look at the last 15 years of iMac and you can see a trend that will likely continue. I don't like that they keep making them thinner because folks who run the CPU a lot will have heat dissipation issues in the tiny enclosure that could lead to component failures down the line. But then again that's what the Mac Pro is designed for.
But the 2012 iMac has better heat dissipation than previous models....

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 7.1
iPad mini with Retina display, silver, iOS 7.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:04 PM   #8
gab0.1992
macrumors newbie

I think they same design will be the same for more than 3 years. But the internals must change. Also the brodwell CPU by 2014 I read that will be system on chip like iOS and if apple acquire that that mean they'll make them thinner.

What do you guys think about OLED displays?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:09 PM   #9
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab0.1992 View Post
I think they same design will be the same for more than 3 years. But the internals must change. Also the brodwell CPU by 2014 I read that will be system on chip like iOS and if apple acquire that that mean they'll make them thinner.

What do you guys think about OLED displays?
Still prohibitively expensive for use in something like an iMac. Maybe in 2+ years though.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:25 AM   #10
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
But the 2012 iMac has better heat dissipation than previous models....
I haven't heard that anywhere, can you link me to that source
Zwhaler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:16 AM   #11
washburn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Still prohibitively expensive for use in something like an iMac. Maybe in 2+ years though.
yeah its all shifting towards OLED

seems like more and more companies are abandoning LCD and investing building new factories for OLED, and there has been so many breakthroughs for OLED all around the world something new almost every week, better blue lifetime, image retention problems, ability to print a display using ink-jet printers.

I wonder what Apple thinks of OLED though, the iPhone screen is obviously superior to OLED phones maybe they still prefer LCD as a superior tech and OLED is not quite there yet.

But then there is also QLED which is in its early stages, and is suppose to better than OLED...
washburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:24 AM   #12
dr Dunkel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
...and not just if you are looking at it from the exact right angle
iPod Classic
dr Dunkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:25 AM   #13
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502

I predict the next version will be so small that it won't have room for an actual CPU or Hard Drive, but it will look magnificent on your desk...
itsamacthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:32 AM   #14
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Retina of some sort or 4K display. I'd imagine the SSD part will carry on getting bigger, probably as early as next generation. But overall I expect the form factor to remain for some time (3 years minimum)
Confuzzzed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:54 AM   #15
MacAlien
macrumors member

Fusion Drives will probably become a standard in the next update or one after. Unsure if there will be too many more updates to the iMac as it'll probably morph into something else in a couple of years.
MacAlien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:04 AM   #16
gab0.1992
macrumors newbie

I think the next imac which integrates "retina" will be an 4k because current imac it's almost 3k. Apple it's just waiting for more companies adopt the 4k a has more content to show on that resolution.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:14 PM   #17
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

The PPI of the current 27" screen from typical viewing distances is already borderline "retina". 4K introduction will to some degree be a marketing thing, if they do it... although if they switch to a totally new panel technology they could wind up with a much better performing screen that will drive more upgrades.

What's interesting is that it looks as though they are preparing to upgrade the external Thunderbolt display. If that sticks to the current resolution/display tech but simply gets the new lamination process, etc, I would imagine it indicates that the current tech should get something like a 2-3 year life cycle.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:30 PM   #18
talmy
macrumors 68040

The Fusion drive is just a bridge product until large SSDs are "affordable," meaning no more expensive than a HDD. In three years time the only moving parts in the iMac will be the fan and the speaker cones.

So the iMac of 2016 (thinking of when AppleCare runs out on the new models) will have SSDs, a base 16GB of RAM, the new Wifi technology (I forget the nomenclature but it is faster than current), and of course the CPU and display processors current in 2016.

Meanwhile I'm still happy with my 3 year old iMac, but probably won't be using it in 2016.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac