Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:55 PM   #1
JippaLippa
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Nvidia Graphics Card For Workstation [Need Advice]

Hello
I'm really happy to be part of this forum and i hope i'll find help.
Anyway i own a Mid 2010 Mac Pro with 2 Intel Xeons 2.4 GHz, 28 Gb 1066 MHz, 2 Ati HD 5770s and several SSDs.

The 2 HD 5770 are not enough for my computer (I mainly work with the 2D and 3D motion graphics) and when i use After Effects or 3D Applications, such as Cinema 4D, i have some speed issues.

I'd like so replace those 2 graphics cards with a more powerfull Nvidia that makes good use of Cuda tecnology.

I was oriented on a GTX 570 model (Or a GTX 560), but i don't know which one to choose.
Could you suggest me a couple of models which fullfill these standards, pelase? (Thank you very much):

- Compatible with mac pro and Mac OSX Lion 10.7
- Has To Work Fine (Even if not officially supported by apple)
- Make a decent use of cuda tecnology
- It doesn't have to overload the Mac Pro's (Mid 2012 8 cores) power supply (They told me the 570/560 don't weight too much on the power supply and i wouldn't have enough money to buy a separate power supply for the VGA only)
- It's drivers for mac should be easy to find/install

Thank you a lot for your assistance and i'm sure you'll be able to help me
Have a nice day/evening (Depending on which part of the world you live in)

Last edited by JippaLippa; Jan 14, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
JippaLippa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:10 AM   #2
OS6-OSX
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Start here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/19/878580

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 14GB Ram | Quadro 4000 | MC6.0 | OS 10.6.8 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324
OS6-OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:46 AM   #3
nigelbb
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
For CUDA there is no question but that the GTX570 is the best performance card. It's actually the last generation model so not so easy to find a new one but there are plenty of used ones at good prices. I upgraded from a GTX285 to a GTX570 & it has made editing in Premier Pro so much smoother. CUDA performance is 2X that of the GTX285 while OpenCL is 3X better. I bought mine from eBay for 120 (about $200).
nigelbb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelbb View Post
For CUDA there is no question but that the GTX570 is the best performance card. It's actually the last generation model so not so easy to find a new one but there are plenty of used ones at good prices. I upgraded from a GTX285 to a GTX570 & it has made editing in Premier Pro so much smoother. CUDA performance is 2X that of the GTX285 while OpenCL is 3X better. I bought mine from eBay for 120 (about $200).
Hi, if you are serious about your work then you need to look at the nvidia quadro line of card's. So either the quadro 2000 in sli or quadro 4000. It puts gaming cards to shame with their efficient drivers and rock solid stability there is no other choice for the professional. For me one quadro 2000 was overkill. They also have specific additional drivers for your apps!
__________________
Haswell or Broardwell MBP? iGPU!
Tri-stan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:49 AM   #5
nigelbb
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
SLI is a Windows thing so not applicable to OS X. For CUDA the Quadra 4000 is slower than the GTX570 (& many times the price) while the Quadra 2000 is much slower. The GTX570 uses the same driver as the Quadra cards.

I just re-read the OP where it specifies OS X 10.7 (Lion). If you want to install a regular PC card like the GTX570 then you really want to upgrade to OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) & use the Nvidia drivers
nigelbb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:34 PM   #6
brentsg
macrumors 68020
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
There are some current issues with VM's crashing, and a bug with Chrome and video in my NV 680 w/NV driver. I'm not sure if this carries over to their officially supported cards or not.

There were some complaining about the VM software crashing when 3d acceleration was on and I was finally able to replicate this when I was doing totally-non 3D work in a VM. I was running a Java script that I use when ripping Blu-ray disks and I crashed. Turning 3D acceleration off in the VM works fine now.
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:23 PM   #7
derbothaus
macrumors 601
 
derbothaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-stan View Post
Hi, if you are serious about your work then you need to look at the nvidia quadro line of card's. So either the quadro 2000 in sli or quadro 4000. It puts gaming cards to shame with their efficient drivers and rock solid stability there is no other choice for the professional. For me one quadro 2000 was overkill. They also have specific additional drivers for your apps!
A single 570 will put the Quadro 4000 to shame in most tasks. The drivers are a misleading sales pitch that still can't overcome the underwhelming power. Look at the tests. Usually you see it up against the 5770 or something. Sorry people need to pay so much though. A Quadro 5000/6000 is another story entirely as it is actually relatively current. 90% of the time go with the 570 unless you have VERY specific needs for acceleration.
__________________
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
derbothaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbothaus View Post
A single 570 will put the Quadro 4000 to shame in most tasks. The drivers are a misleading sales pitch that still can't overcome the underwhelming power. Look at the tests. Usually you see it up against the 5770 or something. Sorry people need to pay so much though. A Quadro 5000/6000 is another story entirely as it is actually relatively current. 90% of the time go with the 570 unless you have VERY specific needs for acceleration.
I like the quadro cards but they cost so much, althought the performance in 3Dsmax and AutoCAD is good 3D performance in google earth is poor. I could put it in max settings and 2000 would struggle to render the earth and judder. One of the main reason to go for them is mission critical apps and long sustained work sessions. A gaming card in these situations is good but unreliable. So it is going to be down to budget.
__________________
Haswell or Broardwell MBP? iGPU!
Tri-stan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:51 PM   #9
derbothaus
macrumors 601
 
derbothaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelbb View Post
If you want to install a regular PC card like the GTX570 then you really want to upgrade to OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) & use the Nvidia drivers
On a side not, if anyone is on Lion they should upgrade to 10.8. No reason to stay on 10.7 except for 3rd party SW that may not have tweaked for Orwellian App Control. 10.6 and 10.8 for me at this point. 10.7 is a dookie half child with all the unfixed leftovers.
__________________
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
derbothaus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:43 PM   #10
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbothaus View Post
On a side not, if anyone is on Lion they should upgrade to 10.8. No reason to stay on 10.7 except for 3rd party SW that may not have tweaked for Orwellian App Control. 10.6 and 10.8 for me at this point. 10.7 is a dookie half child with all the unfixed leftovers.
I completely agree. I skipped Lion. It is indeed dookie.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:45 AM   #11
nigelbb
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
I completely agree. I skipped Lion. It is indeed dookie.
I too skipped Lion on all our systems. I have been pleased with Mountain Lion.
nigelbb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest OS X 10.8.3 Beta Adds NVIDIA Quadro K5000 Graphics Card Drivers MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 63 Mar 24, 2013 07:47 PM
Graphics Card for Gaming and Workstation jcodyg Mac Pro 7 Jan 14, 2013 06:34 PM
Graphics Card Issue with Nvidia 650m Help :( DeemalantaFan MacBook Pro 2 Sep 23, 2012 02:24 AM
rMBP: how to get some runtime on nVidia graphics card mrksale MacBook Pro 1 Aug 21, 2012 12:38 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC