Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:40 PM   #1
migdaddy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Roaming question

This is more of a service question vs an iPhone question, but maybe some of you can answer my question. I currently have an iPhone 4S with sprint. I live in NYC and I'm going to Canada this coming weekend. I need to still be able to have service, but I don't wanna be charged up the ying yang for roaming. What's the easiest and most cos efficient way to do this? If I turn roaming off, will I still be able to have service and not be charged? Thanks for the help.
__________________
White iPhone 4s 16GB naked Black iPad 2 16GB 1st Gen 15" Macbook Pro 80GB.
migdaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:41 PM   #2
ezramoore
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Washington State
Roaming in general is an expensive proposition. I recommend you call your carrier and have a serious discussion about estimated charges.

Be sure to turn off data roaming under settings. You don't want to pay data roaming charges in Canada.
ezramoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3
migdaddy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezramoore View Post
Roaming in general is an expensive proposition. I recommend you call your carrier and have a serious discussion about estimated charges.

Be sure to turn off data roaming under settings. You don't want to pay data roaming charges in Canada.
I need to be able to text my girl on Saturday while she's away for a few hours. By turning off data roaming, will I still be able to have service? Or does that completely shut off service as soon as I leave the USA?
__________________
White iPhone 4s 16GB naked Black iPad 2 16GB 1st Gen 15" Macbook Pro 80GB.
migdaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:46 PM   #4
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God
 
-aggie-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where bunnies are welcome.
Call Sprint and ask them to add International service (at least that's how AT&T works) and turn off roaming. You'll only get charged for calls (from or to) or voice mails (if you check them) or texts, but be aware the cost per minute is pretty steep, but as long as you keep the minutes down it won't be too bad.
__________________
Google with site:macrumors.com as a parameter.
DFU Mode
-aggie- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
You can text with data roaming turned off. You won't be able to iMessage and you probably won't be able to send an MMS message with data roaming turned off. If you want to send an MMS you can turn data roaming on and send it, but don't send it as an iMessage because you will actually get charged for data usage. If you send as regular MMS message through the carrier you should only get charged for the message, not data. If you don't add a data roaming plan, I believe you get charged about $20 a MB. Calls will be charged per minute. Check your carrier for rates.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:03 PM   #6
migdaddy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Guy from sprint said that I should have data roaming off but keep voice roaming on. Said I will not be charged for messaging, but I will be charged if I go on the Internet if not connected to wifi. Does that make sense?

I message my girl from a free texting app bc she lives in Canada. This is all I will need to do. This make sense to you guys?
__________________
White iPhone 4s 16GB naked Black iPad 2 16GB 1st Gen 15" Macbook Pro 80GB.
migdaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by migdaddy View Post
Guy from sprint said that I should have data roaming off but keep voice roaming on. Said I will not be charged for messaging, but I will be charged if I go on the Internet if not connected to wifi. Does that make sense?

I message my girl from a free texting app bc she lives in Canada. This is all I will need to do. This make sense to you guys?
You will get charged for messages sent. Receiving messages come out of your texting plan. Never heard of free messaging roaming internationally. I am talking about regular SMS/MMS. If you are using that messaging app, you are going to need a data connection, i.e. wifi or cell data. Also, visual voice mail won't work, because that needs a data connection as well.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:27 PM   #8
migdaddy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
You will get charged for messages sent. Receiving messages come out of your texting plan. Never heard of free messaging roaming internationally. I am talking about regular SMS/MMS. If you are using that messaging app, you are going to need a data connection, i.e. wifi or cell data. Also, visual voice mail won't work, because that needs a data connection as well.
Haha this is so confusing. If I have data roaming on, am I getting charged every second, even though I won't be doing anything? Or do I only get charged when I actually send a message through this app?
__________________
White iPhone 4s 16GB naked Black iPad 2 16GB 1st Gen 15" Macbook Pro 80GB.
migdaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by migdaddy View Post
Haha this is so confusing. If I have data roaming on, am I getting charged every second, even though I won't be doing anything? Or do I only get charged when I actually send a message through this app?
Any kind of notification to the phone, i.e. Facebook, email, your messaging app, etc will use data. The phone connecting to the cellular data network will use some data as well. I would only use it on wifi if I were you, unless sprint offers an international data package.
Baggio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:08 PM   #10
migdaddy
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
Any kind of notification to the phone, i.e. Facebook, email, your messaging app, etc will use data. The phone connecting to the cellular data network will use some data as well. I would only use it on wifi if I were you, unless sprint offers an international data package.
If I double click the home button, and close out every single app that uses the Internet, including email, does that 100% turn them off? Meaning I would have nothing opened unless I re opened it myself?
__________________
White iPhone 4s 16GB naked Black iPad 2 16GB 1st Gen 15" Macbook Pro 80GB.
migdaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by migdaddy View Post
If I double click the home button, and close out every single app that uses the Internet, including email, does that 100% turn them off? Meaning I would have nothing opened unless I re opened it myself?
It's more than that.

1. settings>notifications

All programs under that listing could potentially use data


2. settings>mail and calenders

turn off all email programs


3. the phone is still going to use some data just to maintain the connection.

It's going to cost you about $19.99 for 1 mb of data. Using as little as 5 MB of data is going to cost you about $100.00 I wouldn't risk it. Either turn off roaming data or pre-purchase an international data package from sprint to avoid a big bill.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roaming in the US with a UK 5S - 4G frequencies? kmpowell iPhone 11 Mar 23, 2014 09:29 AM
Data/Voice Roaming and International CDMA question ABC5S iPhone 3 Nov 19, 2013 07:37 PM
Question about roaming NJMetsHero iPhone 1 Aug 1, 2013 08:20 PM
Multiple Airport Question (Roaming) denm316 Mac Peripherals 5 Aug 4, 2012 01:18 PM
iPhone: Roaming Abroad harmeet45 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Jul 23, 2012 05:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC