Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
I'm still trying to find the "perfect" car mount for my ip5.

I want something clean looking, and that is sure to last, plus I need it to be secure.

I love the idea of this, and how they make different back mounts for different car models. They seem a bit pricey, but if they work well and look clean, I don't mind.

I see mixed reviews online, but not a lot of info.

I trust you guys here and wanted to know if any of you have experience with them. Thanks!

https://www.proclipusa.com/

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I have on for my 4S and will be ordering one for my 5. I think it's a great solution and have had no issues with it. I'm not a big fan of suction cup mounts, so this is a great solution for me. It's a little on the pricey side, but it has been worth it.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ

radicalDESIGNZ

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
imo it really depends on where proclip has it designed for your specific car.

also whether you are using a case or not.

for my civic, its in a place where it doesnt block the ac vents and is it a very good position for me to see the phone. as for the holder it holds very well, but if you have a case, it may not fit flushly. another thing to consider is for the iphone5, the landscape view isn't that stable so i wouldn't advise using it.

hope this helps

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I ordered the proclip mount and it's currently on the way. However I did not like their holders so I bought an arkon slim-grip holder and ball plate to attach to the proclip mount. That was only $15 versus buying the proclip holder which is $40.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
I ordered the proclip mount and it's currently on the way. However I did not like their holders so I bought an arkon slim-grip holder and ball plate to attach to the proclip mount. That was only $15 versus buying the proclip holder which is $40.

Are they known to work together?

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Are they known to work together?

Yes the holes in the plate lineup to the holes in the mount. (Called an AMPS pattern)

The only thing I see is that the mount is designed to have screws tapped into them and the plate comes with screws and nuts, so I will just have to start the hole open.

These are the Arkon parts I got:
APAMPS17MM
SP-SBH-KIT
SM050-HPB-2

alanrocks

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm still trying to find the "perfect" car mount for my ip5.

I want something clean looking, and that is sure to last, plus I need it to be secure.

I love the idea of this, and how they make different back mounts for different car models. They seem a bit pricey, but if they work well and look clean, I don't mind.

I trust you guys here and wanted to know if any of you have experience with them. Thanks!

https://www.proclipusa.com/

I currently use the breffo spider podium which i find works perfect in my car. Its worth having a look at...

http://www.breffo.com/collections/spiderpodium

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
I got the Mountek CD slot mount after reading some reviews and watching some videos.

I'll post some thought after it arrives today (love amazon prime!). It should work, if not, it will be the last "cheap" mount I get.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I have used Proclips for years. Well made products.

I like the ones that have the cable attached so you just insert your phone and it charges while it is parked in the holder. I hide the cable in the car gaps so it is not visible.

When I switched from my 4S to a 5, I replaced the cable with a black 3rd party charging adapter (the bottom of the holder comes apart with screws). The sides of the holder are adjustable, so the 5 fits well. I did add some adherent felt to the sides of the holder (when it was naked) to protect the phone. It also works with cases on the phone.

There is a thread here about modding the Proclip...

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
I would highly recommend ProClip, I have used one since the iPhone 4 and they've been fantastic!

Reactions: jagooch

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've been looking at them for years but back then (with my Trēo 650, that's how long ago) I was planning on getting a new car, so I never bought one.

I recently purchased an Accord that I love! Now all I'm waiting for is my upgrade in July. I don't want to have to buy a new holder in 6 months.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I have been using proclips for years too. IMO, there is really nothing in its class, you have to own and use one to understand. The iPhone 5 options are excellent too.

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
After trying other inferior mounting options for my iphone 5 I finally took the plunge and spent $59 for a proclip iphone 5 mount with the cable attachment. I also bought the $29 vehicle specific mount for my 2006 Ford Focus but I didn't like where it attached: it blocked about 3/4 of the vent and pushed the phone out another inch or two. While the option was nicely made I figured I could just take the radio bezel off and mount it better and more flush myself, I'll just buy a new bezel when I sell the car.

It mounts with 4 screws, as you can see I have some ugly silver screws in there now but I'll eventually get something more pleasing to the eye. Mount is very sturdy, all it takes is one hand and light pressure to get the phone in and out of the dock. It swivels in all directions for the best viewing and you can tighten/ loosen this screw if you want.

I'm very happy with the proclip mount, should have gotten it along time ago! Now I can just drop my phone in the mount and pandora or whatever music I have going starts playing.

Oh, and it doesn't look to awful like most other mounts when there isn't a phone in it.

P1000597 by Markdizle, on Flickr

P1000598 by Markdizle, on Flickr

P1000600 by Markdizle, on Flickr

sdmcwilliams

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
I just bought one a few weeks ago. Love the mount and the way in looks in my Explorer. The only problem I have is it loosens up in the hot Florida sun. I have to tighten the screws every few days so my iphone doesn't slip through.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
They're all I use in all my cars -- specifically the ones that have dock connectors so you can just drop in the phone and have power and a connection to your system for audio, control, etc. If Panavise makes a bracket for your vehicle I'd suggest getting the Panavise bracket instead of the ProClip vehicle mount and using it with a ProClip device mount. Panavise's brackets securely bolt to your vehicle. ProClip's vehicle mounts are secure in my experience but they tend to rely on friction and/or double-sided tape.

They're discussed in many threads here and on other discussion forum sites as well.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...=chrome.0.57.10753j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

another thing to consider is for the iphone5, the landscape view isn't that stable so i wouldn't advise using it.
Depends on the mount you're using. The ones we have feature a spring loaded clip that secures the top of the iPhone 5.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I just bought one a few weeks ago. Love the mount and the way in looks in my Explorer. The only problem I have is it loosens up in the hot Florida sun. I have to tighten the screws every few days so my iphone doesn't slip through.

I have the same problem. I could have sworn I read something on these boards about a holder (not made by Proclip) that works with the Proclip mounts but is spring-loaded so that it can work with almost any case. I'll have to see if I can find the post.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I've been looking at them for years but back then (with my Trēo 650, that's how long ago) I was planning on getting a new car, so I never bought one.

Heh, that was when I first found out about this company, bought one back then for my Treo, and have bought one ever since for every device I have purchased since then....Blackberries, Droids, iPhones....

I recently purchased an Accord that I love! Now all I'm waiting for is my upgrade in July. I don't want to have to buy a new holder in 6 months.

Got the mount for my 2013 Accord with my iPhone 5, looks a little weird from the photos, but has worked out as a perfect solution, it mounts by the upper screen and clips to the left of the passenger vent. It is completely out of the way and displays perfectly to my line of sight, particularly for my GPS apps and music.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I have the same problem. I could have sworn I read something on these boards about a holder (not made by Proclip) that works with the Proclip mounts but is spring-loaded so that it can work with almost any case. I'll have to see if I can find the post.

That's the one I have, it's very secure and works with a wide range of cases (I'm using the same case as dizle above, a Belkin Candy Grip Sheer). Works well in landscape too.

SBC44

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Thomasville, GA
I have only used Proclip for the last 5 or so years at least. They are expensive, but for something you are going to use every day for years (?) it is well worth it.

I have the mount for use with a case w/ power cable attachment, which at $79.95 is almost comically overpriced, but I still bit the bullet. I have at least 7 or 8 different cases, and because of the design of the mount it will fit every one of them with no problem. (It will even fit while still in my Saddleback pouch since the top and bottom is exposed).

I really can't recommend this case highly enough, other than the high price. I will try to get some photos later if anyone is interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.