Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
Well...this is and odd one.

My Powerbook 1.25 is making strange noises at me. These sound like a strange cross between a banshees wail and a lightsabre opening ( sorry this is the best I can do!!!! ). It lasts about 1 second, and is reasonably subtle.

In my opinion it sounds like a software sound ( as in a task completed etc. ) - BUT THERE IS NO CONTINUITY OF OPENED SOFTWARE THAT I CAN LINK IT TO. I think that I've had his sound with just the finder open.

This has been going on for about a year, but very sporadically.Sometime nothing for weeks at a time, sometimes, like this morning, five or six of these sounds in a row.

I'm pretty good with computers ( but no expert ) - and no, its not one of the system sounds. I don't have any unusual software - just the reg. Graphics packages etc. Could it be malware?

Is this a background proccess I'm unaware of, such as indexing? I don't think it was there under Panther.

Tis a mystery - and bugging me - please help!!!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
jbrown said:
Well...this is and odd one.

My Powerbook 1.25 is making strange noises at me. These sound like a strange cross between a banshees wail and a lightsabre opening ( sorry this is the best I can do!!!! ). It lasts about 1 second, and is reasonably subtle.

In my opinion it sounds like a software sound ( as in a task completed etc. ) - BUT THERE IS NO CONTINUITY OF OPENED SOFTWARE THAT I CAN LINK IT TO. I think that I've had his sound with just the finder open.

This has been going on for about a year, but very sporadically.Sometime nothing for weeks at a time, sometimes, like this morning, five or six of these sounds in a row.

I'm pretty good with computers ( but no expert ) - and no, its not one of the system sounds. I don't have any unusual software - just the reg. Graphics packages etc. Could it be malware?

Is this a background proccess I'm unaware of, such as indexing? I don't think it was there under Panther.

Tis a mystery - and bugging me - please help!!!

Can't help but you've posted this twice.

How could it have been going for a year if it wasn't there under Panther?

Tiger has system sounds that happen when you move an item, move and item to the trash, empty the trash and I think that's it.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Try muting the volume and see if you still hear it. If so, then it's probably a hardware sound rather than a software sound.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
London
I posted twice as it seems to fall between hardware / applications

certain its not a mechanical noise ( hard disk etc. )

Because it happens so infrequently, I'd have to have mute on 24/7 for months, which is not practical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.