Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1
stephenmeade
macrumors newbie

Apple Mail Suddenly Stopped Working

I have a regular POP3 account with my webhosting company and haven't received any email messages since Saturday morning. On Saturday, my iPad wouldn't download any messages either (it's setup as IMAP) but starting today it works. My iPhone (POP3) didn't work on Saturday or Sunday either, but as of noon today starting downloading new messages. I have my iPhone set to never delete messages from the server and Apple Mail to delete them whenever they are moved from my inbox.

Here's what Apple Mail does. It acts like it's going to download mail but fails out. I opened up the Activity Window and it hangs on "Preparing to retrieve messages..." But after a minute it stops. I enabled logging and this is what shows up in the console:

Quote:
[POPConnection fetchMessages:totalBytes:] failed: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=54 "The attempt to send data to the server (null) failed." UserInfo=0x7fe2f7810e50 {NSLocalizedDescription=The attempt to send data to the server (null) failed.}
stephenmeade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:58 PM   #2
ConCat
Banned

You might want to try re-adding the account to mail. It shouldn't have (nulll) for the server.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:03 PM   #3
stephenmeade
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
You might want to try re-adding the account to mail. It shouldn't have (nulll) for the server.
Is there a way to do this without deleting everything in my inbox? I thought that was weird, too. What's strange, though, is that Connection Doctor says everything is hunky-dory.
stephenmeade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:08 PM   #4
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmeade View Post
Is there a way to do this without deleting everything in my inbox? I thought that was weird, too. What's strange, though, is that Connection Doctor says everything is hunky-dory.
It may not be possible, I'm not completely sure. You could try going into its configuration and verifying the server info is correct. It should be assuming you didn't go in and change anything, but who knows.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion