Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil.Edward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hey there I'm a college student i recently got a macbook i need some recommended apps.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey there I'm a college student i recently got a macbook i need some recommended apps.
It's more useful if you start by determining what you want to accomplish, as there are countless apps out there for a myriad of purposes. It doesn't make sense to download an app unless you have a purpose for it.

The "Need application suggestions? Look here:" section of the following link contains a number of resources for app recommendations, as there are dozens of threads on this, easily found by searching the forum.

This may be useful:

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
As a college senior, I can honestly say the very best application you can have... is already on your computer.

iCal.

Just use it. Keep a schedule, lay out the times when your classes happen, when special events happen, keep it updated and stick to it and you'll always be able to visually check what's going on in your life week by week.

You're gonna be pretty busy juggling a lot of things in college. iCal will keep you organized. Plus, you can sync it with your iPod Touch or iPhone.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Congratulations on your new MacBook. GGJstudios offered good advice and if you specify what you intend to do with your Mac, people can give specific recommendations. Also this topic tends to be asked a few times a week on MacRumors, so it is worth using the search facility to see some of the responses on the other threads.

Here are some of my favourite productivity Apps that I use on a regular basis, and should be useful to you.

1Password (Password, Form filling and Identity manager)

PDFPen (90% of the functionality of Adobe Acrobat at a fraction of the cost)

Alfred (App Launcher)

Dropbox (Cloud based document storage and sync App)

Textexpander (expands keyboard shortcuts into frequently-used text and pictures)

Skitch (Screen Capture and annotation)

Evernote (notes, sync files , save webpages, and share your ideas with friends and colleagues.)

DragonDrop (Utility to make moving files between folders much easier)

Moom (Tame those OS X Application windows)

Tweetbot (Twitter Client)

OmniFocus (Task Manager)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.