Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lakelife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
I would like to use the flat panel on an iMAC(Powermac 6,3) as a monitor for my Mac mini1,1 that will be without a monitor for a limited time.
I prefer to link both computers via Firewire and NOT through ethernet LAN.
Can this be done through "screen sharing"? Or through "Firewire Target mode?

cjgonzales1900

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
I would like to use the flat panel on an iMAC(Powermac 6,3) as a monitor for my Mac mini1,1 that will be without a monitor for a limited time.
I prefer to link both computers via Firewire and NOT through ethernet LAN.
Can this be done through "screen sharing"? Or through "Firewire Target mode?

You can do it thru Firewire target disk mode, but the computer your connecting it to would only see it as a external hard drive so technically it wouldn't be using it as a Display.

Lakelife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
You can do it thru Firewire target disk mode, but the computer your connecting it to would only see it as a external hard drive so technically it wouldn't be using it as a Display.
Thanks, but I guess that would not help me to run the iMAC as a display for and from the monitor-less Mac mini. Correct?

Lakelife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Looks like using Target Mode is a no-go.
I have not quite yet digested all the info given in the link but it appears that it is designed to run (or monitor) one (client) computer from another (administrator) computer. And perhaps it may require that both have a display.

What else is available to just use the built in screen on the iMAC as a display for another computer (Mac mini)??

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

You can use screen sharing if they're networked, but I don't think Firewire is supported in this way anymore.

What's your objection to using ethernet or WiFi?

Lakelife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
What's your objection to using ethernet or WiFi?
No WiFi for the iMAC. :mad:
I could try to set up a LAN for the two using ethernet connections again, but what would I gain? I have tried using "screen share" but it only lets me see what is displayed on the iMAC not what I am doing on the mini. I am not trying to control the iMAC from the mini (or vice versa) - just trying to use its display. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.