Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Fed
macrumors 6502

Ripping BluRay with Samsung SE-506AB

The Samsung SE-506AB has just arrived and as such I'd like to backup my BluRay collection. Unfortunately my work laptop is very low performance, so I don't expect much ripping to be done in work today. However nonetheless, I'd like to know how BluRays are ripped on Windows PCs.

As I use Mac at home, I was led to believe that either Handbrake or MakeMKV would do the job. So I've installed Handbrake on my PC in work and just tried to rip the first BluRay to which it throws the error: 'Your source may be copy protected, badly mastered...'.

I assume the BluRay is plug and play, despite coming with a CD, so I haven't installed anything from it yet. Can anyone advice on how I rip BluRay on a Windows PC and if I will encounter the same Handbrake error on my Mac?

Update: Installed MakeMKV and it works out of the box. Excellent.

Last edited by Fed; Jan 15, 2013 at 04:53 AM.
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:05 AM   #2
SpinalTap
macrumors member

I use software from Pavtube for ripping Bluray/DVD's.

They offer Mac and PC alternatives.

http://www.pavtube.com
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:03 AM   #3
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
The Samsung SE-506AB has just arrived and as such I'd like to backup my BluRay collection. Unfortunately my work laptop is very low performance, so I don't expect much ripping to be done in work today. However nonetheless, I'd like to know how BluRays are ripped on Windows PCs.

As I use Mac at home, I was led to believe that either Handbrake or MakeMKV would do the job. So I've installed Handbrake on my PC in work and just tried to rip the first BluRay to which it throws the error: 'Your source may be copy protected, badly mastered...'.

I assume the BluRay is plug and play, despite coming with a CD, so I haven't installed anything from it yet. Can anyone advice on how I rip BluRay on a Windows PC and if I will encounter the same Handbrake error on my Mac?

Update: Installed MakeMKV and it works out of the box. Excellent.
IMO, MakeMKV is the product to use. If you need to convert mkv to mp4, use HB. And...it's all supported by donation, not fee.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Onewheelnick
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
was led to believe that either Handbrake or MakeMKV would do the job.
My workflow uses MakeMKV AND Handbrake. Maybe that's what you were hearing.

1 -Use MakeMKV to rip the blu-ray to a huge MKV file.

2 - Use Handbrake (AppleTV preset) to convert the MKV to a file you can put in your iTunes library and view on AppleTV.

On my Mac Mini, step one takes about 30 minutes. Step 2 takes around 10 hours. But it's with it.

Also, you can use the queue feature in Handbrake to make two files. One HD for AppleTV and one SD to load onto the ipad.
Onewheelnick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Fed
macrumors 6502

Excellent - thanks for the replies, people. Many thanks
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:58 PM   #6
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewheelnick View Post
My workflow uses MakeMKV AND Handbrake. Maybe that's what you were hearing.

1 -Use MakeMKV to rip the blu-ray to a huge MKV file.

2 - Use Handbrake (AppleTV preset) to convert the MKV to a file you can put in your iTunes library and view on AppleTV.

On my Mac Mini, step one takes about 30 minutes. Step 2 takes around 10 hours. But it's with it.

Also, you can use the queue feature in Handbrake to make two files. One HD for AppleTV and one SD to load onto the ipad.
Great reply.
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater