Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1
filmbufs
macrumors member

Starting an iMovie project

Hello all,
I'm getting ready to start a huge project containing several individual movies (using still photos from a vacation) that I will eventually put into iDVD. I'm hoping I could receive some advice before I begin that will make life easier.

- What size would you recommend the still photos be to view on a 16:9 HD TV?
(My photos are currently hi-rez 300dpi 18"x24" stills. I will export the resized photos in Lightroom 4.)

- Is there a recommended color space setting? I have options of sRGB or AdobeRGB(1998)

- Once I resize the images, should I save to and work from an external HD only?

- I use iPhoto to 'organize' my photos before exporting to iMovie. This creates a semi-timeline for ease of use. I haven't tried organizing my photos into an order in LR4 so I don't know if that's an option.

- From iMovie HD, I would appreciate any recommended export settings for iDVD. Any pros/cons suggestions are a bonus too.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
filmbufs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
What size would you recommend the still photos be to view on a 16:9 HD TV?
Just use full size. DVD resolution is only 720 x 576/480 anyway so you will lose some quality.

Quote:
Is there a recommended color space setting? I have options of sRGB or AdobeRGB(1998)
Sorry,don't know. It's never bothered me I'm afraid.

Quote:
in LR4 so I don't know if that's an option.
Sorry, don't use it.

Quote:
From iMovie HD, I would appreciate any recommended export settings for iDVD.
There aren't any if you are using the Share menu to send to iDVD.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:06 AM   #3
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Before you start. Make sure you got enough Hard drive space. An external h/drive would be your option to bring all your footage in.
Have a look in YouTube regards all your questions and iMovie help section so you understand what you are doing will help you.
iMovie is a straight forward software. Good luck with your project. Plus you have plenty of information at your finger tips.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:24 PM   #4
filmbufs
macrumors member

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll use an external hd to store the media and, I suppose, to store the completed files too.

I never thought to look at Youtube for information, good suggestion. I've used imovie before but have always jumped right in without thinking about optimal input/output before.

Any other advice that made your project better would be appreciated.
filmbufs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:22 PM   #5
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Learn the software. Play around with video footage trying things which are foreign to you in Imovie.
Also try and understand some editing techniques, what to cut etc,
Plus have fun and be ready to be foxed at times when things go wrong.
I tell you these computers can play games with you. Always talk nice to your computer it helps
Have fun and keep us posted how you are getting on?
Any trouble check the help section first and then the forum.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Learn the software.
Yes. Take the time(not many do) and work through the iMovie Help. Most of what you'll want to do is explained in there.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:52 PM   #7
mtngoatjoe
macrumors regular

I'm not sure I would bother sending the project to iDVD because iDVD doesn't support HD video. Of course if you want the menus and such, then you need iDVD. I like the menus, but because of the quality, I'd export the video as an MP4 and use an AppleTV to view it in glorious HD. For portability, you could then save the file to your iPhone or iPad and use Apple's HDTV cable (or the SD cable if you want to watch it at Grandma's house). Just a thought.
mtngoatjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video