iMessage Question - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:25 AM   #1
ongharry1014
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
iMessage Question

Hey Guys

I was playing around with iMessage today with a buddy and both of us don't quite understand the logic with iMessage/SMS. So I am hoping someone from this forum can answer our question.

So here is what happened. iMessage sends through wifi when we both have a connection to the internet. However, when one of us disconnects from internet, the iPhone with the internet still sends as iMessage to the disconnected phone. Now I would think that the iPhone with the internet should automatically detect the status of the disconnected phone and sends as sms. This is what puzzled me.

Hence my question is, is this the way iMessage is designed or is this a bug? What if I am in a scenario where my friend gets disconnected from the internet but urgently needs my message? Lets assume that for some reason he can't pick up the phone but only can receive my text message.
ongharry1014 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:32 AM   #2
madsci954
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
iMessage works over cellular data and WiFi, as long as one is in place, the iMessage will still go through. But if you're in doubt, after you send your iMessage text, tap and hold it and there will be an option to send it as a regular text message.
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:37 AM   #3
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rockland/Manhattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
iMessage works over cellular data and WiFi, as long as one is in place, the iMessage will still go through. But if you're in doubt, after you send your iMessage text, tap and hold it and there will be an option to send it as a regular text message.
interesting tip.. I didn't even know you could do that
pnoyblazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:46 AM   #4
FSMBP
macrumors 68020
 
FSMBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongharry1014 View Post
Hey Guys

I was playing around with iMessage today with a buddy and both of us don't quite understand the logic with iMessage/SMS. So I am hoping someone from this forum can answer our question.

So here is what happened. iMessage sends through wifi when we both have a connection to the internet. However, when one of us disconnects from internet, the iPhone with the internet still sends as iMessage to the disconnected phone. Now I would think that the iPhone with the internet should automatically detect the status of the disconnected phone and sends as sms. This is what puzzled me.

Hence my question is, is this the way iMessage is designed or is this a bug? What if I am in a scenario where my friend gets disconnected from the internet but urgently needs my message? Lets assume that for some reason he can't pick up the phone but only can receive my text message.
The iPhone only periodically checks the iMessage status of number that you're texting in iOS 6. I think it checks once a day whenever you text that person. So, whatever the status is then, your iPhone will send either iMessages or SMS accordingly for the rest of the day.
__________________
Still don't get why I can't save a PDF from an email on iPhone without some third-party app.
FSMBP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000
 
Confuzzzed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Liverpool, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
The iPhone only periodically checks the iMessage status of number that you're texting in iOS 6. I think it checks once a day whenever you text that person. So, whatever the status is then, your iPhone will send either iMessages or SMS accordingly for the rest of the day.
There you have it. I didn't know this and answers one of life's mysteries of ever changing green vs. blue messages. How quaint!
Confuzzzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Tyler23
macrumors 601
 
Tyler23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
The iPhone only periodically checks the iMessage status of number that you're texting in iOS 6. I think it checks once a day whenever you text that person. So, whatever the status is then, your iPhone will send either iMessages or SMS accordingly for the rest of the day.
That's not true. It's based on whether you have an Internet (wifi or data) connection or not. If you do, it sends as iMessage. If you don't, it sends as SMS. Hence why I can be out and about, sending iMessages. Then, lose data coverage and it switched to SMS, then a few minutes later regain data coverage and it immediately will switch back to iMessage.
Tyler23 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:18 AM   #7
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rockland/Manhattan
if your message is blue = iMessage
if your message is green = text
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:59 AM   #8
FSMBP
macrumors 68020
 
FSMBP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
That's not true. It's based on whether you have an Internet (wifi or data) connection or not. If you do, it sends as iMessage. If you don't, it sends as SMS. Hence why I can be out and about, sending iMessages. Then, lose data coverage and it switched to SMS, then a few minutes later regain data coverage and it immediately will switch back to iMessage.
What I said is true. And regarding what you said, I turned off Data/Wifi on my iPhone and when I attempt to message him, it tries to send an iMessage.

You're talking about the sender; I'm talking about the sendee.
__________________
Still don't get why I can't save a PDF from an email on iPhone without some third-party app.

Last edited by FSMBP; Jan 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM.
FSMBP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:50 AM   #9
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
iMessage is really well designed. It will still use iMessage over cellular, but if the recipient doesn't receive the message within a few minutes, your phone will resend it as an SMS.

Did you know that if you are both on wifi, pics get sent at full resolution? Apple really nailed iMessage down. It's today's BBM.
KoukiFC3S is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMessage Question galaxy7 iPhone 3 Jan 23, 2014 09:18 PM
iMessage Question Armen iOS 7 24 Dec 31, 2013 07:13 AM
iMessage question abz1981 iPhone 0 Aug 26, 2013 01:31 AM
Imessage question deejayscream Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jul 3, 2013 01:22 AM
Question about iMessage. iRobby OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 14 Aug 27, 2012 03:14 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC