Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttveldman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
When I was driving to work, and parked my car, i've noticed a can of monster energy leaked and some got onto my MBA.
First i I thought it was okay because nothing got insided and everything was working well. But after 10 minutes on the right side of the screen about 15% of the total screen was covered in grey and stripes. After that point i shutted it down and made it a bit dry again and reversed it, into a '' A'' position. What can I do, except by not turning it on for 1/2 days.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Stop drinking Monster - it's bad for your teeth!

It might make the MBA run faster!

----------

When I was driving to work, and parked my car, i've noticed a can of monster energy leaked and some got onto my MBA.
First i I thought it was okay because nothing got insided and everything was working well. But after 10 minutes on the right side of the screen about 15% of the total screen was covered in grey and stripes. After that point i shutted it down and made it a bit dry again and reversed it, into a '' A'' position. What can I do, except by not turning it on for 1/2 days.

I am afraid even if it dried out there is still residue from the drink that will be stuck on the innards.

If you are under warranty try talking to Apple nicely and see if they will replace the screen... or if your credit card has any accidental insurance for purchases.

You might have to actually open the internals and clean the logic board etc with a screen replacement. If you can do it by looking at iFixit great. Else have some qualified technician do it for you.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011

You're pretty much going to have to get a new one. Monster, red bull, and other drinks like that over time destroy the innards. You will have some operability for a while, but you won't get it cleaned up enough to save it. The reason I say this is because the main reason for computer repair/trashing on my campus is due to drinks like those being spilled on them.

I hope your case is different and I wish you luck, but I honestly think you will have to replace the computer.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Based on your description, it's a goner. If you bought it with a CC or have homeowners insurance one of those may cover accidental damage.
Hope you had it backed up.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
I have no experience with this, but (since it seems you don't have much to lose), you could dissect the computer part by part (ifixit style) and soak/scrub (gently, with your finger) everything down with mineral oil, and then reassemble it. If nothing else, it would be fun to take apart.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Thats a tough situation. I can't think of many things WORSE than a sugary, acidic, sticky Monster drink to destroy an Air.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

Eek, I'm sorry to hear that. Really is sad. Did you have a drink inside your computer bag? If so, that is a big no-no. ;)

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Sugar is the most horrible thing you can get into a computer, especially into the keyboard.

I once spilled beer onto my MBA, the keyboard became really sticky (beer has sugar??!?). Luckily I was within 14 days of the return period so I returned it. The sales rep did not smell the strong odor of alcohol.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Based on your description, it's a goner. If you bought it with a CC or have homeowners insurance one of those may cover accidental damage.
Hope you had it backed up.

Although if it can run, despite the screen mess, he can still back it up, which should be priority one. Then worry about seeing if it can be fixed.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Sugar is the most horrible thing you can get into a computer, especially into the keyboard.

I once spilled beer onto my MBA, the keyboard became really sticky (beer has sugar??!?). Luckily I was within 14 days of the return period so I returned it. The sales rep did not smell the strong odor of alcohol.

Nice way to saddle someone else with your mistake. Classy.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Nice way to saddle someone else with your mistake. Classy.

They don't track returns like that. There is little way to tell who took it or where and when the damage happened.

If they did track it like that, they would've charged the credit card I used to pay for it. The machine gets inspected and sold as refurbished, or thrown away like in this case.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
They don't track returns like that. There is little way to tell who took it or where and when the damage happened.

If they did track it like that, they would've charged the credit card I used to pay for it. The machine gets inspected and sold as refurbished, or thrown away like in this case.

You really don't get it? Even if Apple just threw it away, YOU ruined it. Why is it OK to have Apple carry the cost for your mistake?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
You really don't get it? Even if Apple just threw it away, YOU ruined it. Why is it OK to have Apple carry the cost for your mistake?

Do you really expect someone that is obviously happy about getting away with what is essentially theft to suddenly reconsider their position? Even if they did start to question their actions, there's no way that they're going to call up Apple and say, "oh and by the way, that computer I brought back...yeah I spilled beer on it and thought it would be ok to just not tell anyone about it. Why? Well, I figured Apple had enough money already and I felt entitled to a replacement."

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
I returned the macbook, its not my fault they took it back.

Its the salesrep's fault. And the fact that he was working there is his manager's fault. The fact that the manager was working there that lead him to hire the guy who accepted my macbook is the fault of someone in corporate. In the end it's apple's fault for being irresponsible enough to hire people who check what customers return.

If we want to play the blame game and all.

Last edited by a moderator:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I returned the macbook, its not my fault they took it back.

Its the salesrep's fault. And the fact that he was working there is his manager's fault. The fact that the manager was working there that lead him to hire the guy who accepted my macbook is the fault of someone in corporate. In the end it's apple's fault for being irresponsible enough to hire people who check what customers return.

If we want to play the blame game and all.

But once they find out, you will have ruined the return policy for everyone, including you.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
But once they find out, you will have ruined the return policy for everyone, including you.

Doubt it. None of the liquid got on the display. Those go for like $500, still more than it costs apple to produce that macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.