Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:46 AM   #1
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
The Today Show-Bruised Apple

The Today Show on NBC did a pretty deep story on Apple's decline and threw up an animation of a bruised apple with a down trending graph.

To me, this is noteworthy because it is becoming a big story on major news networks. We're no longer talking about BGR and blog reports...this is NBC. And if you hate NBC, it's also all over CBS, ABC and Fox.

Just want to see what some of the reaction is to the story, here is the link.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...67218#50467218
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Apple.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	390446  
cardinalryan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
barkomatic
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manhattan
It was inevitable that the story would be picked up by the major networks. America loves stories of incredible success and devastating falls. However, the story has really been trumped up beyond anything reasonable.

Apple had to cut its parts orders because of lower than expected demand due to the comments of two unnamed sources. Yet, the iPhone 5 enjoyed considerable success when it was launched and still has very healthy sales. However, you'd think Apple was teetering on the brink of collapse and was about to go bankrupt and close all its stores next week according to some newscasts and analysis.
barkomatic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:55 AM   #3
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Welcome to one month ago, major networks!

By the way: why wasn't it major news and stock sell-off time when APple cut supply orders of the iPhone 4 around this time of the year?
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:56 AM   #4
tigres
macrumors 68040
 
tigres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
let's just wait until earnings.
__________________
Quicker than two shakes of a lambs tail
tigres is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:58 AM   #5
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
People aren't bored with Apple doom topics yet? It's getting tiring.
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:02 AM   #6
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816
 
willmtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Natural State
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
The Today Show on NBC did a pretty deep story on Apple's decline and threw up an animation of a bruised apple with a down trending graph.

To me, this is noteworthy because it is becoming a big story on major news networks. We're no longer talking about BGR and blog reports...this is NBC. And if you hate NBC, it's also all over CBS, ABC and Fox.

Just want to see what some of the reaction is to the story, here is the link.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...67218#50467218

Meh, people love to discuss Apple, so news outlets (blogs, tv, and newspapers alike) love to sensationalize such findings and be the first to call "first" b/c Apple gets people's attention and drives ad revenue.

For me, the more interesting observation was MG Seigler's:
Microsoft Surface Estimate Cut In Half
__________________
"Each of us knows it all, and knows he knows it all--the rest, to a man, are fools and deluded." -Mark Twain
willmtaylor is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:05 AM   #7
cardinalryan
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
People aren't bored with Apple doom topics yet? It's getting tiring.
I think it's quite fascinating. I'm not saying it's enjoyable because I don't like to see anybody fail, but it's only been 15 months since Steve Jobs' death and the company is reeling. Like it, or not, this is newsworthy and worthy of being talked about. You could be watching a historic collapse.
cardinalryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:08 AM   #8
corvus32
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Outside the bubble
With $100 billion in cash on hand, couldn't they just buy South Korea?
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB (Silver) | Apple TV (3rd Gen)
0_o
corvus32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:12 AM   #9
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816
 
willmtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Natural State
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
I think it's quite fascinating. I'm not saying it's enjoyable because I don't like to see anybody fail, but it's only been 15 months since Steve Jobs' death and the company is reeling. Like it, or not, this is newsworthy and worthy of being talked about. You could be watching a historic collapse.
"The company is reeling"? How exactly is that the case, again? What factual evidence to you have to support your claim? And please, please, don't cite that 1 graph of Apple's stock price from NBC as your only fact.

Edit: Also, do me a favor. Go to Google and check out their stock ticker. Do a search for Apple, and then check out the 5-year view. Now, I'm not naive enough to cklaim past success is any guarantee for the future, but news outlets and Apple nay-Sayers LOVE to cherry-pick stock prices. They have for years.
__________________
"Each of us knows it all, and knows he knows it all--the rest, to a man, are fools and deluded." -Mark Twain
willmtaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:20 AM   #10
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a
 
CrickettGrrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: B'more or Less
Thank you for reminding me why I no longer watch national network news. Seems like they're getting even more sensationalistic, unprofessional & tabloid-like out of desperation for viewers.

And entities are always trying to short Apple.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:30 AM   #11
chambone
macrumors 6502a
 
chambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
Apple's decline
wishful thinking is wishful
chambone is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #12
cardinalryan
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambone View Post
wishful thinking is wishful
Wishful thinking? I believe I stated that I don't want to see anyone fail.

Apple is cash rich right now, which is great for the company, but it doesn't take long to deplete a surplus. If you rest on your laurels, you will lose market share and ultimately lose the surplus.

The iPhone 5 was a horrible start to the post-Steve Jobs era. Say whatever you want, but it was a lazy effort that set the phone back instead of moving it forward.

People confuse facts with cheering for the company's failure.
cardinalryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:55 AM   #13
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
Wishful thinking? I believe I stated that I don't want to see anyone fail.

Apple is cash rich right now, which is great for the company, but it doesn't take long to deplete a surplus. If you rest on your laurels, you will lose market share and ultimately lose the surplus.

The iPhone 5 was a horrible start to the post-Steve Jobs era. Say whatever you want, but it was a lazy effort that set the phone back instead of moving it forward.

People confuse facts with cheering for the company's failure.
What's exactly lazy about the iPhone?
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:03 PM   #14
eawmp1
macrumors 601
 
eawmp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: FL
The only bruised apples on the Today show are Kathy Lee's and Hoda's after falling from their on air drinking binges.

Nothing to see here, though Apple bashing is mainstream this week.
eawmp1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:05 PM   #15
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
People aren't bored with Apple doom topics yet? It's getting tiring.
Apparently we're not. Just like we're not bored with the misuse of the hyphen in thread titles!
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:06 PM   #16
skottichan
macrumors 6502a
 
skottichan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
Wishful thinking? I believe I stated that I don't want to see anyone fail.

Apple is cash rich right now, which is great for the company, but it doesn't take long to deplete a surplus. If you rest on your laurels, you will lose market share and ultimately lose the surplus.

The iPhone 5 was a horrible start to the post-Steve Jobs era. Say whatever you want, but it was a lazy effort that set the phone back instead of moving it forward.

People confuse facts with cheering for the company's failure.
I'm not sure how the iPhone 5 was a set back, since it helped Apple capture 53% of smartphone sales in the launch quarter, which I believe was the best numbers to date.
skottichan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:08 PM   #17
chambone
macrumors 6502a
 
chambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
Wishful thinking? I believe I stated that I don't want to see anyone fail.

Apple is cash rich right now, which is great for the company, but it doesn't take long to deplete a surplus. If you rest on your laurels, you will lose market share and ultimately lose the surplus.

The iPhone 5 was a horrible start to the post-Steve Jobs era. Say whatever you want, but it was a lazy effort that set the phone back instead of moving it forward.

People confuse facts with cheering for the company's failure.
I was a bit quick with that - sorry. I have to disagree with you though that the 5 being a lazy effort has anything to do with facts. People who say it's only slightly different to the 4/4S are either blind, dumb or trolling. It's not that Apple's too lazy to make a phone equipped with a 4.8" screen and every gimmick bolted on, they just choose not to. For whatever reasons. It just doesn't fit their philosophy I suppose.

With that said I must admit that I purchased a 4S over the 5. Based on size more or less.
chambone is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:09 PM   #18
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816
 
willmtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Natural State
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
The iPhone 5 was a horrible start to the post-Steve Jobs era. Say whatever you want, but it was a lazy effort that set the phone back instead of moving it forward.

People confuse facts with cheering for the company's failure.
I chuckled to myself as I looked at your two statements above which you so conveniently (for me) placed next to one another.

...so how exactly is the "post-Steve Jobs era" off to a bad start, again? Because you asked for facts, shouldn't you be providing them as well?
__________________
"Each of us knows it all, and knows he knows it all--the rest, to a man, are fools and deluded." -Mark Twain
willmtaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:29 PM   #19
cardinalryan
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post
I chuckled to myself as I looked at your two statements above which you so conveniently (for me) placed next to one another.

...so how exactly is the "post-Steve Jobs era" off to a bad start, again? Because you asked for facts, shouldn't you be providing them as well?
The iPhone 5 is a wonderful example of Apple getting off to a bad start. The iPad Mini with a garbage screen is another example.

Don't confuse launch sales with long term success because the two are not the same.

I totally understand that the iPad mini has sold well and that the iPhone, initially, sold very well. However, that's not the point...the point is that a significant number of people have not been satisfied with their purchases of these products and it's becoming apparent that there are better choices out there.

You want numbers to back that up? Here, check this link. It's pretty clear that iPhone has fallen from its perch atop the smartphone market.

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/samsung-...ones-each-day/
cardinalryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:52 PM   #20
Rogifan
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
To the OP: what's the point of this thread other than a vehicle for you to bash Apple? I'm sorry but anyone that says the iPad mini screen is "garbage" is not to be taken seriously. Just because a screen isn't retina doesn't mean it's garbage.
Rogifan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:57 PM   #21
Carlanga
macrumors 601
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
meh "news networks" looking for hot "news" now that the election is over.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:19 PM   #22
tech4all
macrumors 68040
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
I personally hope the demand for Apple products do go down. It'll be a wake up call for Apple to step it up some. Having the on your product only goes so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Welcome to one month ago, major networks!

By the way: why wasn't it major news and stock sell-off time when APple cut supply orders of the iPhone 4 around this time of the year?
The reduction in iPhone parts? More like this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
People aren't bored with Apple doom topics yet? It's getting tiring.
Would it help if it were an "Apple is great" topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
To the OP: what's the point of this thread other than a vehicle for you to bash Apple? I'm sorry but anyone that says the iPad mini screen is "garbage" is not to be taken seriously. Just because a screen isn't retina doesn't mean it's garbage.
Oh really? Tell that to all the retina-loving folks. They swear by the retina display. You read all the time on here.

The screen isn't "garbage" but it is inferior to other products such as the Nexus 7. The N7 has double or so the resolution. The specs of the iPad mini are inferior to the N7. Bottom line. Not saying it's a bad product, but it isn't worth $330 when you can get a better product for over $100 less.
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:39 PM   #23
Rogifan
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
The screen isn't "garbage" but it is inferior to other products such as the Nexus 7. The N7 has double or so the resolution. The specs of the iPad mini are inferior to the N7. Bottom line. Not saying it's a bad product, but it isn't worth $330 when you can get a better product for over $100 less.
That's your opinion. The millions who bought a mini I'm guessing would disagree with you. Obviously to them it's worth it otherwise they would have bought something else instead. It's not like Apple out a gun to their heads forcing them to buy one. And I'm guessing to them "better" isn't defined by specs.

And yes I'm fully aware of the display snobs around here. All my Apple products are retina and I could never go back to non-retina. But I'd never come here saying the mini is garbage or knock people who own it and like it.
Rogifan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:01 AM   #24
willmtaylor
macrumors 65816
 
willmtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Natural State
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post
The iPhone 5 is a wonderful example of Apple getting off to a bad start. The iPad Mini with a garbage screen is another example.

Don't confuse launch sales with long term success because the two are not the same.

I totally understand that the iPad mini has sold well and that the iPhone, initially, sold very well. However, that's not the point...the point is that a significant number of people have not been satisfied with their purchases of these products and it's becoming apparent that there are better choices out there.

You want numbers to back that up? Here, check this link. It's pretty clear that iPhone has fallen from its perch atop the smartphone market.

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/samsung-...ones-each-day/

This thread has turned out just to be an echo of similar threads, with the exception being the hollowness and ineptitude of your arguments. Your loaded and inflammatory language backed by nothing isn't worth my time or engagement.

Have fun with that.
__________________
"Each of us knows it all, and knows he knows it all--the rest, to a man, are fools and deluded." -Mark Twain
willmtaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:47 AM   #25
chrono1081
macrumors 604
 
chrono1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isla Nublar
Seeing how as Apple makes the most successful consumer electronics out there I have to question the journalistic integrity of anyone who talks about the "decline of Apple".
__________________
Mac Pro (2010): 3.33Ghz Intel Xeon (6 core) - 24 GB RAM - NVidia Quadro k5000
Macbook Air (2010): 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM
chrono1081 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bruised/fractured rib rockyroad55 Community Discussion 23 Dec 8, 2013 08:44 AM
Help! My Reminders & Weather Doesn't Show up in 'Today' View? VideoNewbie iOS 7 2 Sep 22, 2013 11:14 AM
Does Today view in NC show location for calendar events? SJism23 iOS 7 2 Sep 9, 2013 11:09 PM
Commute to show in today view bicape iOS 7 21 Jul 24, 2013 06:06 PM
Apple live streaming today’s iPad mini event on the Apple TV Scott2345 iPad 1 Oct 23, 2012 06:40 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC