Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

View Poll Results: What's the greatest sports rivalry?
NYY-Boston Red Sox 12 27.27%
LAD/Brooklyn Dodgers-SF Giants/NY Giants 0 0%
Dallas Cowboys-Washington Redskins 6 13.64%
LA Lakers-Boston Celtics (1980s) 3 6.82%
Serena Williams-Venus Williams 0 0%
Palmer-Nicklaus 0 0%
Ohio State football-Michigan football 6 13.64%
Stanford football-Cal football 0 0%
Pacquaio-Marquez 1 2.27%
other - please state 16 36.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:01 PM   #1
63dot
macrumors 601

What's the greatest sports rivalry you remember?

I have been around forever compared to most posters here, or even on the net in general and I tend to be more sentimental on old stuff, but what sports rivalries are your greatest?

I know there's a lot of newer stuff that hasn't had to stand the test of history but are no less important. When I meet my old buddies, it's always about Magic Johnson and his Lakers, or Joe Montana and his 49ers, or Muhammad Ali, or how New York stole the A's Reggie Jackson and Coach/manager Billy Martin.

While I almost put the Giants-Dodgers, I don't think there's anything I have seen in my life as exciting as Bird vs. Magic. To see them both on the dream team was beyond description.

I put in 10 options but could have put a lot more. A lot of the options make top 10 lists but then there are a lot of top 10 things, especially heated college rivalries, that I didn't put here. Honorable mention for me is:

Ali-Frazier,
Patriots vs Giants,
UCLA-USC in almost anything,
and 49ers-Cowboys

What made me put in Pacauaio-Marquez over Ali-Frazier is the closeness of the Pacqauio-Marquez fights and some say controversy in splitting hairs which makes for a great rivalry.

Had Eli Manning and the NY Giants actually made it to postseason this year, and the Giants and Pats squared off (yet again) in the upcoming Super Bowl, then they would be right at the top of my list.

With UCLA and USC, there are just so many sports both schools are great at (UCLA holding more titles than any school in the nation) that I can't do it justice here. There's a perceived middle class student at UCLA vs. rich student at USC rivalry that southern California people all know about similar to a socio-economic divide between Cal and Stanford.

And finally the 1990s wasn't complete, and utterly frustrating to a 49ers fan like me without the Cowboys besting the 49ers two out of three times in the NFC championship that many considered the real Super Bowls of the '92, '93, and '94 seasons. Dallas would go on to win both the 1992 and 1993 season Super Bowls and the 49ers took home the 1994 season Super Bowl.

Last edited by 63dot; Jan 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:04 PM   #2
stevenlangley1
macrumors regular

Florida State vs. Florida in the 90s. That rivalry made for some fantastic games.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3
fireshot91
macrumors 601

As a 'Skins fan, Redskins-Cowboys (We always come first ).

But, as a sports fan, I'd have to say Yankees/RedSox.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:16 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral

The Detroit Red Wings and Colorado Avalanche in the late 1990's.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Glasgow Rangers verses Celtic in trumps all those above. Perhaps you should have said in the US?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:28 PM   #6
dukebound85
macrumors P6

No Duke-UNC bball?

No Nebraska-Oklahoma fball?

No UK-Louisville bball?

No UGA-Florida fball?

No Auburn-Alabama fball?

No Broncos-Raiders?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:29 PM   #7
JoeRito
macrumors 6502

Boston Celtics vs. Phila Sixers in NBA, 1980s. It was better than Celtics-Lakers for those who really remember 1980s NBA.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

New York Yankees - Boston Red Sox

/Thread
Moyank24 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Peace
macrumors P6

I see nobody remembers Oklahoma-Texas college football.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:37 PM   #10
zioxide
macrumors 603

Boston Bruins vs Montreal Canadiens

They have met in the postseason 33 times. Always a blood bath, going all the way back to 1924.

Lakers and Celtics is always great too. 33? championships between those two franchises.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:46 PM   #11
snberk103
macrumors 603

Ahh... you mean the greatest American sports rivalry....

That lets out the Leafs vs the Canadiens
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

I've been told on a number of occasions that the greatest rivalry in sport – or indeed, greatest rivalry full stop – is the Hull Derby between Hull KR and Hull FC. It's a veritable rugbygeddon.

No, me neither.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Glasgow Rangers verses Celtic in trumps all those above...
That's what I was thinking too. But it wasn't really about sport, or even the players for that matter. The football matches were just convenient venues for religious sectarianism amongst the "fans". Ugly stuff.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:10 PM   #14
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Manchester United -Liverpool?
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:46 PM   #15
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Boston Bruins vs Montreal Canadiens

They have met in the postseason 33 times. Always a blood bath, going all the way back to 1924.

YouTube: video

Lakers and Celtics is always great too. 33? championships between those two franchises.
We all know the Celtics and the Patriots out west here, but you showed me that Boston's best team are the Bruins. I had not idea, since what hockey I saw was after their most dominant years. But anyway congrats on rather recent Stanley Cup title. Bruins met one team in postseason that many times? That's amazing and there must be some bad blood there.

I have to look back and see how many times LAD and SF Giants went for postseason and had to get past the other to achieve #1 in NL west. They gave us a good scare with Kershaw in 2012 and personally I didn't think we could get past LA in the standings. Next year will be a scary one and if it's true we lost closer Wilson, then things are not looking good.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:44 AM   #16
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
No Duke-UNC bball?

No Nebraska-Oklahoma fball?

No UK-Louisville bball?

No UGA-Florida fball?

No Auburn-Alabama fball?

No Broncos-Raiders?
I could have made a thread just on that, too and college rivalries can be more fun. You can have a great coach but not being able to keep a player more than four years can create some upsets. USF was a totally hot team but then again they had the help of one Bill Russell. At least if this was a pro team, they could keep a top player for much longer.

That being said, nothing in the world explains the UCLA college basketball run a couple of generations ago (using many different players with different styles) and that highlight will basically remain unchallenged in American sports, forever along with maybe a few other things (100 point Wilt game, Ichiro going 200+ hits for ten years in a row, and Pablo Sandoval/Reggie Jackson three homers in a single World Series game). Somehow though, UCLA going 10 titles in 12 years, will be the gold standard of American sports dynasties. I can't recall but there's a Spanish soccer team/club that has a better winning percentage along a long period of time that bests that in scope and there may be other international dynasties out there who are better than UCLA's college basketball dynasty in the numbers.

Anyway,
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...istory/page/11

Last edited by 63dot; Jan 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:05 PM   #17
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

I'd say for me personally in terms of teams I cheer for

49ers/Cowboys......this basically defined the early 90s Super Bowl winner
Lakers/Celtics both late 80s and in the late part of last decade

As far as teams I don't have a rooting interest in, but still looks like a fierce rivalry

Florida/FSU
Ohio State/Michigan
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:06 PM   #18
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Glasgow Rangers verses Celtic in trumps all those above. Perhaps you should have said in the US?
Yes, this exact example is what occurred to me, too. Perhaps the OP should modify the thread title to 'sports rivalry' in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
That's what I was thinking too. But it wasn't really about sport, or even the players for that matter. The football matches were just convenient venues for religious sectarianism amongst the "fans". Ugly stuff.
Others come to mind, too, made more deeply felt (i.e. controversial and brimful of passion) by prior political encounters. Sometimes, sports serves as a sort of short-hand for other rivalries which cannot be expressed fully in any other way.

So, a few examples, all of them from Europe, and all of them coming complete, crammed with the dappling shadows cast by political frustrations, memories, and deeply embedded (unsolved) problems. Who says the past doesn't matter? Here we go, then:

1) Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers (as has already been mentioned). Venomous, at its most intense - death threats to some players and vicious insults.

2) Barcalona versus Real Madrid. (The Spanish Civil War offers some clues, as does its aftermath, as to why this should rivalry should be so deeply felt. And so enduring).

3) The excellent sports writer (cultural, socio-political writer, too), Simon Kuyper, in his splendid book, 'Football Against The Enemy' (the title tells it all, but the book is extremely good) offers, in his first chapter an excellent analysis of the rivalry between (West) Germany versus Holland. Well worth reading, and very well written. (Hint: WW2 offers some explanation as to why some feelings were rather intense).

4) Try Poland versus the USSR in the 1980s. (Hint: The appearance of Solidarity and the imposition of Martial Law in Poland in 1981 gave these games a peculiar frisson).

There are many, many, more.......
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:08 PM   #19
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I was going to say this.

I'm a Spurs fan so Spurs vs Arsenal is always a big game for me but Rangers vs Celtic is something else.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:12 PM   #20
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

Another vote for Rangers V Celtic.

But Rugby has some crackers - Scotland v England or Wales V England. There's also Old World v New World.
jeremy h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:22 PM   #21
eric/

There are many college sports rivalries, but really nothing tops Ohio State - Michigan as an overall rivalry. It's tough to quantify such things, but there is so much history behind this one that it's been pretty much the consensus top rivalry in not just college football, but in all of sports. And those aren't my words specifically. The rivalry has died down quite a bit lately with Michigan sucking, but it appears to be picking back up.

That being said, one of the bigger rivalries the past few years, at least for Ohio, has been against Wisconsin. Basketball and football.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:35 PM   #22
snberk103
macrumors 603

The Boat Race....
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:26 PM   #23
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
There are many college sports rivalries, but really nothing tops Ohio State - Michigan as an overall rivalry. It's tough to quantify such things, but there is so much history behind this one that it's been pretty much the consensus top rivalry in not just college football, but in all of sports. And those aren't my words specifically. The rivalry has died down quite a bit lately with Michigan sucking, but it appears to be picking back up.

That being said, one of the bigger rivalries the past few years, at least for Ohio, has been against Wisconsin. Basketball and football.
I agree with that one. While locally we love our Stanford-Cal football rivalry, it's mostly a "fun" thing. Neither team is usually that great year after year though we have had some good teams but usually notable individuals. But with Ohio State and Michigan, those two teams annually put up such great teams and players destined for the pros.

We could get a great guy like Elway from Stanford or some great Cal guys but then we will hear about them for decades. But an Ohio State or Michigan comes out with future HoF players every single year and those schools are in the elite football schools who are defacto NFL player factories. Even though there could be years when Stanford and Cal are devoid of serious talent, the big game between the two is just as eventful but you have to be around here to hear about it. I know there are so many better college rivalries but it's all we have to hang onto some years in our sports papers when Raiders, Niners, Giants, A's, Warriors, or Sharks are not in contention for something.

Sometimes it's not even how good your college team in the bay area has done that is remembered but if you beat your regional rival.

We also have every lame excuse in the book. If a Stanford or Cal loses to a school much more noted for football heroes, we say, "Well at least we are a better school academically". And when Stanford loses to Cal they always say, "It's because our football players have to go to class and aren't given a pass like Cal players who often don't have real professors (but undergrad TA's) teaching their classes in the first place. I just don't think we could ever grow to a level of an Ohio State-Michgan, red-blue rivalry. We will have our own red-blue thing with Stanford and Cal and make do.

Last edited by 63dot; Jan 16, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:42 PM   #24
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
.... but really nothing tops Ohio State - Michigan as an overall rivalry. ... it's been pretty much the consensus top rivalry in not just college football, but in all of sports. ....
[Emphasis Added]. Sorry, but which sport is this universally acclaimed rivalry?

Last edited by snberk103; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
snberk103 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:30 PM   #25
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshot91 View Post
As a 'Skins fan, Redskins-Cowboys (We always come first ).

But, as a sports fan, I'd have to say Yankees/RedSox.
Ha beat me to it, but this is coming from a Cowboys fan.... how is that fight song by the way?

And being a Yankee fan... love that rivalry!

Last edited by rhett7660; Jan 16, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
rhett7660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion