Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jul 24, 2014, 02:22 PM   #1
RoboWarriorSr
macrumors 6502

Converting old Mac into "dropbox" server for iOS and desktop devices

I know currently one can convert an old Mac into a server relatively easily but is there is there a way to make a server usable on iOS devices like dropbox? Or is the better option buying hardware that has this feature built-in like some of the Synergy equipment?
RoboWarriorSr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:32 AM   #2
sevoneone
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboWarriorSr View Post
I know currently one can convert an old Mac into a server relatively easily but is there is there a way to make a server usable on iOS devices like dropbox? Or is the better option buying hardware that has this feature built-in like some of the Synergy equipment?
You can use WebDAV, which has support in the iWork apps on iOS. Setting it up used to be tricky, but I have not used it in awhile. Also, if your ISP is blocking port 80 outbound this won't work for you.

Option two is to setup a regular file/FTP server and use a good file management app on your iPad to transfer files back and forth. I really like a free app called Documents by Readdle for this. It does not support AFP unfortunately, but it does support FTP, SFTP and SMB. A lot of ISPs block the ports for SMB both inbound and outbound though, so S/FTP is really the only choices.
sevoneone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:33 AM   #3
RoboWarriorSr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevoneone View Post
You can use WebDAV, which has support in the iWork apps on iOS. Setting it up used to be tricky, but I have not used it in awhile. Also, if your ISP is blocking port 80 outbound this won't work for you.

Option two is to setup a regular file/FTP server and use a good file management app on your iPad to transfer files back and forth. I really like a free app called Documents by Readdle for this. It does not support AFP unfortunately, but it does support FTP, SFTP and SMB. A lot of ISPs block the ports for SMB both inbound and outbound though, so S/FTP is really the only choices.

Okay thanks I'll try these
RoboWarriorSr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:36 PM   #4
960design
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboWarriorSr View Post
Running a webdav server for several years now. Here's a good starting place:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Apache-WebDAV-...OWTO/x383.html
Old Aug 19, 2014, 03:02 PM   #5
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

I love WebDAV. However, mine can only be accessed locally or over VPN for security. I also put a lot of security checks, audits, and logs in place to monitor stuff.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking