Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:11 PM   #1
Aztec
macrumors regular

I made a website and I'd love some feedback

Hey Macrumors,

I just recently launched my first website, http://www.thecurrency.org and I'd love to get some feedback from y'all. I also take care of the writing — so if you have comments on that too, don't hesitate to let it all out. I mostly cover Apple stuff, as well and tech and mobile.

Thanks in advance!
Aztec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 02:01 AM   #2
dan1eln1el5en
macrumors 6502

I don't look at design and content, just the HTML and errors etc. looks good, no errors or warnings.
only thing that you might want to declare the page as HTML5 instead of trasitional, but it all checks out well, nicely structured.
dan1eln1el5en is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 06:33 AM   #3
Aztec
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1eln1el5en View Post
I don't look at design and content, just the HTML and errors etc. looks good, no errors or warnings.
only thing that you might want to declare the page as HTML5 instead of trasitional, but it all checks out well, nicely structured.
Thanks! Didn't even think to check that...good thing you did for me.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:04 AM   #4
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Hey Aztec, looking good, but I'd maybe consider doing something like this to clarify where your posts are beginning and ending. At the moment, I don't think it's quite clear enough.

I've attached an image to suggest what I'd maybe do to make the articles more distinct. I just did it in Chrome dev tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 13.00.43.png
Views:	67
Size:	595.5 KB
ID:	536438  
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:43 AM   #5
Aztec
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
Hey Aztec, looking good, but I'd maybe consider doing something like this to clarify where your posts are beginning and ending. At the moment, I don't think it's quite clear enough.

I've attached an image to suggest what I'd maybe do to make the articles more distinct. I just did it in Chrome dev tools.
Wow thanks. I also thought the differentiation was a bit difficult to make, but couldn't quite find the right way to do it. Your suggestion looks great. Mind if I take inspiration from it?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:35 AM   #6
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
First of all, I •love•*the minimalism. Well done

I would suggest some changes to the links in the sidebar. In their current state, I don't know what they are. I wasn't even sure they were links. When I mouseover them, I have trouble reading the text. I'd suggest either shrinking the icons and pairing them with text or at least just using text.

Also, I'm not a fan of hyphenation at all. This may just be my old-school print designer talking, but it makes things more difficult to read.

Finally, the 'top' button that appears when you scroll down doesn't seem to match anything else on the site. That makes it very distracting. I'd suggest toning it down a little.

Overall, I like it.
SwiftLives is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 02:12 PM   #7
Aztec
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftLives View Post
First of all, I •love•*the minimalism. Well done

I would suggest some changes to the links in the sidebar. In their current state, I don't know what they are. I wasn't even sure they were links. When I mouseover them, I have trouble reading the text. I'd suggest either shrinking the icons and pairing them with text or at least just using text.

Also, I'm not a fan of hyphenation at all. This may just be my old-school print designer talking, but it makes things more difficult to read.

Finally, the 'top' button that appears when you scroll down doesn't seem to match anything else on the site. That makes it very distracting. I'd suggest toning it down a little.

Overall, I like it.
Great feedback. Thanks a bunch. I pretty much agree with everything you're saying. I'm working on a way to fix the sidebar, as well as the "scroll to top" animation, just haven't quite found the right thing yet.

Also, I'm a bit unclear as to what you mean by the hyphenation? Do you mean the use of hyphens in my phrasing?

Thanks again for the feedback, it's very much appreciated.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 03:32 PM   #8
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Wow thanks. I also thought the differentiation was a bit difficult to make, but couldn't quite find the right way to do it. Your suggestion looks great. Mind if I take inspiration from it?
Not at all! Go for it
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 03:47 PM   #9
jemesouviens
macrumors member

Not bad for a first site!

My suggestions:

1 Have your links in a horizontal group at the top of the page. Presently you're wasting quite lot of the page as whitespace in the left hand margin, which is annoying when browsing on a smaller screen.

2 You may wish to use bootstrap / foundation to make the design more responsive.

3 While I too like the minimalist feel, it would be nice to have the occasional carefully curated image to make it less Spartan.

All the best!
jemesouviens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:35 AM   #10
Aztec
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemesouviens View Post
Not bad for a first site!

My suggestions:

1 Have your links in a horizontal group at the top of the page. Presently you're wasting quite lot of the page as whitespace in the left hand margin, which is annoying when browsing on a smaller screen.

2 You may wish to use bootstrap / foundation to make the design more responsive.

3 While I too like the minimalist feel, it would be nice to have the occasional carefully curated image to make it less Spartan.

All the best!
Once again, great suggestions.

1 I'm looking into that. I currently like the current setup, but you're right that it does waste a lot of space, especially on mobile

2 Definitely the next step. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this web design stuff, so I'm moving pretty slowly still. But it's coming. Also this way, I could keep the current layout if I really want to

3 I plan on sometimes including images, but only when they are especially relevant ie posts that relate to design and that show a product.

One last thing...t'es Québécois?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 07:54 PM   #11
jemesouviens
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Once again, great suggestions.

1 I'm looking into that. I currently like the current setup, but you're right that it does waste a lot of space, especially on mobile

2 Definitely the next step. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this web design stuff, so I'm moving pretty slowly still. But it's coming. Also this way, I could keep the current layout if I really want to

3 I plan on sometimes including images, but only when they are especially relevant ie posts that relate to design and that show a product.

One last thing...t'es Québécois?
Malheureusement non, mais ma femme est une vrai Montréalaise
jemesouviens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:37 PM   #12
Aztec
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemesouviens View Post
Malheureusement non, mais ma femme est une vrai Montréalaise
Sans doute cela fait de toi un vrai québécois!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development