Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nerdy Keith

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Hey guys,

I need some advise here if possible. I'm a Netflix customer and while I do have the luxury of watching Netflix on a TV screen via my PS3, thats not always a possibility as other people in my house like to watch the TV.

So a lot of the time I tend to watch Netflix content on one of my macs, either my iMac (desktop), or my macbook pro (laptop).

The problem with viewing a significant portion of Netflix's content on either Mac or PC internet browsers is that we are dependant on Microsoft Silverlight, which is the plug in that allows us view the content on a computer. Currently Silverlight has no additional viewing options to stretch out the screen on the sides when a show or movie has two black bars at either side.

Now for some reason my PS3 has some sort of video playback setting that automatically adjusts any dvd, bluray or online streaming to fit the entire screen, mainly because that doesn't depend on Silverlight.

But how do I do this on Mac? I'm willing to use any browser to achieve this, be it chrome, firefox, opera etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.