Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
I recently sold my PB with 1.67GHz, it was the last model series to use DDR1 memory. I sold it with quite bad battery, in terms of capacity that was. I also had one unused which I had owned for some time already so I finally got the change to test it, it worked fine, I ran the machine on battery power, then charged etc. It had only 3 battery load cycles so it was almost like new. I sold the battery separately.

Today the owner received and said that when he plugs in the battery his PB powers up straight away and does not react to power button, especially this last thing surprises me. When he removes the battery the machine works OK. SMC reset has already been mentioned, dunno if it worked.

But, is the battery damaged? He checked the battery model number and says it is compatible.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
It seems unlikely to be the battery itself, as that shouldn't regulate any on-off behavior. More likely, there is something wrong with a chip that deals with battery power or maybe the battery connector cable.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Buyer tried reseting SMC but no help, he said that when the charger is plugged in, the indicator light cycles between orange and green.

I took a screenshot after I tested the battery and those three load cycles were done during my testing:

http://aijaa.com/N5DzZu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.