Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
Hello,

I am new to macs and have had one for a month or so - For the first couple of weeks I was backing up my blurays with a plextor bluray reader drive then it stopped reading blurays..

I bought a Samsung bluray reader & Writer and continued backing up and it has now stopped reading disks...

Both the drives still read dvd and cd no problem so I am starting to think it is the mac...

Any ideas what to do here to get the mac to start identifying that there is a bluray disk in either of the drives?

Thanks for any help

Adam

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hello,

I am new to macs and have had one for a month or so - For the first couple of weeks I was backing up my blurays with a plextor bluray reader drive then it stopped reading blurays..

I bought a Samsung bluray reader & Writer and continued backing up and it has now stopped reading disks...

Both the drives still read dvd and cd no problem so I am starting to think it is the mac...

Any ideas what to do here to get the mac to start identifying that there is a bluray disk in either of the drives?

Thanks for any help

Adam
What are you using to back up your discs?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Ripping with MakeMKV and then coding with Handbrake.

It is just like the mac does not want to notice a bluray disk is in the drive?
Weird. Have you gone to Disc Utility and see if it is seeing the disc at all? Also, can you borrow a different BR drive and see if works? I know 2 BR drives not reading for you would be very bad luck...but I suppose it is possible. It's also odd the way neither drive was a problem initially, then failed to read.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
Weird. Have you gone to Disc Utility and see if it is seeing the disc at all? Also, can you borrow a different BR drive and see if works? I know 2 BR drives not reading for you would be very bad luck...but I suppose it is possible. It's also odd the way neither drive was a problem initially, then failed to read.

Thats what I thought - as both did work and then stopped. I thought maybe it is just bad luck but both drives still work for all bar bluray. I used the samsung to back up dvd's and rip a couple of cds for the car yesterday. I would have thought if it was the lens it would not be able to do this?

Not sure if it is worth buying a third and have the same issues.. Very confused.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
The full paid version? Else it expires.

You could try Handbrake the nightly build + it'll request a VLC runtime (decrypter). See if that'll read your Blu-Ray.
It will expire, but Mike posts new registration codes while in beta (and it still is). So all you need to do is get the new registration code at the MakeMKV forum website, copy and paste in MakeMKV and you should be good to go.

But that's why I asked if disc utility sees the disc. If DU see's it, the drive is working and it must be a Mac/software problem.

----------

Thats what I thought - as both did work and then stopped. I thought maybe it is just bad luck but both drives still work for all bar bluray. I used the samsung to back up dvd's and rip a couple of cds for the car yesterday. I would have thought if it was the lens it would not be able to do this?

Not sure if it is worth buying a third and have the same issues.. Very confused.

No, don't buy a third. See if you can find one to borrow, to help diagnose the problem.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
I go to launch pad and type disk u... I lt comes up and shows my hard drives but no disk drive although it did that still while playing a DVD with the drive?.....

Could it be that the 2 drives are USB 2 not 3? I just am not sure why they worked for 60 odd rips and now nothing...

When using the first (plextor) at one point the mac said "USB device using too much power has been ejected" or something like that...

Could it be that the mac has automatically reduced power to the USB drives and are now not sustaining the drives??

I am vexed...

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
I only have an old dell laptop that does not start....

I have sent the Samsung drive back today. Still have the plextor as its out pelf warranty.. Will maybe try the plextor on a mates pc to see if it works..

If not maybe I have just been unlucky with drives. Just confused how it can still read dvd's..

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I go to launch pad and type disk u... I lt comes up and shows my hard drives but no disk drive although it did that still while playing a DVD with the drive?.....

Could it be that the 2 drives are USB 2 not 3? I just am not sure why they worked for 60 odd rips and now nothing...

When using the first (plextor) at one point the mac said "USB device using too much power has been ejected" or something like that...

Could it be that the mac has automatically reduced power to the USB drives and are now not sustaining the drives??

I am vexed...
USB 2 or 3 shouldn't matter.

I have the same Plextar as you and have never gotten any error about power usage by the drive. Very odd. Trying the drive on a friends computer is a good idea.

With the disc utility not showing a disc when you have a BR in the drive, makes me very suspect of your drive. I can only speculate that BR discs may task the drive more (different speed, laser intensity, etc) but that is just a wild guess.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
So... I ordered a cheap bluray drive from eBay for £15.99 + £2.99 delivery and it works fine.

I must have just been unlucky with the plextor and Samsung drives...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.