Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:01 PM   #1
tmolloy
macrumors newbie

Need advice with buying new iPad mini on Craigslist

Some is selling an unopened iPad Mini 16gb wi-fi only for $425. The price for this iPad Mini is almost the same as the store, but there is no tax, which saves me $40. I hope he'll bring the price down to $410 (no price is ever firm...). Is it worth it to risk buying a stolen iPad? Can I somehow check to see if it was stolen without opening it?

Here's the link
And here's the email he sent to me when I inquired:
Hi Tim,
Yes it's in perfect condition & still sealed & wrapped. I just have a 64GB Blk Verizon I got for myself when they first came out & have a regular Retina iPad as well, so no need for a 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone
Any advice would be appreciated!
tmolloy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

iPad mini 16 GB wifi only is $329...
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:32 PM   #3
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
iPad mini 16 GB wifi only is $329...
Yes, but where's the fun in paying retail when you can get ripped off on Craigslist and have a wealth of fun posts on the forum.
poloponies is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:09 PM   #4
miklovo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmolloy View Post
Some is selling an unopened iPad Mini 16gb wi-fi only for $425.
first of all it's a 32gb mini for sale, not a 16gb as you stated and second, I would never buy anything from a dude that writes his number like this....80fve-67nine-12zero6.

He may as well have just said the price was 425 roses........
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:11 PM   #5
flavr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by miklovo View Post
He may as well have just said the price was 425 roses........
hahahaha...best post ever!
flavr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:12 PM   #6
blueroom
macrumors 603

NEVER buy anything "sealed" in the box without opening the box before you buy it. Scammers can reseal a box.
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:23 PM   #7
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

Whenever I search for "ipad mini" on Craigslist, I see a good number of crazy-low asking prices but convincing descriptions. Like, a 64gb wi-fi model for only $425 and similar. But then I realized that they're probably just collecting email addresses from the lots of interested people.

I've had good experiences with Craigslist in the past, but this [seemingly] new trend alone is putting me off from going that route this time.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:54 PM   #8
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

I bought mine on craigslist. I subtly asked during our texting if they had a receipt for the iPad and if I could open it as the seller stated it was sealed. I explained why I asked those things and they were very willing to assist me before forking over my money. If you feel comfortable with the seller, proceed. If you do not or do not agree on a price, move on. Its not worth your or the sellers hassle.
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:29 PM   #9
tmolloy
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your comments and sorry for the typo. Its a new 32gb iPad Mini wi-fi only. I talked him down to $400. From his emails he sounds legitimate. I asked to meet in a public place and I'm going to open the box and turn on the ipad to make sure it works. I'll also check the serial number on this website from my iphone before I hand over the cash.

Anything else that I should do before I pay him?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Rodster
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmolloy View Post
Anything else that I should do before I pay him?
Yes, suck it up and pay the tax and buy from Apple or a reputable retailer. You get a 30 day buyers remorse with most retailers and a 14 day from Apple. If something is wrong with the device it's easier to get it exchanged for a working unit.
Rodster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:58 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
NEVER buy anything "sealed" in the box without opening the box before you buy it. Scammers can reseal a box.
Agreed. Don't do the deal if the seller won't open the box and let you see the iPad and verify that it works.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:01 PM   #12
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Yes, suck it up and pay the tax and buy from Apple or a reputable retailer. You get a 30 day buyers remorse with most retailers and a 14 day from Apple. If something is wrong with the device it's easier to get it exchanged for a working unit.
This!

The warranty is likely already started, so the OP could be losing nearly a quarter of the warranty.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:40 AM   #13
tmolloy
macrumors newbie

Well, my wife and I met the guy at a starbucks last night. Nothing about his manner made me suspicious and he let me open the box, start up the ipad, and check the serial number for the warranty. The ipad worked as expected. I connected it to wifi, checked for updates, and checked the warranty. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Plus the warranty is good for a full year, not from the purchase date, but from yesterday--the day I registered it.

I figured if he was ok with me opening the box and checking the warranty, then he is most likely telling the truth. There is no way to 100% prevent being conned, but if you don't act like an easy target, they usually will back out. Craigslist is risky, but there are still legitimate deals out there.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:18 PM   #14
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God

Sounds like you got it then. Enjoy your new iPad!
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad