Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:55 PM   #1
BradClarke
macrumors member

Exclamation Broke Logic Board connector off 27" iMac 2011 - Help

So here the issue, I bought a 27" 2011 2.7Ghz i5 iMac off Craigslist for $620, I know what your saying, so whats the catch? Well the screen had some damage, the body was dented, and the front glass was missing. So I said to hell with it and decided to go with it since everything else was functional.

Well 1 week later I order a new rear housing and front glass. I started the transfer from old body to new body.

Was having issues getting the CPU/BlueTooth/FaceTime connector in the port, I used a splendor to help push it in and the connector broke off. GREAT! Why does apple force 3 totally different pieces of hardware to use one connector on the logic board, complete rip, when you consider the ODD (optical drive censor) has its own port.

So this is where im at now. I have a 27" imac that looks brand new, accept now Bluetooth, FaceTime camera, nor the CPU censor works. I would live with this but the CPU fan runs at FULL SPEED when it cant detect the censor. The lowest I can get the CPU Fan to go is 3500 RPM (Talk about annoying) smcFanControl will not make it go any lower. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

I bought it to the apple store today and they dont want to help me (I dont blame them) even though I do have apple care on it for another year.

I have attached pictures below, I DO NOT want to buy a new logic board for something so silly (a new logic board is the price of a new iMac).

If anyone could make any suggestions please let me know.

Last edited by BradClarke; Mar 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM.
BradClarke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:00 AM   #2
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

Find someone that's good at soldering? Looks like it can be saved if you solder the pins to the board/old connection?
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:35 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
You need someone with good soldering skills and good soldering gear.

If you don't know one personally I would go to an electronics store (The one which sells electronic components), most likely a person there can help you out, it is an easy job which could be done in under 5 minutes, give the guy $20 and that's it.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:55 AM   #4
Fried Chicken
macrumors regular

++ on soldering, no big deal.
Fried Chicken is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac