Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Hi all,

I know the general rule of thumb for most is that "bigger is better" when it comes to storage capacity. I tend to agree, especially with computer HDDs and RAM.

I am interested in getting an iPad Mini and am wondering if the 16GB is sufficient, however, given the fact that I don't intend to have many, if any, movies or TV shows on it (I may have the occasional video take on the iPad?). I doubt I will also put much music on it, because I tend to use my iPhone as my mp3 player.

My iPhone is a 32GB and still has 19.1 GB free with music, apps and photos on it. While I'll likely have the same number of apps on the iPad mini as I do on my phone, I doubt I will have even half the number of photos on the mini as I do on my phone, and won't have any music on it. I DO intend to use it as an ereader with some of the many ereader apps.

Given this, would you go with the 16GB, or is it still best to go with a higher capacity?

Thank you!

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I have a 16gb & don't have any music or videos , or those 1gb games
But I do have a lot of regular apps

I have about 4gb free

But remember the ipad mini shoots 1080p video so a 5 minute video takes a lot of space

I also download youtube videos that I like with mctube , that's another 2gb

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I went through the same thing as you, I'd first planned on a 16GB mini as I didn't plan on music or videos using my space, but last minute I opted for the 32GB, and I have to say I'm sooooooo glad I did. Actually at this point I almost wish I'd opted for the 64GB because I'm slightly managing space, mostly due to big apps (games, some of which are awesome but HUGE, like Asphalt 7 - 1.5GB!). Also, I use it for books (including quite a lot of PDFs), so those are taking some space, and I appreciate having the extra storage for them.

Apple makes it difficult for those of us who don't have money to burn, but one thing you'll never regret is too much storage, it's only not having enough that will be your regret. If you can swing it, go for the 32GB version, that's my advice, if not, no problem, you just might have to manage space a bit (not a horrible situation at all).

Hope that helps, feel free to post your first impressions when you get it, always love to read how others are getting on with their new Apple devices!

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I usually go 64 but went with the 32 this time and kind of regret it.
I am hoping the mini 2 gets released sooner than later.
When it does I'll go back to 64.

I can't imagine media managing for 16...ugh.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses. Sorry to be another "HOW MUCH SPACE?" person :p

I'll consider the storage more... especially since I do want to keep it for some time (I don't tend to purchase a new model each generation).

I will definitely share first impressions when I get mine! :)

Electcon

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Bigger is most certainly not better.

Bigger is more expensive, and a waste of money if you are not going to be using it. It's important that you know what you will be doing. Apple storage space on iDevices is super expensive.

I have a 16 GM Mini and it's more than I need.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Bigger is most certainly not better.

Bigger is more expensive, and a waste of money if you are not going to be using it. It's important that you know what you will be doing. Apple storage space on iDevices is super expensive.

I have a 16 GM Mini and it's more than I need.

What do you keep on yours?

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
FWIW I had a 16gb iPad 2, figured it would be enough since I wouldn't be storing videos/music on it.

Then I started subbing magazines, and keeping iPad apps, 16gb was not enough. i know when the mini 2 is released I will be buying a minimum of 32gb.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
My original iPad was a 16GB, simply because nobody knew what this new world of iPadding would be like. My latest iPad, a mini, is a 32GB version. I play several games on my iPad, mostly Need for Speed, and those games take up around 1-2GB each. I like to keep a fair bit of music on there, especially high-quality classical, so that takes up quite a bit as well. The extra space allows me to keep a few episodes of Doctor Who or something on there as well, letting my little tablet really shine. Remember that if you're going to be using it mostly at home, all of your media can be accessed using iTunes home sharing.

Electcon

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
What do you keep on yours?

I use my Mini for invoicing, I have a great app for that. I also use it to let the customer sign PDF contracts. I also have some pictures and technical manuals that I reference often. I play some games, do some reading (I have about 150 books between the different reader apps), surf the web a lot, and have a couple of television shows that I bought in iTunes a few years ago. I have 9 gigs of free space right now.

I have all the music I need on my iPhone, so I see no reason to fill up the iPad with it. I'm not one of those people who needs 50Gigs of music on all his devices at all times. The same thing with apps, I go thru phases and play games a lot, and then never play them again. In that situation I can delete them off the device, if I ever want to play again it's always available in about 20 seconds of downloading.

ZuneMan?

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Apple Store
16GB is more than enough for a casual user. You can always delete games/movies once youre done with them. $100 on an extra 16GB or $100 to use in the app store? I know which one I'd choose.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
16GB is plenty for me

I use about 8GB for games and other apps and the other 8 is empty.

Media is streamed from my home computer so I have access to media on hard drives that are cheap and huge. There is also the Internet, which has a vast library of media. Personally I like the Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crackle, and History Channel apps. There are other good apps too that I don't use, like Amazon streaming.

Many people seem to want to pay $200 extra to limit themselves to only 64GB of media, which they then have to spend time managing, syncing, and backing up, etc. The only advantage I can think of is that it would work where you cannot stream, but I find that scenario to be exceptionally rare in my case. About the only time is camping, and if I need to watch "Battleship" while camping, why they hell did I go camping? Perhaps for people who travel a lot to places with no wireless it is crucially important, but it sure isn't for me.

Obviously it is a personal issue and you need to examine your own particular needs and habits.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
As mentioned, Apple charges quite much for extra storage so unless you need it I would not pay for it. I bought 16GB version and it seems that I have 12,5GB free, I have taken 47 photos and installed bunch of apps. I assume that the OS takes a chunk of that 16GB and it's not on its own partition or anything like that.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Media is streamed from my home computer so I have access to media on hard drives that are cheap and huge. There is also the Internet, which has a vast library of media. Personally I like the Netflix, Hulu Plus, Crackle, and History Channel apps. There are other good apps too that I don't use, like Amazon streaming.

Many people seem to want to pay $200 extra to limit themselves to only 64GB of media, which they then have to spend time managing, syncing, and backing up, etc. The only advantage I can think of is that it would work where you cannot stream, but I find that scenario to be exceptionally rare in my case. About the only time is camping, and if I need to watch "Battleship" while camping, why they hell did I go camping? Perhaps for people who travel a lot to places with no wireless it is crucially important, but it sure isn't for me.

Over the many years I've owned and used Apple products, I don't think I've ever watched a movie, TV show or (goodness forbid) music video on the go. As you stated, if I intend to watch something on the sofa or in bed, I'll stream it from the computer holding my iTunes library. Therefore, much like yourself, for something like a Mini, 16GB is plenty for my needs.

Finally, even if I just had to whack an episode of The Sopranos on the iPad for my journey to London, there is usually plenty of GB free to use up as I'm somewhat of an anti-hoarder.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

My iPhone is a 32GB and still has 19.1 GB free with music, apps and photos on it. While I'll likely have the same number of apps on the iPad mini as I do on my phone, I doubt I will have even half the number of photos on the mini as I do on my phone, and won't have any music on it. I DO intend to use it as an ereader with some of the many ereader apps.

Given this, would you go with the 16GB, or is it still best to go with a higher capacity?

Thank you!
Why wouldn't you put at least some music on it? I know many people who listen to soft music while reading.

Anyway, it sounds like 16GB might be enough in your case, you might want to consider 32GB if you plan on keeping it for a while, especially as you don't know how your usage will change over time.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I pretty much just store games/apps and photos on my iPad mini, and I still have about 8GB of space left. You should be completely fine with the 16GB model.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Why wouldn't you put at least some music on it? I know many people who listen to soft music while reading.

Anyway, it sounds like 16GB might be enough in your case, you might want to consider 32GB if you plan on keeping it for a while, especially as you don't know how your usage will change over time.

I don't know, I found when I had my last iPad (an iPad 2 that I sold), I never put music on it. I had 1 or 2 videos that I'd delete after watching. I just find I don't really listen to music while I'm reading, at least not on the go through earphones.

I think I may consider 32GB just because I plan to keep it for a while and don't want to find myself running out of storage space.

I'll be using my Mini for games, calendar/mail (they sync OTA via outlook exchange), ebooks (hoping my eyes can handle them!), and probably random other things here and there.

Now the next debate is going to be wifi or data...hahaha. I like the mobility that data offers but don't know if I'll be using it on the go enough to justify it (since I have my iPhone). I found when I had my iPad 2 I was convinced I'd need data but ended up cancelling it. (I can't pick up wifi at most public places I go.)

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Get the most space you can afford. These things are not upgradeable. You may think you don't need it, but then you get that app that take up 1GB, you start shooting video, you feel like watching movies and BAM! You're outta space.

I'd buy a 512GB version if they made one...

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If you can afford it, go ahead and go big!

I have a 16GB mini and it's enough for me. Of course I could put more music and other media on it, but I just put on the playlists I prefer to listen to on the go.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
As others have said, shooting video can really fill up memory fast. BUT, that's why I have a camera app that allows me to shoot in lower res. I never shoot at higher than 720p. Just an option to consider.

As far as getting your money's worth, I agree that 16GB is the sweet spot.

All that being said, I got the 32GB because I like to have a lot of video with me (movies to watch, and movies to edit in iMovie).

Regards,
Tom

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
When you have 2 devices, you have to consider them both.

I almost got the 64 GB iPad, but then I realized that a 32 GB iPad + my 64 GB iPhone equals 96 GB of space, which is really quite a lot.

I always have my phone with me, so there's really no reason to have music on my iPad too. That was a pretty big realization.

Everyone's needs are different, of course, but I'm just saying, if you have a smart phone, don't forget to consider that as part of the equation.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Day-to-day, 16gb is probably fine. 32gb+ really becomes worth it if you ever decide to travel.

I used to bring my laptop just to juggle files. 32GB allows me to put nearly anything I could want for the duration of the trip.

Ellethor

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Venezuela
I have a 16GB iPad mini and this es enough for me, all my music is in my iPod Touch so i dont need put music on my iPad... I have lots of app and watch videos only in streaming.... lots of books and pdf and just 800MB of pics and video... I dont need to say that I really love my 16GB iPad mini...:)

kaylerrific

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
When you have 2 devices, you have to consider them both.

I almost got the 64 GB iPad, but then I realized that a 32 GB iPad + my 64 GB iPhone equals 96 GB of space, which is really quite a lot.

I always have my phone with me, so there's really no reason to have music on my iPad too. That was a pretty big realization.

Everyone's needs are different, of course, but I'm just saying, if you have a smart phone, don't forget to consider that as part of the equation.

I agree completely. I don't see why some people feel the need to duplicate their content on two devices. If I'm reading on my iPad and I want some music, I can easily just use my iPhone which is either in a pocket or purse.

OP, I agree for your uses 16GB is enough. Your uses are pretty much what I use it for and I still have 5GB left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.