Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Errk!
macrumors 6502

Is it feasible to put a 128gb chip in a Nano?

Just wondering if anyone knows the feasibility of putting a 128gb chip in a 16gb iPod Nano (7th generation). I'm assuming it isn't cost prohibitive...I would assume the most important question would be if there was a 128gb chip that is the same physical size as the 16gb. Then is it feasible to open up the device and put the new chip in, I guess.

Has anyone tried this? Or does anyone know of a company that does or could offer such a service?
Errk! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:04 PM   #2
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

Not very. The chip is mounted on the board in such a way as to make it next to impossible to remove. I'm sure that it can be done, but only with highly specialized, terribly expensive equipment.

The image here is of the logic board of the 7th generation iPod nano; the storage is the big honker down on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drqx3BTMbRcgQyQC.huge.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	643.0 KB
ID:	390499  
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:46 PM   #3
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

Not only is it next-to-impossible to solder a larger capacity chip there, the firmware and hardware likely won't recognize a larger amount of flash memory than it was designed to work with.

For example, I have a first-gen MacBook Pro. It can only handle 2GB of RAM. If I put in 4GB of RAM, the system will only see the first 2GB. It's a hardware limitation with its Core Duo processor.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Right now, the highest-capacity single-chip flash chip is 64 GB. So, no. You can't put 128 GB in a nano.

Even if there was, surface-mount soldering is a VERY tricky operation. Yes, there are people that could do it at home, but they have specialized equipment. This isn't a "do it with your run of the mill soldering iron" kind of job.

As for the "would it recognize it"? I don't know. Apple doesn't have any reason to have put IN the code necessary to recognize such a chip, but most storage code is pretty generic - and flash chips are "mass storage" chips, so it very well might work.

The problem with RAM, such as the MacBook Pro, is with system memory, not storage. Two completely different things. You can go ahead and put a 1 TB drive in a first-generation MacBook Pro no problem, or even a 768 GB flash drive. The RAM issue is system memory, not storage. Same with the iPod. The hard-drive-based iPods can have their storage replaced without too much difficulty, since it isn't soldered in.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
blueroom
macrumors 603

Plus the firmware probably wouldn't address it.

If you have to ask, you can't do it.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod