Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: How should apple enlarge the iPhone screen?
Keep the same resolution, I don't want to tax the CPU or battery anymore than I have too. 0 0%
Increase the resolution proportionately with the display size, 325ppi is good enough 0 0%
Double the resolution, battery life be damned! 1 33.33%
Other, explained in comments. 1 33.33%
What? Noooo, keep it exactly the same, it's perfect! 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:46 PM   #1
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

How should apple make about making a larger display?

There's lots of talk about apple needing to make an even larger display to compete with the ever growing handsets other manufacturers are making. While I really like the current iPhone size, if apple were to make a larger iPhone screen, say around 4.7", what rout do you think they should take? I see a couple of different possibilities.

1. Keep the same resolution (1136x640) but make the display larger. This has the advantages of not taxing the CPU more than it already is, and all apps will work out the box without any updates. The cons though are that everything may look out of proportional large, since all buttons and texts will be stretched out over a larger display area and the pixel density would drop significantly (276ppi)

2. Enlarge the screen size and resolution proportionately, like they did with the iPhone 5. That would mean at 4.7 the resolution would be around 1305x809. The pros would be that pixel density would be the same and all apps would still work, though they would have black bars around all the sides, though that may encourage app developers to use the extra screen real estate to enhance their UI instead of just stretching their apps out. The cons would be another propriety resolution and it would still be lower resolution than 1080p HD screens released by the competition.

3. Double resolution. By going to a 2272x1280 screen resolution they would have an absurd 553 PPI, the screen quality would leapfrog everyone else and would provide the highest quality screen on the market. They could also pixel double all current apps to work on the new screen and it would be simple for app developers to update to the new resolution. The cons would be it would take a lot of processor power and battery life to power that screen. Who knows if current technology would allow them to do that while keeping the iPhone as thin and light as it is. Also app developers may just take the easy way out and not update properly for the new resolution, instead of reworking their UI for the larger display, they may just update the graphics and leave everything else the same, so everything would look larger than it would need to be.

What do you guys think? Personally i hope they could go down rout number 3, but that would depend on the power trade off.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Edge to edge screen before really making the phone bigger itself
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone