Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newbz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and quite newbie to Mac also. Got to know of this website from a goggle search. I hope anyone can kindly advise me of a problem with my iMac 27" (2009 model):

Upon bootup, I see some lines on my iMac screen.

Maclines_zps4a79390d.jpg

It takes a lot longer than usual to come to the desktop screen.

When it does, there are many small square pixels filling up the desktop:

Macpixels_zps34af40ee.jpg

If I try to click on a program or file to open, the colour wheel will appear and spin forever. (The files and programs are all there.... just cannot open them.)

Does anyone know what is wrong with my Mac? I'm wondering if it's the graphics card.

I did an extended Apple Hardware Test during bootup and the result found nothing wrong at all!

Is there anything I can DIY or the only way is to send the whole iMac for servicing?

You advice and help is greatly appreciated. Thank u!

BlackZ

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
It doesnt look good and DIY possible.

Call Apple Service, can be a loose cable but doubt it since its an iMac / Logic board which is faulty.

When I had this happen to my MBP from 2008 it was the logic board.... got it back within 4 days though.

newbz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks BlackZ.

The Apple Hardware Test did check the logic board and found no fault. Or maybe that test is not detailed enough to pick it up.

As it's no longer under warranty, Apple Service advised me to call any of their authorized service centres. Do you have any good one to recommend?

Just curious, did you have to pay for a replacement logic board? If so, how much was it?

I hope it doesn't cost too much for my iMac. Just the diagnosis of problem already costs $120 and transport I think close to $50. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.