Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I don't know if this is the appropriate forum to post this thread or not. I don't
think it belongs to the community forum either.

Anyway, I was wondering what mobile/cell/handy do you guys have? and how
well does it play with your Mac? Does it sync with your Mac? Does it work
well with other Apps like bluephone elite...etc.

I own a Samsung D500 and it basically works with my powerbook through
bluetooth. I can transfer music/videos/pics from and to the phone, however
that is it. No synching, it is not compatible with bluephone elite (which I
was looking forward to use when I 1st got the phone).

Attachments

• Samsung D500 open.jpg
    Samsung D500 open.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 751

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I'm using a Motorola MPx200 which I've had for almost two years... I haven't upgraded to anything better because (1) I'm not so sure that any current cellphone is "better" and (2) I need the Windows Smartphone capabilities so that I can remotely check my mail (which is stored on an Exchange 2003 Server).

I don't use this with my Mac at all.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I have the Motorola e815 for Verizon. It syncs with iCal and Address Book via BT right out of the box. With a couple clicks on the keypad, dial-up networking via BT works perfectly. A seem edit (which takes less than a minute), now allows me to transfer music, movies, pictures to and from the phone via BT. It even works as a mp3 player with the right headphones.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
I have a Siemens A55.

No bluetooth. No sync. Very barebone.

Since I don't use the phone all that much, I'll probably keep it until it dies, or I suddenly get a large amount of cash that I don't need to use for something else. Then I'll buy a SE w800i. *drools*

Attachments

• siemens-A55-f-d276257a5d61.jpg
    siemens-A55-f-d276257a5d61.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,754

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I actually got a new mobile at the weekend – I went for the Sony Ericsson T630. Not the most up-to-date or feature packed phone on the market I know, but it was dirt cheap and I knew it would sync in with my Mac without any problems.

Look! :p

Attachments

• px_ERI-STD-T630-1_details_page.gif
    px_ERI-STD-T630-1_details_page.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 2,741

Applespider

macrumors G4
Sony Ericsson 750i which syncs without problem and lets me transfer files over. It will play normal AAC files and works with iMovie to receive files through there. It even works as a remote control for the Mac - just to confuse people when you let them use it and then have your phone move the mouse across the screen... More usefully, it allows the phone to act as a remote control for Airtunes

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Motorola Razr

Looks sexy, but a crappy menu... Syncs well with Mac.
blobtongue.gif

motorola-RAZR-2.jpg

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
grapes911 said:
I have the Motorola e815 for Verizon. It syncs with iCal and Address Book via BT right out of the box. With a couple clicks on the keypad, dial-up networking via BT works perfectly. A seem edit (which takes less than a minute), now allows me to transfer music, movies, pictures to and from the phone via BT. It even works as a mp3 player with the right headphones.

I have that phone but without a seem edit. ( i don't have access to a PC) is there away to do it on mac. I was at HoFo and all i saw was how to do it on a pc

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Compile 'em all said:
I never liked motorola's software, I think Nokia phones are the best software-
wise.

Can only second that.. My next phone ll be a nokia.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I have the E815 with Verizon. Syncs Calendars and contacts just fine but I can't transfer pictures, movies or sound files because I have no way to do the seem edit. One thing to note, it does have a mini SD card slot so if you wanted you could by a card and a card reader for it and then you would be able to transfer pictures and audio, however, ring tones are still not transferable.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
yippy said:
I have the E815 with Verizon. Syncs Calendars and contacts just fine but I can't transfer pictures, movies or sound files because I have no way to do the seem edit. One thing to note, it does have a mini SD card slot so if you wanted you could by a card and a card reader for it and then you would be able to transfer pictures and audio, however, ring tones are still not transferable.

its uses a transflash card, and yes you can do ring tones ( u need a transflash card) and a computer... u basicly have to shorten an mp3 down to 30 seconds, lower the kbps to i think its 98 and change it to a midi file and raise the volume of it... it sounds hard but once you get the hang of it its really easy.... my current ring tone is the family guy theme :D
if u want more detail PM

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I have a Nokia 6100, no bluetooth so can't sync with Mac. But it has infra-red so I can connect it to PC if need be.

dxm113

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2005
yippy said:

Not trying to be an a$$ but the e815 uses micro SD, not mini (just trying to elimiate the confusion). Also, you can use MP3s as ring tones. If you search around the HoFo, you can find ways to eliminate verizon's stock photo's and ringtones . . .

It's a great phone, works great with iSync w/o the seem edit, even better after ;) (OBEX!)

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Motorola v330.

Couldn't get it to work for a while. Took it back. Got another one. The replacement works great with iSync. No photos in address but otherwise it's flawless.

Great phone. Menus are too complicated. Battery life is only soso.

Available through T-Mobile and Cingular.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Sony Ericsson S710a

Just got this phone under Cingular Service. Excellent phone, same screen as the Razr, and syncs wonderfully with the mac.

Although, I just saw the LG VX9800 from Verizon and that looks pretty sweet.

fwhh

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2004
Berlin, Germany
Nokia 6230

Nokia 6230:
Bluetooth Internet access works really great (GPRS), but no (i)sync, only with 3rd Party Software a basic backup is possible. But "send file to device" and "browse device" is possible via Bluetooth Menu.
Nice: replaceable memory card, mp3 Player, Radio - but only with headset.
Bad: poor battery performance (2-4 Days, 6310 has had 10-14 days)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.