Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Apr 5, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Unprocessed1
macrumors 65816

Youtube App - Limited Content?

Is it just me, or does it seem like the Youtube app has a lot of missing videos? If I search youtube on my MBP I get all the videos, including official music videos, whereas on the iPad I can never find what I'm looking for, especially music videos.
Unprocessed1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:30 PM   #2
dav
macrumors 6502

The iphone app does exactly the same thing, perhaps something with publishers limiting the content to desktop only? Kind of annoying.
dav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:33 PM   #3
jrboddie
macrumors newbie

Yes. When a video is published, there is a option to allow/disallow availability to mobile and tv syndication (TiVo).
jrboddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 02:40 PM   #4
goobot
macrumors 601

those vids are either not been completely processed or not allowed on anything but the website itself.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 04:09 PM   #5
JimKirk
macrumors 6502

I think youtube is gimped.

The app has limited videos. And if you go to the website you get the mobile version.

I tried selecting desktop to get the full youtube and selecting html 5 beta.

Some videos load but most don't. Don't know if it is a google or a apple problem but it is lame nonetheless.
JimKirk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Unprocessed1
macrumors 65816

Most of the ipad youtube videos are crappy too. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Unprocessed1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:40 AM   #7
gwynne
macrumors 65816

Youtube behaves the exact same way on my Western Digital Media Extender (which has a built in YT app). Basically everything I *want* to view, I'm not allowed to because the device is connected to a TV (or so the error message reads).

Some days I'm astounded by how much youtube sucks. But to be fair I was never a huge fan anyway.
gwynne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Bodhi395
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrboddie View Post
Yes. When a video is published, there is a option to allow/disallow availability to mobile and tv syndication (TiVo).
Why would youtube even include this option? I'm guessing it has to do with some legal issue, but can't figure out what that would be. If its available for everyone to see on the internet already, why wouldn't people want it to be seen on a mobile or tv device?
Bodhi395 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:19 AM   #9
msduncan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unprocessed1 View Post
Most of the ipad youtube videos are crappy too. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Except for Kazoo Enter Sandman.
msduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:25 AM   #10
taskmanager
macrumors regular

It will only play the mobile videos. The mobile videos on youtube aren't using flash, which is why youtube made it available so you could view videos without it. Unfortunately the youtube channel owner has to check a box to allow mobile viewing. If only the ipad supported flash... common Steve make friends with adobe
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:27 AM   #11
phillyred79
macrumors regular

Yeah, its kinda a bummer esp. when you wanna show off your shiny new iPad to your friends and ***** don't work! Also, the resolution is kinda disappointing too esp. in landscape mode.. Oh well.. I still love my iPad though!
phillyred79 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:37 AM   #12
ugp
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
I noticed one video pop up and say that it was not playable on the iPad.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:20 PM   #13
ClaireL
macrumors 6502a

I freaking love YouTube! I watch HD videos on it all the time and they look great. Lower res videos not so much but I don't care especially since there are loads of old TV show goodness for my huge iPad screen!

Btw, is there a way to search for videos by Date either on the YouTube app or through the browser? On my computer, it would let you search for videos that had been uploaded within a day or month etc.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Smackfu
macrumors newbie

If you want to see this in action, search for an official music video on desktop YouTube and Favorite it. Now if you go to your favorites on the iPad, you will see the video but if you try to play it, it will say it's unsupported on the iPad.

Or just follow this link on the iPad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I
Smackfu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:46 PM   #15
vstephenson
macrumors member

On the subject of YouTube...

When I try to save/flag a video as a favourite i keep getting the error message "YouTube not available"

Any ideas?

Cheers
Vincent
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:48 PM   #16
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Actually, many artists and users, prevent their videos from being embedded (or syndicated), unfortunately, because of that, you can only view the videos via a web browser.

TEG
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:48 AM   #17
sandshir
macrumors newbie

limited content on youtube

The reason why artists and media companies limit some of their content to desktop only is because many people hook up their ipads and iphones to their cars (with growing media connectivity in modern vehicles) and forgo subscription options like xm/sirius satellite radio or radio in general which reduces these artists ability to generate money through these premium subscription based services. Its self defeating. Same with youtube on playstations and Apple TV's, by being able to play the main HD versions of artists music and video (or media content), you forgo adding premium media channels to your channel line up. Even the internet service providers and telecom companies hate it, because many mobile phones come with unlimited data usage plans, and so rather than people paying for the extra channels, they pay for the unlimited data plan (which comes out to less) and use their youtube ready mobile devices to stream endless amount of media and data to their tv sets. The only solution for the media/telecom complex shall we call it is to limit the streaming only to desktop devices, your not gonna take your desktop to your car, and your not going to hook it up to your tv set every time with cables, some do, but many wont its too much work and hassle.
sandshir is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad