Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:04 PM   #376
saltspringer
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saltspring Island
4G MacBook Pros?

When are we going to get MacBook Pros with 4G capability built-in?

Tethering your iPhone is SO 2012.

Last edited by saltspringer; Feb 19, 2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: to foll
saltspringer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:10 PM   #377
Kushp14
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsBeaTt View Post
If you can have the money to purchase the cMBP but not the Retina (which will be moved down to the price point of the cMBP upon its removal), then you're in the financial situation where you really can't afford either.
Thank you
Kushp14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:12 AM   #378
fpsBeaTt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCat View Post
Well if you say so, then you probably have access to inside information.

Because observing Apple's behavior the last year and a half, nothing indicates that we're about to witness a sharp price drop this year. According to your theory, the cheapest MacBookPro will be all Retina and cost 1.200 $ or 1.200 €, which is a 300 $/€ drop. Honestly I don't think so.

More likely, prices will go up again and we'll get fewer ports and non user upgradable RAM.
But hey, who am I to complain, the current non-Retina will then be cheaper as refurb...
No, based on past history. Whenever they've added a supplementary/new option which later becomes a standard, it initially comes at a premium. This has been shown with the 32GB iPod Touch 1st gen, the current design of the Mac Mini, the 128GB iPad 4th gen (if previous behaviour is to be an indication), and presumably with the Retina MacBook Pro.

These are just the few examples that immediately come to mind, so I feel quite confident that upon the removal of the cMBP, the rMBP will assume its predecessor's price point.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushp14 View Post
Thank you
You're welcome
__________________
15" RMBP 2.6GHz16GB; 11" MBA; iPad Mini R;Gold iPhone 5S; 27" Thunderbolt Display; PC: 4GHz i7, 3GB 7970, 6GB triple channel RAM, Lian Li A71F case, Logitech G700 mouse, Apple Wireless Keyboard.
fpsBeaTt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:18 PM   #379
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsBeaTt View Post
If you can have the money to purchase the cMBP but not the Retina (which will be moved down to the price point of the cMBP upon its removal), then you're in the financial situation where you really can't afford either.
That is a pretty elitist attitude.
$3-400 is not small potatoes to most people. ( I could buy a nice Moogerfooger pedal for that much!)
For example, a lot of folks might wait until they have a month where they get 3 paychecks (one on the 1st, one on the 15th and one on the 29th) in order to be able to put enough disposable income into a laptop that they intend to last for a while. Now I make enough that I can pick up a rMBP that way. But someone making a few grand less than me would have to settle for a cMBP, or else save up over successive paychecks.
Then there are also departmental budgets. I know at my job people really do sweat the diffrence in price over a $1100 laptop and a $1400 laptop, especially when you are buying 10!
Ironically, a little while ago we went the opposite direction. We actually bought a couple of the most expensive rMBP we could find so that it would exceed a certain budget threshold and draw from a different pile of money.
Corporations are weird.

Last edited by calaverasgrande; Feb 21, 2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: oopsie, I said classic when I meant retina. derp
calaverasgrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 03:43 AM   #380
trajan2448
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
If this is true 2013 is going to be even worse than 2012...
I have many colleagues in music and video in LA who love their 17" MBP with all the extras. We really hope Apple does another top of the line 17" for power users with 32 gb max ram, blu ray or at least DVD, 1tb SSD and ultra fast. There is definitely pent up demand for these. I will use mine Dec 2011 as long as possible. This a very loyal core group that will happily max out on spending 3 or 4 thousand to have the best for Pro Tools etc. These are not toys to listen to itunes with.
trajan2448 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 02:18 PM   #381
btharris781
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Yeah, okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3N16MA View Post
Apple will launch new phones, tablets, and notebooks in 2013.

As you can see by my statement above I am a highly respected analyst who put great thought into my prediction.
You must be one of the smartest people I've ever seen on this forum; I had no idea new products we're coming out in 2013; how did you know?? It must be because "you are a highly respected analyst", right? Wrong- you're a clown act. Also, your cheaper iPhone prediction is complete trash, how on earth anyone could buy into this crap is just beyond me. Apple has never set out to make a "cheap and affordable" device, and they never will - because their products don't belong in that market segment. A very cheap and affordable product would undoubtedly risk damaging the company's hard-earned reputation for building the highest quality products on the market; maybe you should put a little more thought into your elementary and overwhelmingly amateurish predictions.
btharris781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:27 AM   #382
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a
 
3N16MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by btharris781 View Post
You must be one of the smartest people I've ever seen on this forum; I had no idea new products we're coming out in 2013; how did you know?? It must be because "you are a highly respected analyst", right? Wrong- you're a clown act. Also, your cheaper iPhone prediction is complete trash, how on earth anyone could buy into this crap is just beyond me. Apple has never set out to make a "cheap and affordable" device, and they never will - because their products don't belong in that market segment. A very cheap and affordable product would undoubtedly risk damaging the company's hard-earned reputation for building the highest quality products on the market; maybe you should put a little more thought into your elementary and overwhelmingly amateurish predictions.
Thanks for the laugh. I am saving this post so I can occasionally go back and read it.
3N16MA is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4K support for late 2013 retina MacBook Pros jonisign MacBook Pro 10 Mar 29, 2014 03:37 AM
Teardowns of Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pros Reveal No Improvements in Accessibility MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 242 Feb 1, 2014 07:32 PM
Product Listing Suggests Retina iPad Mini Could Launch on November 21 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 75 Nov 5, 2013 02:25 PM
Apple to Release Thinner Fifth-Generation iPad and Retina iPad Mini in Last Three Months of 2013 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 190 Sep 25, 2013 07:00 PM
Resolved: I'm Going to Sell Retina MacBook Pro and Live on Retina iPad Mini, BUT I NEED........ HappyDude20 iPad 40 Sep 2, 2013 02:09 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC