Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:20 AM   #76
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows87 View Post
5S slight camera upgrade very minor... and a fingerprint sensor?... talk about a big big disappointment, while other competitors are working on something BIG/New Apple is just doing the same darn thing, minor spec bumps
doing the same thing over and over = insanity , they simply wont survive for long.. Apple you have work to do !
What are competitors bringing to the table that's "BIG/New"? Unless you quite literally mean "big" as in "bigger screen"

Actually, a fingerprint sensor and camera upgrades are exactly the kinds of gimmicky little features Samsung adds to each of their new phones, so I guess Apple is just playing the same game. Of course Apple's "gimmicks" will probably better implemented, as usual.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:22 AM   #77
Haswell
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayRadioPlay View Post
If they don't upgrade the Mac Pro in 2013, I will be buying a desktop PC.

I love Apple, but this is really getting insane.

I have work to do, Apple, and I'm not upgrading to the current Mac Pro.
Why just build yourself a hackintosh?
Haswell is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:22 AM   #78
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiefan89 View Post
But... then you're buying a SMARTPHONE, a device that demands you pay $30-$50 every single month for who-knows-how-long
Not if you BUY the smartphone. If you BUY the phone, you can use other options. And no one forces you to use 3G or 4G data services.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:28 AM   #79
Masterkona
macrumors member

Interestingly, if Apple priced the iPhone 5 redesign at $350 they would kill Samsung. There is no way Samsung would be able to compete with that price. They would be forced to either stop the galaxy line or to dramatically reduce the price. The A7 chip combined with a 15 hour battery, and a finger print scanner, would kill all Samsung Phones or at least severely hurt sales.

If they included haptic feedback in the (iPad mini 3?) http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/..._feedback.html

it would be ready for implementation on the iPhone 6S. Or they could simply wait for the iPhone 7. I wonder when IGZO displays will be ready for mass production

I personally see the iPad mini being an ideal video gaming machine. Once they add 3D gaming to the iPad the skies the limit. There is almost no way they can have an iPad with the technology described in patents like this http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08...nt_3d_objects/
ready by 2014-2015. Additionally, if Apple buys LeapMotion they could take control of technology that would severely help improve the user experience and would allow them to make beyond awesome products sooner rather then later.

There are reasons Apple has filed patents for these. I don't think they did it off fun. They plan to add this technology, however processors/battery tech has to be available that allows it to make sense. If the battery only lasts 1-2 hours the concept is flawed. If it costs $500 to build they need the costs to come down. My suspicion is that they are building fascilities that can accomidate their production demands and can mass manufacture future stuff for prices that can yield 30-40% margins. When Tim Cook mentioned tht Steve Jobs told him to do what's right I think he was referring to the massive amount of money they will be making. I see a scenario where in 2015-2016 they are earning $150-200 billion in profit. We're a ways off from it playing out, but I can't help but wonder if the reason they aren't using the 120 billionaire that they plan on using it for massive quick production of new fascilities.

Remember, when they have 500billion in cash and more money than God, they effectively become God of the consumer electronics sector. Ironically, even if they are earning $150billion + they will only have 20-25% global market share. ( if even that). Perhaps doing what's right meant being a benevolent God.

Last edited by Masterkona; Jan 16, 2013 at 01:37 AM.
Masterkona is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:29 AM   #80
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Not if you BUY the smartphone. If you BUY the phone, you can use other options. And no one forces you to use 3G or 4G data services.
Higher end smartphones cost considerably more than an iPod touch when purchased outright. And most if not all US carriers force you to pay for a data plan when using a Smartphone on their network.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:33 AM   #81
iSteve-O
macrumors regular

First half of the year is so exciting!
iSteve-O is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:37 AM   #82
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaKat View Post
Nothing for the first 6 months of the year? No way. Investors are already feeling shaky and the stock is doing terrible. No product releases for 6 more months would be market suicide. I think we'll see the redesigned iPad, as well as the retina iPad mini sometime around March. I also think we'll see an iWatch released in the first 6 months. New iPhones in June. I guess cheap iPhones as well, but I have my doubts. I think we'll also see a redesigned Mac Pro in the first 6 months of the year. It would be nice if they released a new redesigned thunderbolt retina display to go with their pro machines. That of course would lead to retina iMacs towards the end of the year.
I bet this guy is trying to tank the stock. There is NO WAY Apple doesn't have something new in March/April...something is coming then and it's not Apple TV.
Ryth is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:39 AM   #83
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
I bet this guy is trying to tank the stock. There is NO WAY Apple doesn't have something new in March/April...something is coming then and it's not Apple TV.
OS 11.0

But that's a secret.
Peace is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:39 AM   #84
sputnikv
macrumors regular

the mac pro does not come with thunderbolt. my gut tells me they have a vested interest in moving to vector graphics with 10.9 all the while making the final transition to retina for all of their devices. their imac and displays would be the trickiest given the cost and graphical demands of outputting at those resolutions without compromising the current capabilities to link multiple monitors together. upgrading the graphics on the mac pro and the mac mini to support this won't do unless they have a display ready to go alongside those revisions. i don't see that happening until or after the imac receives the same treatment. the long of it is, i don't see the mac pro being upgraded unless the displays are upgraded as well
sputnikv is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:40 AM   #85
TechZeke
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
The HP Z1 (easy to upgrade AIO), HP SpectreONE and Dell XPS One 27, don't look too shabby. You could probably make a Hackintosh out of them, although since they're in the same price range as the iMac I'm not sure why you would.
Not only do they cost just as much as an iMac, they all have sh-t GPUs.(Ironic, since Macs have always seen as not being able to play games)

Even the $2100 XPS One 27 has a GT 640M. My MBP even has a better GPU.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:42 AM   #86
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
And you are wrong.
Slapped down by the man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Read the thread, and we have the answer: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1381818.
The answer is that a lot of people thought it was not the way apple would go.

arn
Arn, your evidence that it was an "unusual detail" is that someone on the forums didn't think the rumour was true, but it was true?

That is pretty damning evidence. No one ever disagrees on this forum.
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:46 AM   #87
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Off topic, but I suspect there's a kindly MR member who likes to give every comment on the page a positive vote, which I've noticed before. A little nod to the Phantom Upvoter, whoever you are.
I noticed this as well and not only in this thread or today only.
justperry is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:47 AM   #89
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma*Police View Post
I don't know... I thought 2012 was one of the most impressive years in the company's history for hardware refreshes. I think some people's expectations are getting completely out of whack. It's almost as if they expect Apple to pull an iPhone (like the 2007 launch) out of a hat every year.
Honestly my expections aren't high at all...

Just want...

1) Larger screen size option for the next iPhone

2) iOS 7 too update the UI and fix notification center, multitasking, etc.

3) Apple to work on services (Maps, Siri, iCloud)

I'm not asking for for a 5.5'' phablet, Apple 4K TV, etc.

I honestly think those are reasonable.
irDigital0l is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:48 AM   #90
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Fingerprint sensor ?

I call hogwash
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:49 AM   #91
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
Why would you want a thinner side bezel on the big iPad? Wouldn't it be harder to hold? S'pose it depends how much lighter it is...
mazz0 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:50 AM   #92
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley_chad View Post
My 4 year old niece can predict better than this guy! (as could my dog!)
What is your dog saying?
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:00 AM   #93
Phantom upVoter
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
Off topic, but I suspect there's a kindly MR member who likes to give every comment on the page a positive vote, which I've noticed before. A little nod to the Phantom Upvoter, whoever you are.
Thank for noticing. I am just doing my part to encourage budding journalists. Forgive me for my anonymous nature, but there are those who do not believe that everyone deserves an upVote.

Peace out!
Phantom upVoter is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:01 AM   #94
32KFJ
macrumors regular

i dont think that apple will update all of their products in Q3...that wouldn't be very tactical.

i think they will split it like in 2012.
32KFJ is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:07 AM   #95
1=1?
macrumors regular

Lame. Non-retina MBP is the only buffer between me and apple screwing me financially. Looks like I'll be buying the latest non-retina version soon and keeping it for the next 5-6 years.

Though on a side note, if they could make the edges of the MBP topcase rounded they could really help my skin.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:09 AM   #96
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
OS 11.0

But that's a secret.
iOS doesn't make them money...a product does that is tangible.

iPad Mini and iPad 5 is coming in March.
Ryth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:12 AM   #97
D-a-a-n
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
iPhone for the middle class! Yay!
Dude, even the lower class already had one, iPhone isn't about status anymore.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:14 AM   #98
J.acks
macrumors member

Wow.. Seriously? Why am I not surprise with the prediction.

Apple recent product is too linear. They should make something that WOW the world just like what they did when iPhone first launch!!!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:15 AM   #99
louis.b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
No offense but I don't agree that the new imacs have been well received at all. Theres a ton of complaints regarding them and many people think they made unworthy compromises in make the design thinner.
if you trust online commentators, I believe you're wasting your time.
louis.b is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:20 AM   #100
introspectif
macrumors newbie

Q3

Don't forget Q3 for Apple begins at the end of March. A lot of people seem to be overlooking that fact.
introspectif is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion