Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:10 AM   #1
someguy
macrumors 68020

Never home to receive online orders. What can I do?

Recently I started a new job, and now I'm rarely home around the time online orders are delivered. I'm always coming home to the sticker on the door telling me when they'll be back.

Are there any services, like a P.O. Box, that I can have things shipped to, and then pick them up at my leisure?

someguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:14 AM   #2
throAU
macrumors 68030

Get them delivered to work? (tis what I do).

I.e.

john doe
c/o your workplace
your city

etc
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:18 AM   #3
SweetTart
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Recently I started a new job, and now I'm rarely home around the time online orders are delivered. I'm always coming home to the sticker on the door telling me when they'll be back.

Are there any services, like a P.O. Box, that I can have things shipped to, and then pick them up at my leisure?
Go to a small postal facility (typically in a small shop where you might go to ship a package) they will have PO boxes to rent and will then accept shipments on your behalf and hold until you can pick them up.
SweetTart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

FedEx will hold them for you, and you can go pick them up after work. UPS does the same too. The P.O. Box fees are not worth it, and most places won't even deliver to them FYI.

And yeah, you can have them deliver it to your work, just make sure you give them the heads up.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:03 AM   #5
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

If I need to sign for a package I have it delivered to the office. No big deal.

There's a chance that the bank issuing your credit card might need to know your employer's address before allowing online purchases to be shipped to your office. This is an easy thing to correct by simply calling your CC issuer.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:16 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Are you in an area that is safe enough for them to just be dropped on the porch?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Rodimus Prime
Banned

I just have it delivered to work now days.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:21 AM   #8
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Many here have suggested that it be delivered at work, and that is what I have done as well. Granted, it depends on your workplace; whenever I worked in universities, there was no problem in having stuff delivered. Some offices might not be helpful, but, in my experience, allowing deliveries at your place of work is not usually a problem.

Other than that, a PO box, or a decent neighbour whom you know may be around to take delivery of the order, are other options.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Many here have suggested that it be delivered at work, and that is what I have done as well. Granted, it depends on your workplace; whenever I worked in universities, there was no problem in having stuff delivered. Some offices might not be helpful, but, in my experience, allowing deliveries at your place of work is not usually a problem.

Other than that, a PO box, or a decent neighbour whom you know may be around to take delivery of the order, are other options.
yeah it does depend on the office. Where I work they gladly accept it. The only thing we had requested of us was during Christmas was to come and get anything that was delivered ASAP from the mail room. Otherwise they are happy as long as we get our stuff by the end of the day.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:02 PM   #10
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post

The answer is simple, just stop ordering things online.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:18 PM   #11
TedM
macrumors 6502

if its expensive i wouldn't have it dropped at your porch. The other ideas are much better and safer.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:05 PM   #12
fiddlestyx
macrumors 6502

I usually just have things left at my door. Depending on whether they need a signature or not, you can call them ahead of time and wave that or leave a note on the door for them.

If its a really expensive item and don't think you're area is safe for things to be left at the door, do what others have suggested. Have it delivered to your work or call UPS/Fedex and have them hold it for you to pick up.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion